When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

...even to have a vaccine partly available in early part of next year is feckin incredible..considering how long it usually takes.

True that, although I guess the man-hours to develop this vaccine are the same as all other ones? It’s just that pretty much every vaccine boffin in the world has been all hands on deck with covid 

19 minutes ago, mcshed said:

The thing is I think it is perfectly reasonable for the Government to say things are going to be different for a long time so those who can find other work should do so. Those who can't find work should obviously have an expanded safety net rather than our miserly benefit system but they don't necessarily need the full 80% they are currently getting. So long as the businesses are protected so that there are "proper" jobs to go back to. In fact it could be argued that a lot of the furlough money would have been better spent supporting the industries worst effected and I say that as someone who is currently on furlough.

I object to this entirely, I am also on furlough and 80 percent of my paycheck is miserable. Most people who had been on furlough would probably be in my boat, where they were already on low paying jobs struggling to pay rent and then 20 percent was cut off he top. Which is okay for a short period. The government put furlough in place because they were hoping the virus wouldn't remain that long and now they know the virus is lasting longer they should be putting in more help not less. 

Yes the country will be different for a long term. But Germany was able to extend their furlough to 2021. If you need to target it to industries that have been affected by restrictions but the fact that there is nothing for so many is catastrophic. - There is simply not enough jobs, for everyone out of work to just get another job to tide them over. - Like you said the safety net is so small, that people will be putting themselves more and more in debt to survive. For example, My landlord let me pay 80 percent of my rent while i was on furlough, which i did assuming i'd be back at work by now, but i'm not, now I have rent arrears and am going into the next month not knowing if i still have a job. 

Also the industries affected, without support, will come back, but they'll come back significantly smaller and unable to facilitate the jobs it could before. For example, the film/tv industry has already been cancelling projects simply due to corona. Also the thousands or more people in late career roles in those industries, being told they should go back into the world of work and interviews to try and get minimum wage jobs. 

Now all generations will be competing for the same minimum wage jobs that are safe in a pandemic, shops etc etc. As someone who has been looking for jobs that are safe for a pandemic and "viable" those jobs often are only offering between 10-20 hours, which would mean making less than i do with 80 percent of my current dismal wage. - Rent doesn't stop, bills dont stop, job loss doesn't stop, but the government's support does. 

The new job retention scheme is dismal, it won't protect jobs, employers have come out in droves saying "why would i pay for hours not worked by the employee, when my business is already struggling" 

This is a shit show. 

Edited by ace56blaa

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

True that, although I guess the man-hours to develop this vaccine are the same as all other ones? It’s just that pretty much every vaccine boffin in the world has been all hands on deck with covid 

To be honest, the main accelerator has been the ability to manufacture "at risk" and that funding is available to push ahead with subsequent trial phases when the previous ones are still being evaluated. Normally this part takes ages, with funders poring over data before they pull the trigger on whether to pay for the next phase. It's one of the reasons some of the other vaccine candidates are being so aggressive in their self-promotion, they need someone to back them financially in order to continue what they are doing. Overlapping phases and going into human trials before all the pre-clinical data was fully analysed has moved things forward a bit more quickly, but again, needing to provide this sort of data as evidence to unlock the next tranche is usually what holds things up, so being able to do things in parallel was only made possible by funders abandoning the type of due diligence they normally do (the actual due diligence on the safety and efficacy of these vaccines doesn't appear to be being skipped by the way, just the normal way of paying for their development!). 

7 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I object to this entirely, I am also on furlough and 80 percent of my paycheck is miserable. Most people who had been on furlough would probably be in my boat, where they were already on low paying jobs struggling to pay rent and then 20 percent was cut off he top. Which is okay for a short period. The government put furlough in place because they were hoping the virus wouldn't remain that long and now they know the virus is lasting longer they should be putting in more help not less. 

Yes the country will be different for a long term. But Germany was able to extend their furlough to 2021. If you need to target it to industries that have been affected by restrictions but the fact that there is nothing for so many is catastrophic. - There is simply not enough jobs, for everyone out of work to just get another job to tide them over. - Like you said the safety net is so small, that people will be putting themselves more and more in debt to survive. For example, My landlord let me pay 80 percent of my rent while i was on furlough, which i did assuming i'd be back at work by now, but i'm not, now I have rent arrears and am going into the next month not knowing if i still have a job. 

