When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54371943

On this standardised approach I expect everywhere to be level 2 by November, and most places level 3 by February as real winter kicks in...

So national lockdown without ever having to say and be that unpopular 

By February though rates of winter illnesses like flu tend to be heading downwards, or are about to head downwards.

I expect something similar and we'll see the real winter peak here this side of Christmas. 

No science behind that, just my own wishful thinking.

36 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Thats what I had thought although with all this focus on cases, what has been overlooked is the mortality rate has not gone up? (red on the chart below is mortality figures)

Why is this? more testing than before so higher figures or is it that those who were sadly affected in the first wave were the most vulnerable in society and a years worth of mortalities happened in a small period hence that first hump?

CHARTS.jpg

Don’t forget from March the vast majority of vulnerable and extremely vulnerable were shielding and should have been shut away ... so it’s not over for them ... they are having to function and take risks back in society again 

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

By February though rates of winter illnesses like flu tend to be heading downwards, or are about to head downwards.

I expect something similar and we'll see the real winter peak here this side of Christmas. 

No science behind that, just my own wishful thinking.

surely Jan/Feb is when the shit hits the fan after a christmas when everyone ignored the restrictions.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I just encountered a real life anti masker in Sainsbury’s, walking up and down the aisles ranting about muzzles with not a soul listening.

Weirdest thing was he had a mask on. How very British to moan about the rules while observing them. 

What’s one of my Facebook contacts doing in your Sainsbury’s .... :) 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not being all doom and gloom. In fact 2 days this week I’ve spent my own time finding different sets of data, compiling the information, analysing what I think the data means and sharing it all with people here. Take today for example the BBC story was shared about the Imperial College report, I went to find the report, read it shared some of the aspects I thought were important as I thought people might want to see the data meant. I don’t have to do that, but I have at least spent my own time and effort so there’s at least some information to support my comments. Most of the time I’ve done that to no appreciation from anyone but I still carry on to do so, I’m starting to wonder why I put the effort in. I’m not plucking an arbitrary figure out of thin air.

The insensitive comment is in regards to playing a guessing game of case numbers and also saying over 7,500 cases is good when it’s doubled in 2 weeks. That comment wasn’t about a general discussion or case number movements. 

I value your posts and contributions, I don't really break things down into positive and negative- it is what it is, I can handle either.

Think where clashes between posters are arising it's just a case of incompatible processes, some people prefer to 'think positive' and find 'negative' stuff threatening, while others prefer to prepare themselves for the worse and find 'positive' stuff more threatening as it gets their hopes up. There's no right or wrong to me, I think it's nice we have a variety of viewpoints, it means everyone can get something of what they need

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fucks' sake, I've been supplementing with Vitamin D for months.  As long as you don't go overboard, it's safe + cheap and seems to be linked to better outcomes.  Why has it taken them so bloody long?

Because they've been doing nothing and when asked about it they have lied. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I value your posts and contributions, I don't really break things down into positive and negative- it is what it is, I can handle either.

Think where clashes between posters are arising it's just a case of incompatible processes, some people prefer to 'think positive' and find 'negative' stuff threatening, while others prefer to prepare themselves for the worse and find 'positive' stuff more threatening as it gets their hopes up. There's no right or wrong to me, I think it's nice we have a variety of viewpoints, it means everyone can get something of what they need

centrist

On 9/29/2020 at 2:56 PM, Fuzzy Afro said:

I mean, you’re correct in saying that vaccine approval isn’t the end game, but OTOH we don’t need every single person to have been vaccinated in order to start getting back to normal. Once the vulnerable have been vaccinated we can allow more personal choice in how people want to behave. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54371559

Lengthy article, with some things to be cheerful about, and many others that might dampen than optimism, but well worth a read.

Even an effective coronavirus vaccine will not return life to normal in spring, a group of leading scientists has warned.

A vaccine is often seen as the holy grail that will end the pandemic.

But a report, from researchers brought together by the Royal Society, said we needed to be "realistic" about what a vaccine could achieve and when.

They said restrictions may need to be "gradually relaxed" as it could take up to a year to roll the vaccine out.

22 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

image.thumb.png.37b79f98f6d20f039385e3d913b26185.pngThis seems promising across the board - hope we continue a downward trend.

A gap starting to open between tests and capacity looks positive too ...... although im sure someone is going to correct me ... I also heard earlier that 24 hour result turnaround had improved 

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54371559

Lengthy article, with some things to be cheerful about, and many others that might dampen than optimism, but well worth a read.

Even an effective coronavirus vaccine will not return life to normal in spring, a group of leading scientists has warned.

A vaccine is often seen as the holy grail that will end the pandemic.

But a report, from researchers brought together by the Royal Society, said we needed to be "realistic" about what a vaccine could achieve and when.

They said restrictions may need to be "gradually relaxed" as it could take up to a year to roll the vaccine out.

So while the vaccine is being rolled out, we might have some sort of interim restrictions? Say, no mass gatherings above 30, 1m social distancing, hand washing, face coverings etc

I think most could probably live with that. My best guess remains that life will return largely to normal once the vulnerable have been jabbed, but perhaps with some minor restrictions to prevent major outbreaks among the healthy population. I think the government will be pretty relaxed about small outbreaks among the healthy population at that point, although they’ll continue to offer advice on how to avoid the virus, bearing in mind that everyone has their own risk tolerance (Knowing what I know now about long covid, I think I would be reasonably careful even if the law didn’t require me to) 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I agree. This has been the case since the very first coronavirus thread when anyone who was remotely negative about the festival going ahead got jumped on as being a doomer. Likewise anyone being overly positive got pulled down (sometimes by me, I'll admit). One of the things this pandemic has taught me is that people process this kind of stuff in very different ways.

ordered an LED facemark today with programmable message  .... will post video when it arrives .....  any suggestions for suitable messages ? need to be short and to the point ... but without swearing as its for work :) was thinking of a basic .... thankyou for wearing a face covering and protecting others ..... think it needs to be shorter than that though