When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-25-september-2020/jcvi-updated-interim-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

A well written and clear piece on vaccine prioritisation from the government...

(For once not sarcasm) 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

I do wish just for one day I had half of your knowledge though I do suspect my first thought would then be 'so I know where we can get some of Elvis's DNA... let's clone the fucker'.

We could do John Bonham, Bowie, Lennon and a bunch of others while we were at it and make a hell of a pyramid stage lineup!

However, while we absolutely could clone a human (no different to cloning a sheep or an Afghan hound!, we just choose not to as a society), unfortunately it’s not a simple as Jurassic Park made it out to be (though filling in the blanks with frog DNA was a good idea)...the bits of DNA in Elvis’s socks would be pretty fragmented and we’d need an intact genome to make him again. Once that was achieved, we’d have to painstakingly recreate every single thing he experienced in his life to get Elvis 2.0 out the other end (our genes are just the blueprint, our environment controls them!). I don’t know if we’ll have time before June! 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://investor.regeneron.com/news-releases/news-release-details/regenerons-regn-cov2-antibody-cocktail-reduced-viral-levels-and

Just saw this - a study into drugs used on non hospitalised patients, which on the surface sounds very promising. @Toilet Duck what do you reckon? 

Good to see more trials in non-hospitalised patients, though these will be massively expensive. I’d like to see proper trials of steroids in non-hospitalised cases (there may be some, I just haven’t found them). Anecdotally, I know some GPs prescribing steroids for more serious cases before they end up in hospital (this is commonly used for other forms of community acquired pneumonia), so it would be good to get hard data on whether they reduce hospital admissions (and they are all off patent, cheap as chips and available as generics). There’s over 60 vitamin D trials ongoing as well, would be quite happy to see those work out too (I’ve no dog in the fight as to which treatment works, just so long as something does and is properly proven to do so).. 

4 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Fair enough, I posted it to show the actual death figures may not be that accurate, (same as the test figures), everyone on this thread is obsessed with the figures, it's important to have some perspective and understand that the figures may not be as bad as they may appear.

The thing about the number of deaths is although there maybe the occasional person who died with COVID not from COVID included there is no reason to suppose that proportion is particularly on the rise so if recorded deaths are increasing then it's reasonable to say that deaths are increasing.

5 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

We could do John Bonham, Bowie, Lennon and a bunch of others while we were at it and make a hell of a pyramid stage lineup!

However, while we absolutely could clone a human (no different to cloning a sheep or an Afghan hound!, we just choose not to as a society), unfortunately it’s not a simple as Jurassic Park made it out to be (though filling in the blanks with frog DNA was a good idea)...the bits of DNA in Elvis’s socks would be pretty fragmented and we’d need an intact genome to make him again. Once that was achieved, we’d have to painstakingly recreate every single thing he experienced in his life to get Elvis 2.0 out the other end (our genes are just the blueprint, our environment controls them!). I don’t know if we’ll have time before June! 

we could take out the straight up racist bits.

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

The gov.uk site has been pretty clear and good throughout this - even with the sometimes confusing rules.

What time is the briefing today? Boris will be exhausted doing that and PMQs in one day...

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Morning. Just watched a few clips of Trump vs Biden. Kind of grim...Trump really has taken everything down to the gutter. Oh, and errr...covid related...Trump brought up Biden/Obama's handling of swine flu...not sure he was ever going to win that one.

Trump and his White House Press Secretary always do that with Obama, when someone points out one of his many failings they just respond with ‘Well under Obama...’ It’s pathetic his obsession with Obama. 

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Morning. Just watched a few clips of Trump vs Biden. Kind of grim...Trump really has taken everything down to the gutter. Oh, and errr...covid related...Trump brought up Biden/Obama's handling of swine flu...not sure he was ever going to win that one.

I saw about the last 25 minutes of it, and it was pretty terrible - both of them and the 'host' were often talking over each other. 

My thoughts on it were that no one really won, tho Biden held it together and made a few positive points.

But mostly Trump was leading what happened with his disruption thing, which reminded me of the saying: Never Wrestle with a Pig. You Both Get Dirty and the Pig Likes It. ;)

I reckon it would be improved with a female host, as that might take some of the steam out of Trump.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I saw about the last 25 minutes of it, and it was pretty terrible - both of them and the 'host' were often talking over each other. 

My thoughts on it were that no one really won, tho Biden held it together and made a few positive points.

But mostly Trump was leading what happened with his disruption thing, which reminded me of the saying: Never Wrestle with a Pig. You Both Get Dirty and the Pig Likes It. ;)

I reckon it would be improved with a female host, as I reckon that might take some of the steam out of Trump.

seeing where polls are, no one winning is a win for Biden, right?

Just now, eFestivals said:

depends how you look at it. I don't think it changed anyone's mind. 

Personally I'm shit scared that the polls are missing silent Trumpers, too embarrassed to go public with how they'll vote.

^^

I’m worried Biden isn’t the right guy to take on someone like Trump.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

seeing where polls are, no one winning is a win for Biden, right?

Arguably not.

If people who are undecided look at this and think "wait, he's no better", then they might decide to stick with what they know. There's always a risk of people choosing the incumbent by default if they don't feel the alternative has made the case for change.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

^^

I’m worried Biden isn’t the right guy to take on someone like Trump.

Thinking about the American electorate, they aren’t all that different to our electorate here. Only difference is that the centre of gravity is more to the right over there.

I’m not sure there really was a stand out candidate to take down Trump in the Democrat party. Bernie Sanders was far too left wing, he’s the American Corbyn. Had he been in there, I think Trump would have been re-elected without a doubt. Biden ticks the boxes from a centrist point of view but may lack the charisma to stand up to Trump in the debates. 

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon it would be improved with a female host, as that might take some of the steam out of Trump.

FB676EB8-1C4C-47B2-A99B-3E30618E4EAA.jpeg