When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 hours ago, viberunner said:

More than one factor at play: how long the vaccine lasts, whether the virus mutates quickly enough to outpace vaccines, and of course in the rush-to-market any vaccine safety issues (real or imagined).

Certainly our only hope for the future is a vaccine, but it is a hope not a certainty.

It's very unlikely to mutate in a way that outpaces the vaccines. It's not like influenza.

Woah, just saw the news. Actually surprised he's only caught it now...

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Usually I’m one to throw out silly theories, but considering Trump’s track record, I wouldn’t at all surprise me if this is bullshit and a ploy to get out of the debates/lie about a strong recovery/say it wasn’t that bad/cancel or delay the election etc. The most surprising thing about this all is that he’s admitted it, immediately - that’s completely at odds with how Trump usually acts. 

Nah, I think he needs these debates as only way he can land a blow on Biden.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Woah, just saw the news. Actually surprised he's only caught it now...

Nah, I think he needs these debates as only way he can land a blow on Biden.

What he thinks is landing a blow is to everybody with any sense just an old man throwing a temper tantrum on the world stage. Despite him claiming he won the debate, he must know it was a total shitshow and did him no favours, and now that they’re talking about muting the non-talker during the next debate, all he has is policy talk, which he has none of. 

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Usually I’m one to throw out silly theories, but considering Trump’s track record, I wouldn’t at all surprise me if this is bullshit and a ploy to get out of the debates/lie about a strong recovery/say it wasn’t that bad/cancel or delay the election etc. The most surprising thing about this all is that he’s admitted it, immediately - that’s completely at odds with how Trump usually acts. 

Must admit, call me cynical but that was the first thought that came into my head. I’ve had a career seeing pupils feigning illness to avoid a Physics exam that they knew they were going to fail! Then again if it’s true the whole election process is thrown into turmoil 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

What he thinks is landing a blow is to everybody with any sense just an old man throwing a temper tantrum on the world stage. Despite him claiming he won the debate, he must know it was a total shitshow and did him no favours, and now that they’re talking about muting the non-talker during the next debate, all he has is policy talk, which he has none of. 

yeah true...but trying to make Biden trip up is all he has left....apart from defeating covid19 like a true American hero....

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah true...but trying to make Biden trip up is all he has left....apart from defeating covid19 like a true American hero....

He knows he’s fucked and knows he’s lost. These are the last desperate actions of somebody backed in to a corner. This is Hitler in the bunker kind of stuff. Fuck knows what his endgame is here if this is all lies, but something like using his absence from the public to flee to Russia doesn’t seem completely outrageous for somebody like Trump. It’s either that or a high chance of prison in a couple of months. 

I’ll take off my tinfoil hat now.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He knows he’s fucked and knows he’s lost. These are the last desperate actions of somebody backed in to a corner. This is Hitler in the bunker kind of stuff. Fuck knows what his endgame is here if this is all lies, but something like using his absence from the public to flee to Russia doesn’t seem completely outrageous for somebody like Trump. It’s either that or a high chance of prison in a couple of months. 

I’ll take off my tinfoil hat now.

why would he go to prison?

6 hours ago, viberunner said:

More than one factor at play: how long the vaccine lasts, whether the virus mutates quickly enough to outpace vaccines, and of course in the rush-to-market any vaccine safety issues (real or imagined).

Certainly our only hope for the future is a vaccine, but it is a hope not a certainty.

it's a bit much to say a vaccine is our only hope for the future!

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

That's what I thought too.

46 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah probably. I know it's my decision (and hers) to make really. Just gutted as had been agonising about this all week as it is. 

Could you meet your friend outside, 2m apart and with masks on? Not ideal, but better than nothing.

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Maybe he thinks this will give him the sympathy vote- the brave President fighting his way through illness etc etc Or it might give him an excuse to postpone the election. Of course if he doesn’t get really ill and recovers it will show him “fit and strong”  - either way I expect his team will play an angle. Not that I would wish a serious outcome on anyone. 

53 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

he's gonna use it as an excuse to cancel the election.

Probably. Didn't Johnson get a boost in popularity when he got ill and recovered? We'll never hear the end of it when he's recovered

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

why would he go to prison?

Taxes. Colluding with foreign countries on election tampering. Withholding  military aid for Ukraine. Obstruction of justice over the Russia investigation. There’s a bunch of stuff. Whether anything will actually be done about all that once he’s not president is another thing as he could easily receive a pardon, but those are all very real things he could go to prison for the moment he’s no longer in power, hence why he’s so desperate to call the election rigged before it’s even happened.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Taxes. Colluding with foreign countries on election tampering. Withholding  military aid for Ukraine. Obstruction of justice over the Russia investigation. There’s a bunch of stuff. Whether anything will actually be done about all that once he’s not president is another thing as he could easily receive a pardon, but those are all very real things he could go to prison for the moment he’s no longer in power, hence why he’s so desperate to call the election rigged before it’s even happened.

Yeah, maybe...but he won't be the first US president doing some of this dodgy stuff that soon gets forgotten about,

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

That's what I thought too.

Could you meet your friend outside, 2m apart and with masks on? Not ideal, but better than nothing.

We could (albeit several hours away) but the weather is supposed to be shit. I don't really want her to be outside in the rain for any period of time as she's been feeling like crap. It's such a difficult thing to navigate.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Probably. Didn't Johnson get a boost in popularity when he got ill and recovered? We'll never hear the end of it when he's recovered

You're getting ahead of yourself.

He's perfect target age for covid, and not the world's healthiest man. There's the possibility that he'll have it more severely than Spaffer with a longer recovery or no recovery at all.