When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

23 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I posted this elsewhere, but this tracker uses the gov.uk data and is usually pretty up to date.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

What is worrying is that the number of people in hospital has more than doubled in 14 days.

I’m in an optimistic mood today - if the cases continue to go down the ‘lag’ in hospital admissions should also go down in about 1-2 weeks 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks everyone was living up to my username for a bit there ... it just wasn't computing !! :) 

It is madness though - if I have Covid and enter a restaurant at 09:50 and I then test positive does everyone that was in the restaurant at somepoint that day even of they left before me get contacted? Surely having a check in and check out would reduce the number of people needing to be contacted and therefore free up capacity in the process. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

11 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

It is madness though - if I have Covid and enter a restaurant at 09:50 and I then test positive does everyone that was in the restaurant at somepoint that day even of they left before me get contacted? Surely having a check in and check out would reduce the number of people needing to be contacted and therefore free up capacity in the process. 

Yep that’s exactly my thoughts and why I would consider not checking in to somewhere ... it’s a financial hit isn’t it !! 

2 hours ago, onthebeach said:

Isn’t that what projections are though - based on the info at the time? I appreciate he was probably looking at a worse case model but quite feasible. Once you start looking at actual real time data on a fast rising out of control infection rate it’s too late. Though if it scared the s**t out of just a small percentage to be a bit more careful, as far as I’m concerned (if we hopefully keep on this course) he’s done his job. Though he mustn’t cry wolf too often

I hear what you’re saying but he also kept referring and comparing us to France and Spain, neither of which if I remember correctly saw their rate doubling every week, with it more being like doubling every 3 weeks, so I think it would have made more sense to show a slide based on a similar trajectory, one that now looks more likely than the scenario he presented only 7 days ago (obviously hoping my prediction here is wrong and that we continue to see a downward trend in case numbers)

You are 100% right though in that he shouldn’t cry wolf too often otherwise I fear more people just won’t listen to him, which would probably lead to more people breaking restrictions, which clearly would be completely counter productive.

23 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Well before the app when it was just handing over your details the contact tracers are supposed to ask you when you were at the restaurant a check in and out system is more accurate yes but either way they aren't going to ask every customer to isolate.

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep that’s exactly my thoughts and why I would consider not checking in to somewhere ... it’s a financial hit isn’t it !! 

I was meaning more that by not having to contact people who left the venue before the positive person wouldn't need to be contacted by track and trace freeing up their capacity.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Looks very good news to me ... @Toilet Duck .... thoughts ? Game changing ? Lots of new tests on the horizon ... what likely timescales for us in the U.K. ? Given that we tend to massively cock everything up 

Yes, these are the exact two tests that I was talking about recently. The SD Biosensor one is being manufactured in Europe by Roche (they’re at 50-80m a month capacity at the moment, started shipping on September 14th). The US have bought the first 3 months supply of the Abbott one. There’s 30 more that are similar and have the same level of approval last time I checked (a couple of weeks ago). To be honest, I’d be using these and hammering out licensing and manufacturing deals rather than sinking a pile of money into companies that have yet to bring a single test to market (and, there will probably be a u-turn on that too in order to deliver “moonshot”). 

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Manchester is just ridiculous. It needs a proper lockdown...

We've been in some sort of lockdown since end of July, we had 4 sets of rules (now 3) across the 10 boroughs... thing is I'm in Tameside and when I go out locally people are wearing masks, keeping their distance etc.. yet numbers have gone through the roof since everything opened up from 4th July

I'm just like errrggghh :huh:

Eat out to help out, the nice weather in August and more people in work places defo pushed the numbers up further though

Edited by shoptildrop

41 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Bolton creeping down again. Rest of GM still going up. Even Stockport is pushing 100 now.

FB_IMG_1601315977079.jpg

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I do like the graphics MEN are using. Does anyone know if other areas are showing their cases in a similar format? 

I can't help but read that chart with the Top of the Pops music in my head. 

Today's highest climber, it's Manchester at number 2 with 207.3

Edited by fatyeti24
  • Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I do like the graphics MEN are using. Does anyone know if other areas are showing their cases in a similar format? 

Two private twitter accounts I follow. The first is local to me - Leicester/Leicestershire. The other is countrywide - less ‘pretty’ but very informative 

AEE0120F-289C-4CE1-96BB-E6DAA852C0C6.jpeg

8758ECDC-4B30-43DB-A2A2-73980C3F69AF.jpeg

I’m seeing more and more things being posted on Facebook about how the second wave is being “faked”. Just disgusted when people are pushing this sort of information out. You only need to look at the hospitalisation figures to realise that it’s getting worse again (obviously not anything as bad as before but cases, hospitalisations and Ventilator figures are going up nonetheless).

Just really shocked that so many people are now spreading this “fake news” around and just really disgusted by anyone who pushes around that sort of information as i find it really inconsiderate to all those in hospital right now, those who have died recently from the virus and their loved ones around them.

Its really a free for all now isn’t it, rather than this whole “team effort” that Boris pushed for back in April. We’re in this on our own now, fending for ourselves.

• Upvote 2