When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

See, I actually found all that a bit ghoulish and insensitive. I feel the same about people guessing the case numbers too. But I don't call people out on it because I recognise that different people have different ways of processing and coping with the shit we're all dealing with at the moment.

Not telling you to stop doing it, it's just from my perspective I was reading a comment from one of the ghoulish numbers people criticising another ghoulish numbers person for being too insensitive and not thinking about people's lives. I essentially agreed with you, but to me you also do the same thing.

And you can and you should do that, but I think it's worth extending that same level of acceptance to others, is all.

I know you aren’t telling me to stop. I kind of had the feeling that I try to put in effort to find out more data, share it then and it falls on death ears which has kind of made me wondered why I bother to put effort in. I know people didn’t ask for it and I don’t want a pity party; I might just save myself the time. 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

See, I actually found all that a bit ghoulish and insensitive. I feel the same about people guessing the case numbers too. But I don't call people out on it because I recognise that different people have different ways of processing and coping with the shit we're all dealing with at the moment.

Not telling you to stop doing it, it's just from my perspective I was reading a comment from one of the ghoulish numbers people criticising another ghoulish numbers person for being too insensitive and not thinking about people's lives. I essentially agreed with you, but to me you also do the same thing.

And you can and you should do that, but I think it's worth extending that same level of acceptance to others, is all.

So hang on, posting any numbers good or bad is “insensitive”?

I am failing to understand where you’re coming from here. Surely the numbers are important? 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I know you aren’t telling me to stop. I kind of had the feeling that I try to put in effort to find out more data, share it then and it falls on death ears which has kind of made me wondered why I bother to put effort in. I know people didn’t ask for it and I don’t want a pity party; I might just save myself the time. 

I genuinely think it might be a good idea for you to step back from posting so much on this thread and taking it so seriously. It really doesn't seem to be doing you good sometimes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

its an emotive subject ... resists the obvious response :) 

Yep exactly. 

By all accounts, this is a negative thread, called when will this shit end about a global pandemic and the abhorrent state of British politics. Understandably people are upset and there's a lot more negative spins than positive outlooks. It's almost as bad as when muse and coldplay were announced to headline 2016. 

But on the other end of the spectrum there is insanely important and constructive information about the virus and people going to great efforts to finding and explaining information about vaccines, immunity.  

But yeah to all the people hoping don't take a negative spin of this, if you don't want to be in a gloomy thread maybe steer clear of the one about the pandemic called "when will this shit end?"

But overall I get a lot of hope from this thread, from toilet ducks vaccine posts to just the fact that you are all intelligent people thinking deeply and intensely about our current situation and the humorous approach to some of the governments antics are always a good way to approach such incompetence

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

This is quite a good easy summary of the measures by the daily fail (although Bolton has just changed today on pubs opening again)

rule 1-10-20.jpg

Those ‘travel outside the area’ things seem to be wrong. I’ve not heard that, it only references public transport use. In fact GOV website says ‘you can still go on holiday outside of the affected local areas’

To be fair Ozanne was just analysing the numbers further and coming to conclusion as things might not be as good as the headline...and then he just gets accused of being overly pessimistic. Some on here are very optimistic. Ozanne is also critical of those playing at guess the case numbers (which includes me), as that trivialises what is a serious issue for many.

• Like 2

Just now, mikegday said:

Those ‘travel outside the area’ things seem to be wrong. I’ve not heard that, it only references public transport use. In fact GOV website says ‘you can still go on holiday outside of the affected local areas’

I know the new liverpool restrictions include updated guidance about no non essential travel

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I genuinely think it might be a good idea for you to step back from posting so much on this thread and taking it so seriously. It really doesn't seem to be doing you good sometimes.

Somewhat patronising....I think @Ozannecan make his own mind up on that one to be honest.

On the content aspect.....I for one appreciate the data and analysis input that @Ozannebrings to this thread.  Please carry on 👍

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

Yep exactly. 

By all accounts, this is a negative thread, called when will this shit end about a global pandemic and the abhorrent state of British politics. Understandably people are upset and there's a lot more negative spins than positive outlooks. It's almost as bad as when muse and coldplay were announced to headline 2016. 

