When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Anyone know if this app would work abroad?

Eg if you were in another country in a large group of people where there was a substantial UK contingent, if they had the app installed, would it still operate as planned? Asking for a friend 😷

Any ideas?

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I mean, 7500 cases would still be 7500 too many. That goes without saying. But my point is that if it is 7500 and there’s no reporting backlog, that would constitute emerging evidence that the rule of six is slowing the growth of the second wave, which would be good news. 

But not the most important day ever though.

We should also show some level of respect to people who are picking U.K. the virus, imagine if you were one of them and you then saw people saying that’s it’s a good day with 7,500 new cases. I know I’d feel pretty bad that my diagnoses was being viewed that way. It’s just showing some empathy, it’s the same as playing the guessing game of how many new cases we are going to have today. This is people’s lives we are talking about not another round of Pointless. 

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Anyone know if this app would work abroad?

Eg if you were in another country in a large group of people where there was a substantial UK contingent, if they had the app installed, would it still operate as planned? Asking for a friend 😷

Any ideas?

This should explain matters and the link below is from that image too. 
https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01301/en-us

96721A24-6FA6-4246-8108-12814A14A17F.jpeg

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Wonder if they’ll go with a Red-Amber-Green status. Maybe that’s the wrong way to message it, because it risks people in Green areas becoming complacent. They’d still need to follow the national rules. 

But the gist of it would be:

Red areas: All national restrictions plus a ban on households mixing in all indoor and outdoor settings, hospitality restricted to takeaway only and guidance to use public transport for essential purposes only. (Burnley, Bolton, Liverpool and surrounding areas, possibly Manchester)

Amber areas: All national restrictions plus a ban on indoor gatherings within households or gardens. (Rest of the NW not covered by Red restrictions, North East, Leicester, possibly London if rates worsen)

Green areas: National restrictions only 

Different levels of lockdown seems more confusing. Should be either locked down or not locked down. 

Why do the government have to confuse things or have they spent loads of money on 3 panel graphic templates and they are trying to get their money’s worth. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This should explain matters and the link below is from that image too. 
https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01301/en-us

96721A24-6FA6-4246-8108-12814A14A17F.jpeg

Cheers, but I'd already had a look that and it doesn't actually answer my query. I wouldn't expect it to link in with apps from other countries at the moment, but as it's bluetooth based, if a contingent of, say, 50 UK nationals had the app installed and were together in a third non UK country, would notifications show up from them?

30 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Is it showing it’s improving things though? Because if you go from the first graph it shows prevalence is increasing slightly which is probably down to NW and NE, they even state in their own report that prevalence of swab positivity has increased, 7 fold increases in over 65s and all regions of the country showed a rise with highest prevalence in the North West and five-fold increase in prevalence in London over this period. With the caveat of indications in recent data showing that the rate of increase in prevalence may have slowed.

Yes it’s not doubling every week like the CMO and CSO said could happen which would indicate that R wasn’t 1.7 like in the previous report so we should take with a pinch of salt the current report indicating a standalone R of 1.1 now. 

The papers says its changed from 1.7-1.1 to 1.5-0.7

Of course, its not great and the R rate isnt the only metric, but at the same time, it is fair to say there has been some improvements from the last paper. 

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Of course, its not great and the R rate isnt the only metric, but at the same time, it is fair to say there has been some improvements from the last paper. 

yeah, nationally looks like things are improving and current restrictions are working....but in some areas infection rate still pretty high which is why imposing stricter local restrictions.

27 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Different levels of lockdown seems more confusing. Should be either locked down or not locked down. 

Why do the government have to confuse things or have they spent loads of money on 3 panel graphic templates and they are trying to get their money’s worth. 

Cmon, surely you can understand the need for a nuanced approach that is not “go around licking door handles and spreading the virus to every Tom, Dick and Harry so we have herd immunity by next Tuesday” but is also not “STAY AT HOME!!! DEFCON FIVE LOCKDOWN EVERYONE WILL BE DEAD BY THE END OF OCTOBER!!!”

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think it’s probably fairer to say it’s improving in some areas and maybe in some groups of people but not others. 
However if you go by their first data set in graph A it continues to show increases. The data that indicates improvements is fairly all over the place. They are saying prevalence has increases in those areas I’ve states but it only may be improving now. 

33 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Cheers, but I'd already had a look that and it doesn't actually answer my query. I wouldn't expect it to link in with apps from other countries at the moment, but as it's bluetooth based, if a contingent of, say, 50 UK nationals had the app installed and were together in a third non UK country, would notifications show up from them?

Ah sorry mate, I’m not too sure on that. From what I read I would say that doesn’t work yet but they are working on it?

As somebody who lives in the NW now affected by these new restrictions, not quite sure they go far enough to stop the spread, which has been increasing at a rapid rate even since the rule of 6 was brought in. 
I wouldn’t have thought that many people were still going to pubs/restaurants etc mixing with other households even if they were ‘allowed’ to. The pubs around me have appeared very quiet (mainly couples) when I have walked by. 
And surely the few that were mixing up to 6 (assuming this was predominantly under 25s) were not the direct contributors to the increase? Most people I know who have been affected have picked it up at work/through families at school etc. 

Edited by st dan

Anything yet on when these are coming into force? Is it immediate, for once?

I'm fine with it. It needs to be done. The galling thing is that on Sunday a friend and I were due to go for afternoon tea to commemorate the actual due date of her son who was tragically born and lived for just 15 minutes, a few months ago. Every step of the way through this pandemic she's just had more shit thrown her way, and we've been looking forward to this as a nice thing to do. Would be just like everything so far that this gets called off just out of time.

10 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I'm fine with it. It needs to be done. The galling thing is that on Sunday a friend and I were due to go for afternoon tea to commemorate the actual due date of her son who was tragically born and lived for just 15 minutes, a few months ago. Every step of the way through this pandemic she's just had more shit thrown her way, and we've been looking forward to this as a nice thing to do. Would be just like everything so far that this gets called off just out of time.

can you find an outdoor area like a pub garden?

11 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

oh man that is so sad. I expect it is immediate, but don't know. You could meet and sit outside...or go for a walk or something? Weather forecast isn't great though.