Also the industries affected, without support, will come back, but they'll come back significantly smaller and unable to facilitate the jobs it could before. For example, the film/tv industry has already been cancelling projects simply due to corona. Also the thousands or more people in late career roles in those industries, being told they should go back into the world of work and interviews to try and get minimum wage jobs. 

Now all generations will be competing for the same minimum wage jobs that are safe in a pandemic, shops etc etc. As someone who has been looking for jobs that are safe for a pandemic and "viable" those jobs often are only offering between 10-20 hours, which would mean making less than i do with 80 percent of my current dismal wage. - Rent doesn't stop, bills dont stop, job loss doesn't stop, but the government's support does. 

The new job retention scheme is dismal, it won't protect jobs, employers have come out in droves saying "why would i pay for hours not worked by the employee, when my business is already struggling" 

This is a shit show. 

It really is a shit show, sorry you’re going through this mate. We really Government support to at the very least continue and not reduce going forward. 

11 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Now all generations will be competing for the same minimum wage jobs that are safe in a pandemic, shops etc etc. As someone who has been looking for jobs that are safe for a pandemic and "viable" those jobs often are only offering between 10-20 hours, which would mean making less than i do with 80 percent of my current dismal wage. - Rent doesn't stop, bills dont stop, job loss doesn't stop, but the government's support. 

This is a shit show. 

Doesn't the German scheme only top up part time wages rather than cover those who've completely lost work? 

The situation is shit, I don't think anyone is denying that but it sounds like a proper government organised rent holiday would be more helpful in your situation than necessarily guaranteeing 80% of your income in perpetuity.

Edited by mcshed

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I give him enough shit for everything he does, but at least he's apologised and corrected himself.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Is this his first apology since the pandemic began?

Apologised yes. But he didn't mis-speak. He clearly just didn't know. The man is a massive plank.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...even to have a vaccine partly available in early part of next year is feckin incredible..considering how long it usually takes.

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The flip side for me in how amazing it is to see things move at this speed with concerted and co-ordinated effort is the realisation (at least as your average joe in the street) of just how much could be achieved if the will to do so was actually there.

And that's not just the scientific developments either. It's not unreasonable to conclude that, after what was achieved during lockdown, something like homelessness in the UK could be dealt with if the will was there.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The flip side for me in how amazing it is to see things move at this speed with concerted and co-ordinated effort is the realisation (at least as your average joe in the street) of just how much could be achieved if the will to do so was actually there.

And that's not just the scientific developments either. It's not unreasonable to conclude that, after what was achieved during lockdown, something like homelessness in the UK could be dealt with if the will was there.

yep...and also the fact that austerity wasn't necessary.

2 minutes ago, mcmenace said:

Apologised yes. But he didn't mis-speak. He clearly just didn't know. The man is a massive plank.

I didn't realise the word was even in his vocabulary, so we should at least applaud little steps forward.  Like a child that still shits itself but has at least learned not to then smear it on its own face.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Doesn't the German scheme only top up part time wages rather than cover those who've completely lost work? 

The situation is shit, I don't think anyone is denying that but it sounds like a proper government organised rent holiday would be more helpful in your situation than necessarily guaranteeing 80% of your income in perpetuity.

I agree the furlough scheme didn't cover people who entirely lost work here either. But I'm sure the scheme has saved many employers from going out of business in germany and literally saved my job, i was let go before furlough was announced and then my work u-turned on that when furlough was announced. Also I wasn't calling for a extension to furlough per say, but something. There has to be something better than what they've done. 

But tbh extending the furlough would work for me. Because At least knowing what my future looks like I could prepare easier to pay off arrears etc etc. At the moment i have no identification from my work whether i still have a job at the end of october. 

I just wanted to point out that a lot of people on here seem to be in office jobs or jobs where they can work from home or just be older and longer into their career, whereas a young person just starting in the job market, this has cut the legs of our prospects and our future. - The majority of people did not get "too much " furlough 

And yes a rent holiday would have helped ALOT - But the government didn't do that. Simply doing that when we started the lockdown, putting more stress on landlords, who will largely have savings,  than on low income renters, who are working pay check to paycheck would mean im in a better situation now. 

Not having a go just wanted to give some perspective as I see so many people deciding the validity of government policy based on their own situations. "I don't need furlough so no one should have it" or "some people are scamming furlough so we should cut this lifeline" but the answer should be to work hard and put a better scheme in place then. 

But alas, the government doesn't care about making people jobless and homeless so why would i expect anything more. - not having a go at you btw just frustrated at the situation. 

• Like 2