But on the other end of the spectrum there is insanely important and constructive information about the virus and people going to great efforts to finding and explaining information about vaccines, immunity.  

But yeah to all the people hoping don't take a negative spin of this, if you don't want to be in a gloomy thread maybe steer clear of the one about the pandemic called "when will this shit end?"

But overall I get a lot of hope from this thread, from toilet ducks vaccine posts to just the fact that you are all intelligent people thinking deeply and intensely about our current situation and the humorous approach to some of the governments antics are always a good way to approach such incompetence

That’s a good take on the matter. Plus I think we could all (me included) be a bit more appreciative of when someone does go out of their way to provide data or analysis that they feel might be useful. I’m not having a pop at anyone I’m guilty of it too. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

To be fair Ozanne was just analysing the numbers further and coming to conclusion as things might not be as good as the headline...and then he just gets accused of being overly pessimistic. Some on here are very optimistic. Ozanne is also critical of those playing at guess the case numbers (which includes me), as that trivialises what is a serious issue for many.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. My only main issue with you is you are one of my main rivals for top post count in the thread 😜

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Somewhat patronising....I think @Ozannecan make his own mind up on that one to be honest.

On the content aspect.....I for one appreciate the data and analysis input that @Ozannebrings to this thread.  Please carry on 👍

Thanks! 

I think the obsession with focussing on the daily number of positive cases is somewhat skewing the bigger picture with the whole situation. It’s data that we have never had such direct access to before with any virus, so taking the data and processing it how we see fit is new to us all - what some see as half empty, some see as half full.
But there is obviously no denying that this is a shit situation. 

This is obviously different to the flu, but if in 2019 we’d had a daily tracker of the number of cases, and we saw it double as we moved from August into October, then I’m sure some would have started reacting in a similar way to this. 

Edited by st dan

6 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Maybe it was but it wasn't meant to be.

I do think the amount some people here are following every single bit of info re Covid is extremely unhealthy. It is good to be informed and I guess a lot more people have a lot more time on their hands atm but that is just my two cents.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

now that is good news ... any increased testing is good ...... any complaints ? no good :) 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

I think the obsession with focussing on the daily number of positive cases is somewhat skewing the bigger picture with the whole situation. It’s data that we have never had such direct access to before with any virus, so taking the data and processing it how we see fit is new to us all - what some see as half empty, some see as half full.
But there is obviously no denying that this is a shit situation. 

I mean it is an important part of tracking a virus though. The weird number guessing aside, the figures are posted when they come out and talked about abit on this forum and then people move on when theres other stories. Honestly there's no more obsession with the numbers than there is pmqs or press conferences, it's just we have the numbers frequently so obviously people will talk about them, but it's never out of context of the entire thread which is a round picture of everything to do with the virus and the virus response

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The tests would be done privately, costing passengers around £150.

I'll take the quarantine thanks......

13 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I mean it is an important part of tracking a virus though. The weird number guessing aside, the figures are posted when they come out and talked about abit on this forum and then people move on when theres other stories. Honestly there's no more obsession with the numbers than there is pmqs or press conferences, it's just we have the numbers frequently so obviously people will talk about them, but it's never out of context of the entire thread which is a round picture of everything to do with the virus and the virus response

Completely understand where you’re coming from, but isn’t the negativity being driven from the increase in daily figures, in particular positive cases rising rapidly?
If we didn’t have access to these figures isn’t there things to be more positive about i.e. social distancing measures in place compared to the Spring, new and effective ways of treating the virus, hopefully a vaccine not too far away etc. 

Edited by st dan
Not ready for another virus just yet!!

1 minute ago, st dan said:

If we didn’t have access to these figures isn’t there things to be more positive about i.e. social distancing measures in place compared to the Spring, new and effective ways of treating the virus, hopefully a virus not too far away etc. 

Looking forward to the next pandemic already?

5 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Swissport and Collinson......aviation service providers.

I’m actually shocked. From first glances around the web, neither of them seem to have connections to the Tories. This can’t be right. Our government giving a lucrative contract to someone other than their friends.