When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyone have an FT subscription? What's the gist? Are they not going to bother with "the rest of the population" mentioned in that report on the .gov site?

Being increasingly in my mid-forties and a bit tubby I'm starting to worry that I might somehow end up being in the highest risk group once everyone else is vaccinated.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, looks like the Moderna one isn't likely to be ready until March or April, at least in America, presumably the timeframes will be similar here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/covid-vaccine-spring-2021-moderna-ceo

You’d expect so. The J&J one is now in the largest trial yet (60,000 participants!). That one is a single shot with established technology and they are claiming a manufacturing capacity of a billion doses per year.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Anyone have an FT subscription? What's the gist? Are they not going to bother with "the rest of the population" mentioned in that report on the .gov site?

Being increasingly in my mid-forties and a bit tubby I'm starting to worry that I might somehow end up being in the highest risk group once everyone else is vaccinated.

• Upvote 1

Another story behind a paywall today was from The Times, who reported on a leak from the health ministry that Tory constituencies in affluent areas primarily in the South East aren't getting locked down with higher numbers than poor neighbourhoods in the North and Midlands that are.  The decision on whether your area gets locked down is a political one and not based on actual numbers.

Edited by Spindles

It's weird, I am very much of the opinion that anti-vaxxers are fringe nutjobs, but I'd not be keen to be an early participant in a brand new vaccine myself and am quite happy to maintain my lockdown lifestyle of only leaving the house for a weekly shopping trip indefinitely.  I can work from home, pay every bill online and speak to my doctor on the phone.  Literally the act of getting basic sustenance for me and the cat is the only reason to step outside and I am not in the least bit unhappy with that.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

It's weird, I am very much of the opinion that anti-vaxxers are fringe nutjobs, but I'd not be keen to be an early participant in a brand new vaccine myself and am quite happy to maintain my lockdown lifestyle of only leaving the house for a weekly shopping trip indefinitely.  I can work from home, pay every bill online and speak to my doctor on the phone.  Literally the act of getting basic sustenance for me and the cat is the only reason to step outside and I am not in the least bit unhappy with that.

You feeling better today ? 

I consider myself to be a pretty calm and collected person but whenever I think about how much this gang of crooks have fucked up (and still continue to fuck up) over the course of this pandemic and how they continue to not be held accountable, it fills me with an ire I’ve never felt for anything before in my life. When will they be held accountable!? 

I say I am calm and collected because surely there are people far less calm and collected than I am who must be filled with incandescent rage. Basically what I’m saying is, is that the more they get away with, the only way I can see them being held accountable and being removed from power is if we have a storming of the bastille moment :lol: 

• Like 1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

You feeling better today ? 

Yeah, much improved, energy returning and the aches have now gone, throat feels less ragged, just a bit headachey and dizzy, tight chest and the occasional quite frightening extended coughing fit where it's hard to get any inbound breath.  I've only got one functioning lung and experience chest pain and coughing fits are quite normal for me, but this has been very different to moving mucous, dry and hard to catch any breath.

But I'm good, I've had a test, daughter dropped shopping on the doorstep and I'll be back at work tomorrow evening (at home, in comfort, just answering customer emails for 8 hours).  I won't be running out of catfood, which was the main worry, and the ONS have been good enough to supply digital asda vouchers which made paying for it without having to hand her a card was easy, just send the url for the barcode to her phone and I was good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...it turns out rule of 6 isn't enough? And we're getting close to two weeks after the 10pm curfew and work from home ruling...so...more restrictions to come?

Our version of SAGE (NPHET) tonight just recommended putting the entire country at level 5 restrictions for 4 weeks (5km from you house max, no visitors, no outdoor gatherings, no sport, WFH, restaurants/pubs take away only etc...only differences from lockdown earlier in the year is that schools won’t close and non-essential shops will stay open)...being discussed at cabinet tomorrow (they we’re pretty shocked at the suggestion by all accounts)...so far the government haven’t rejected an NPHET recommendation, but it’s a new government, so let’s see...fwiw, we’re currently at around 104 per 100,000 cases nationally, so just below where the UK is as a whole.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

@Ozanne - got to admit it, you won

Time for lockdown IMO

Thanks, maybe I wasn't being all doom and gloom. ;)

Seriously though it's not about winning or anything. Trust me I wish the trends had been improving like you some had suggested it was. The data is there and it's important to review/analyse to see what's going on behind the headline figures, I'm not having a pop I realise I have loads of time on my hands to able to do that.

The concerning aspect for me still is that this is before the Winter, what happens when the weather is really bad, people are still inside and standard illnesses crop up more. We are seeing these cases now, before all of that. We need to get on top of this including the Government's own handling of it, and as people have said they seem to have made a good job of cocking every aspect of this up so I don't know how they can go about addressing this.