When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not really a bubble of you can have several people from different households in it. The point of the bubble is to keep it limited and also aid people that currently live on their own.

Yeah, we're discussing a theoretical bubble situation as a way of dealing with the virus, rather than what the current rules. Something more restrictive than "rule of six" but less restrictive than "see no-one".

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I just think six is a weird number given most people's set-up in terms of families. But yeah we would just stick to ourselves in that situation. Any of our friends would likely choose family and having to decide which set of parents to bin off would be too political! 

Number wouldn't necessarily be six anyway, it's just theoretical. Honestly though I think if this was bought in a load of couples would start worrying about which parents they were going to bubble with, only to have both sets of parents turn around and go "actually we're going to bubble with our friends who we see more often than you anyway, thanks!"

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, you're prob right ta. Turkey is very much the place to go apparently. I understand that we will have to wear a mask everywhere, even the beach, but not around the hotel. Looks like we will stay in a hotel for two weeks and barely leave the pool bar the evenings. May even go half-board. This is very much not the sort of holiday I am used to!

I guess the only moral question is the risk of Brits taking the virus into Turkey but as long as you’ve been careful for the preceding two weeks then you’ll be fine. If they were worried about it, we wouldn’t be allowed in. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t meant to scare you but this was just published by the ONS.

EE813C5D-4BA4-4F61-9916-C43CFE29690F.jpeg

No worries, ta for the info. A week seems like an age away currently (going to go next Tuesday if we do at all), so not even going to bother to think about it/book until the end of the week. May as well do it after the Thurs lists come out. May be being thick but does it say what the explanation is? I guess where you go will make a difference too (Turkey is low at the moment... plus I do like a kebab).

5 minutes ago, mcshed said:

You can't just bubble with some friends or some family as you please you can only bubble with one single person household or with the household of your partner if that is applicable.

Or you can see up to six people, from any number of households, however often you want.

We're discussing the idea of limited social bubbles as a replacement for the rule of six, it has nothing to do with the current rules on bubbles for single people living alone.

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

You can't just bubble with some friends or some family as you please you can only bubble with one single person household or with the household of your partner if that is applicable.

Even if the rules say no bubbles, we'll be seeing my dad over winter. We lost my Mum last week, he's retired and we both work freelance from home and do nothing else at all. There is no chance I'm not seeing him over this time once we go back.

It's the chancers taking advantage of these unclear rules to see everyone they know that could ruin it for us

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I guess the only moral question is the risk of Brits taking the virus into Turkey but as long as you’ve been careful for the preceding two weeks then you’ll be fine. If they were worried about it, we wouldn’t be allowed in. 

Been doing my best - like everyone else, I guess. Luckily I had the foresight to move to London a decade ago - so I don't have many friends in the vicinity!

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

No worries, ta for the info. A week seems like an age away currently (going to go next Tuesday if we do at all), so not even going to bother to think about it/book until the end of the week. May as well do it after the Thurs lists come out. May be being thick but does it say what the explanation is? I guess where you go will make a difference too (Turkey is low at the moment... plus I do like a kebab).

I’ve gone through the data report and it doesn’t say why this is. Could be numerous things I suppose. For comparison here is the positivity rates between people that have gone abroad and those that haven’t. 

9919C9D9-5A55-4FEB-B7E3-92BC445BB534.jpeg

University update:

One friend has been told in the coming weeks all accommodation is going to be locked down due to rising cases and all teaching will go online.

Another friend has been made to sign a contract saying they won’t go home for Christmas.

I am very undecided whether to drop out or not, is this kinda stuff even legal...

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Even if the rules say no bubbles, we'll be seeing my dad over winter. We lost my Mum last week, he's retired and we both work freelance from home and do nothing else at all. There is no chance I'm not seeing him over this time once we go back.

It's the chancers taking advantage of these unclear rules to see everyone they know that could ruin it for us

I’m really sorry to hear that mate, what a tough time for you and your family. I hope you are ok all things considered. 

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

University update:

One friend has been told in the coming weeks all accommodation is going to be locked down due to rising cases and all teaching will go online.

Another friend has been made to sign a contract saying they won’t go home for Christmas.

I am very undecided whether to drop out or not, is this kinda stuff even legal...

surely not.

When do you have to make final decision? This is getting a lot of bad press...I can see some sort of deal where students can stay home and will get accomodation fees refunded...would leave many unis very short on cash though, another hole for the govt to plug maybe.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah, we're discussing a theoretical bubble situation as a way of dealing with the virus, rather than what the current rules. Something more restrictive than "rule of six" but less restrictive than "see no-one".

Number wouldn't necessarily be six anyway, it's just theoretical. Honestly though I think if this was bought in a load of couples would start worrying about which parents they were going to bubble with, only to have both sets of parents turn around and go "actually we're going to bubble with our friends who we see more often than you anyway, thanks!"

