When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, zeppelin said:

Hmm, so a friend I spent all day drinking with in a couple of bars on Saturday had a temperature on Sunday. He had a test yesterday and just got a positive result back.

Does this mean I have to self-isolate?

Self-isolate for 14 days from Saturday*, if you get symptoms, isolate for 10 days from the onset, even if that means your overall isolation period is more than or less than 14 days.

* if you didn’t come within 2m of your mate, you aren’t a close contact and don’t need to isolate. So if you genuinely practiced social distancing with him then you’re fine. 

34 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Random side thought but I find it a bit weird  how much some British people get emotionally invested in the American election.

Like, I agree Trump is a total nutcase and I’d 100% be voting Biden if I lived over there, but some Brits that I know in real life are planning wild celebrations if Biden wins and I just can’t imagine ever getting all that invested in another country’s politics. Especially given all the other murderous dictators and far right arseholes in the world that we’d never dream of protesting against. 

Maybe because they are the most powerful country in the world, and supposedly we have a special relationship, and Trump is a little bit fascist to say the least, and we need a US leader who believes in multilaterism if we're going to do anything about man made climate change.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s just childish, I gave you a valid reason for why I downvoted you.

Are you sure you’re not another one of our estranged friends multiple accounts. 

well, to be honest the whole upvote downvote thing on this website is childish, but I'll upvote you again and then all is well in the world.

5 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Hmm, so a friend I spent all day drinking with in a couple of bars on Saturday had a temperature on Sunday. He had a test yesterday and just got a positive result back.

Does this mean I have to self-isolate?

In theory yes. Your friend should also be informing the bars that they have a positive test after visiting them. It doesn’t mean they picked up the virus in the bars but they could have been spreading it around and other people who were in the vicinity should also know. 

Have you installed the app and was it used to check in at the bars?

I’m taking extra interest in this case as we live in the same city and it will be interesting to see if the app works and people get informed by it. 

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Self-isolate for 14 days from Saturday*, if you get symptoms, isolate for 10 days from the onset, even if that means your overall isolation period is more than or less than 14 days.

* if you didn’t come within 2m of your mate, you aren’t a close contact and don’t need to isolate. So if you genuinely practiced social distancing with him then you’re fine. 

Sat across a pub table, I think the likelihood is low but I'll err on the side of caution.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

In theory yes. Your friend should also be informing the bars that they have a positive test after visiting them. It doesn’t mean they picked up the virus in the bars but they could have been spreading it around and other people who were in the vicinity should also know. 

Have you installed the app and was it used to check in at the bars?

Yeah he's doing so. We all had the app and checked in at the venues so that should do part of it I believe as well.

I was going to run some errands today but put them off til tomorrow. Feels like a bad choice now.

24 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This also shows admission in hospitals in the last 5 days. Whilst some are dropping, in the NW & NE sadly that isn't the case.

Screenshot 2020-09-29 at 18.17.44.png

And people were questioning why I said a national lockdown would be unjust last week! It would be especially harsh on those of us in the south west if it was to ever happen.

Our figures are amazing considering...

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

And people were questioning why I said a national lockdown would be unjust last week! It would be especially harsh on those of us in the south west if it was to ever happen.

my figures have jumped from 0 cases per 100,000 to 10 cases per 100,000 in the space of 5 days .... low in comparison to the rest of the UK I know .... but on the rise quite quickly ...  so im not so sure ... of course not seen in hospitalisations yet 

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, to be honest the whole upvote downvote thing on this website is childish, but I'll upvote you again and then all is well in the world.

The upvote and downvotes are here to  indicate if a user generally provides useful or productive posts. Anyone with a high negative score can usually be identified as a troll and should really be ignored. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

This isn't aimed at you, but more in general- I feel we did all this back in March- a few weeks before the lockdown the attitude was "oh it's nothing" "it won't get too bad" "isn't it just like flu", then after we procrastinated so much and the s*** hit the fan, these same people who said it was nothing changed their tune to "it's so bad, there's nothing you can do about it, so we shouldn't bother"- I just feel there are some people that will oppose any lockdown regardless.

I think it's good hospitalisation rates are lower, and lets hope they stay low, but I'd rather be overly cautious than leave it too late like we did in March- it certainly paid of for those countries that were extra cautious (see Vietnam, New Zealand etc). Remember, hospitals will likely have less capacity than they did in March due to various winter ailments, so we have less margin for error (though I'm hoping flu isn't so wide spread this year with the extra vaccination and social distancing). The quicker we lockdown, the quicker we can end lockdown, the fewer people die.

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The SW has done really well all through the pandemic.

I think it's interesting see the admissions drilled down by region, which I guess is why I septs about 20 minutes putting the data together and sharing it 😂 I am that sad.