When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Desmond Swayne wants Whitty and Vallance sacked for ‘terrifying the nation’, according to the Daily Heil...

I think their presentation last week was a bit wide of the mark, but sacking them would be utterly mental at this point. Especially Vallance who has been very impressive since day 1. 

Swayne is a bit of a nutter tbh. 

38 minutes ago, Padgey said:

And there was me thinking Glastonbury was what people live for every year!

Our holiday in June was cancelled.  We've made the decision not to book anything until there is more certainty about the virus, whether we are Covid-free or there is a vaccine, just don't feel comfortable travelling anywhere at the moment.  I took 2 weeks off in August and spent time with the kids at home and surrounding areas, certainly filled the gap of a holiday abroad. 

When I returned from furlough, my boss banned all holiday until 1st Oct. So since we got back from NZ at the beginning of Jan (that was a tell timed break in retrospect!) have only bee naway from our flat in London for a week in Dorset and a long weekend with friends in Norfolk. If anyone has any recommendations for any cracking Oct/Nov UK holiday destinations, I'm all ears!

Edited by Homer

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Zoe suggests another slight fall in infections in the 24 hours to 5am this morning! 

This Zoe ... who is she ? I’d like to get to know her better ... she seems to have a positive outlook at the moment ... haven’t seen any of her posts on here yet .... waits for festivalzoe username :) 

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

When I returned from furlough, my boss banned all holiday until 1st Oct. So since we got back from NZ at the beginning of Jan (that was a tell timed break in retrospect!) have been out of our flat in London for a week in Dorset and a long weekend with friends in Dorset. If anyone has any recommendations for any cracking Oct/Nov UK holiday destinations, I'm all ears!

Take the tent to the Shetlands in November, weather should be ideal! 😉

This is quite interesting. COVID patients in England up 10% which seems to be driven by the North West. It looks like we could experience something like the Italian first wave where it’s concentrated in specific regions. 
I get what he means about people thinking we’ve turned a corner, it’s not as straight forward as that. 

16 minutes ago, Homer said:

When I returned from furlough, my boss banned all holiday until 1st Oct. So since we got back from NZ at the beginning of Jan (that was a tell timed break in retrospect!) have only bee naway from our flat in London for a week in Dorset and a long weekend with friends in Norfolk. If anyone has any recommendations for any cracking Oct/Nov UK holiday destinations, I'm all ears!

We are going to Dorset for a week in October all being well. I know the weather will be shit, but it was more about getting away for us and seeing the sea. Like you I've not had a week off all year and only been away from home for a couple of family visits so I know where you're coming from. Personally I wouldn't go abroad but it is a personal choice and we have two vulnerable people we are still trying to see.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is quite interesting. COVID patients in England up 10% which seems to be driven by the North West. It looks like we could experience something like the Italian first wave where it’s concentrated in specific regions. 
I get what he means about people thinking we’ve turned a corner, it’s not as straight forward as that. 

Hospitalisations were actually down yesterday, so that suggests not many discharges. Perhaps the NHS is being more prudent about sending people home. 

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Hospitalisations were actually down yesterday, so that suggests not many discharges. Perhaps the NHS is being more prudent about sending people home. 

People in hospital with COVID 19 in England grew by 99 on the 27th, then by 162 on the 28th. This isn’t admissions it’s people in beds which is at the bottom of the dashboard. The admissions data only goes up to the 16th for the U.K. as a whole and 26th for England. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Expecting a huge increase in cases 8000-9000. I think it won’t hit 5 figures yet, but should be a big reporting backlog to catch up on.

If it’s 6500 or less then that’s a very good result 

It's bizarre to think we are in a real life version of this... 

PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHT – ADAM'S NOSTALGIC MEMORIES

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:Expecting a huge increase in cases 8000-9000. I think it won’t hit 5 figures yet, but should be a big reporting backlog to catch up on.

If it’s 6500 or less then that’s a very good result 

I reckon so too, 4000 yesterday just seemed suspicious. Especially when ZOE is estimating ~19,000 a day, to only be catching 20% of cases in testing would be very poor. 6000-8000 is more in the ball park of where the daily figures should accurately be at the moment I reckon, so the low number yesterday did surprise me

My wife works in a hospital as a respiratory physiotherapist and the majority of people testing positive in her hospital are coming in with other symptoms, and subsequently testing positive without even knowing they’ve got it. And this includes elderly patients. So they are then subsequently counted in the hospital stats of ‘admissions’. 
Worth also noting that we live in a high risk area in the NW, and there is currently nobody in ICU from COVID in her (very busy) hospital

1 minute ago, st dan said:

My wife works in a hospital as a respiratory physiotherapist and the majority of people testing positive in her hospital are coming in with other symptoms, and subsequently testing positive without even knowing they’ve got it. And this includes elderly patients. So they are then subsequently counted in the hospital stats of ‘admissions’. 
Worth also noting that we live in a high risk area in the NW, and there is currently nobody in ICU from COVID in her (very busy) hospital

You'll have some like that, which then fuels people claiming that as an ICU ward has no COVID patients, COVID is a hoax (not saying that's your intention by the way).

Take this hospital which is now receiving patients, their COVID ICU was empty 2 weeks ago.

47 minutes ago, Homer said:

I went to Antigua recently. The weather was ridiculously nice and hot, and aside from having to prove a negative Covid test result, it actually felt like the virus didn't exist. We obviously had to wear a mask on the flights but the flight was about 10% full. I took the risk and had the most relaxing, enjoyable holiday thanks very much.

I struggle staying motivated mentally if I don't have something to look forward to. This was the first year in 21 years that we haven't been to a festival. We also had a well timed holiday to Sri Lanka in March, so for me to go the whole year without a festival or holiday would have sent me over the edge. Now I'm ready to bunker down and see what happens over the next six months. 

Get away if you can!

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I think their presentation last week was a bit wide of the mark, but sacking them would be utterly mental at this point. Especially Vallance who has been very impressive since day 1. 

Swayne is a bit of a nutter tbh. 

Yeah, he’s definitely an odd one.

Why do you say that about Vallance and Whitty? I thought the general consensus was they spoke well and broke everything down into something that was understandable - if very much focusing on the worst case scenario.