Yeah, the 6 people thing doesn't necessarily need to apply to a "bubble". I've basically seen the same 7 people for the last 6 months (apart form a couple of times at the end of July when there was no community transmission, and obviously didn't see any of them during lockdown). As it happens, this was the advice from our CMO this morning "Be a role model for others. Limit the number of people you meet, try and meet the same small group of people all the time, maintain two-metre physical distance, wear a face covering, wash your hands well and often. Keep it small, keep it safe, keep your distance”. Personally, I think it's fairly clear, eminently manageable and allows for social interaction but limits contacts. It's really just about not putting yourself into a high risk situation with loads of others, ie, reduce the potential for a super-spreading event (which now seems the main driver of infections). 

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Sounds like your dad is exactly the sort of single person household the "bubbles" were brought in to allow you to visit.

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

University update:

Trying to imagine being locked in halls with some of the bellends I went to uni with. I reckon there would have been a murder within a fortnight!

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Or you can see up to six people, from any number of households, however often you want.

We're discussing the idea of limited social bubbles as a replacement for the rule of six, it has nothing to do with the current rules on bubbles for single people living alone.

I thought people were talking about the current situation. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

surely not.

When do you have to make final decision? This is getting a lot of bad press...I can see some sort of deal where students can stay home and will get accomodation fees refunded...would leave many unis very short on cash though, another hole for the govt to plug maybe.

Need to decide by today/tomorrow really. I want to defer my place but I feel like they aren’t going to let me do it!!

If I could study online from home and have accommodation refunded then I would do that but it’s not an option!

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Trying to imagine being locked in halls with some of the bellends I went to uni with. I reckon there would have been a murder within a fortnight!

Exactly. Have no clue whether I will like the people in my halls and then being locked down with all of them and no in person classes just sounds grim.

12 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

University update:

Sounds illegal as fuck. What uni is this? 

15 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

University update:

Christ that is grim, I'd be intrigued to see the wording of that 'contract' - doubt it's enforceable! 

I've started a masters part time on the weekends in Bristol and commuting from Cardiff it's been weird to see the different rules e.g. 1m+ when wearing masks in Bristol but a blanket 2m in Wales. At this point, I'm fully expecting my next set of classes on the 10th/11th to be online. 

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Need to decide by today/tomorrow really. I want to defer my place but I feel like they aren’t going to let me do it!!

If I could study online from home and have accommodation refunded then I would do that but it’s not an option!

Exactly. Have no clue whether I will like the people in my halls and then being locked down with all of them and no in person classes just sounds grim.

Being a bit unfair there mate. As coincidentally said earlier, had to cancel a uni catchup next weekend. Four of the five people I was supposed to meet up with were in the same hall as me. So you will meet some sound people/friends for life, mostly.

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Guess it all depends how much the social side of going to University matters to you. Even with the teaching online, you can still get the work done and hopefully get the first year behind you in this madness, with the hope this will all be over by second year and you can enjoy the full experience then. I hated who I lived with it the first year and only enjoyed the full experience in years 2/3 when I moved into a house with other friends from the course etc.  

Edited by st dan

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

It’s worth thinking about the sunken cost fallacy btw. If your teaching is online and you’d be happier at home, you’re better staying at home even if you still need to pay your rent. No point moving into halls if it’s going to make you unhappy when your bank balance is affected the same either way. 

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

What are you going to university to study, and what are your reasons for wanting to go? Would you be umming and arrring irrespective of Covid, it's perfectly natural to be nervous about going to university it's a leap into the unknown (without all this other stuff). 

Taking Manchester as an example, Man Met has less than 1% of students infected with Covid - it's only a couple of halls that have actually been locked down. There are 33k students at Man Met.. before you factor in the other universities. 

This talk of locking you up for Xmas is just bullshit, it won't happen unless they place the army with live rounds outside every student halls, every student house in the country because they will go home and their parents will want them home. 

What if next year isnt better? If you need to go to university or have you heart set on a career that needs it you have some huge choices to make and I don't envy you them but you can't put your life on hold and potentially change the course of your entire life because of this - personally I'd have taken 14 days shacked up at university over 14 days at home with my family at 18 but that's just me. 

14 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

You're allowed to defer your place if you've not enrolled yet. I left my first uni 5 days into Freshers, one day before properly enrolling and was encouraged to defer before making my final decision. 

30 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

University update:

Wow that's awful!

Our teaching begins next week and we still have no idea which modules we've been assigned/whether it's online/in person! Apparently the uni were keen to have the freshers on site and the rest online, really hoping that's not the case as teachers would have to commute to and from uni just for a 1 hour class, unless we can get access to our office