When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

Agreed. This is what I’m trying to get across as well. The comments are very insensitive to everyone suffering from this disease right now.

Banning households mixing is a small price to pay to save the lives of those who might suffer with this virus in the future, perhaps they won’t catch it if we stop transmission chains now. 

I have vulnerable relatives, I don’t want to see them suffer. I’d rather take the action now so they, along with a lot of other vulnerable people aren’t affected. And as I said, it’s not just old and vulnerable people affected by this virus too. I’m not a fan of the insensitivity.

Yeah I agree. I have two very vulnerable people in my life, one 75 and one 39, and I'm scared to death of them catching it. Neither "have only a few months left to live". And that's just me, there are loads more people worried about loved ones. I should add too that my worries are not just about them catching it, but about hospitals being overwhelmed so they can't have the treatment they need, which most people saying "Just lock up the vulnerable and crack on" don't seem to get. One of them needs to go to hospital regularly for her treatment, which will be hugely risky for example.

I get it, these are not people you know, and it's all abstract until it happens to you personally. But honestly rating people's relative quality of life and right to existence based on their age and health conditions is really rank and I see it more and more in here these days. It's pretty depressing to see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I agree. I have two very vulnerable people in my life, one 75 and one 39, and I'm scared to death of them catching it. Neither "have only a few months left to live". And that's just me, there are loads more people worried about loved ones. I should add too that my worries are not just about them catching it, but about hospitals being overwhelmed so they can't have the treatment they need, which most people saying "Just lock up the vulnerable and crack on" don't seem to get. One of them needs to go to hospital regularly for her treatment, which will be hugely risky for example.

I get it, these are not people you know, and it's all abstract until it happens to you personally. But honestly rating people's relative quality of life and right to existence based on their age and health conditions is really rank and I see it more and more in here these days. It's pretty depressing to see.

I am sorry for my comments, they were made through a lens of looking out for my own mental health and I apologise for disregarding the vulnerable people in your life

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I am sorry for my comments, they were made through a lens of looking out for my own mental health and I apologise for disregarding the vulnerable people in your life

It's not just my life, it's wider than that. I get that you are struggling. Everyone is in different ways. But sometimes it just comes across like you are saying who cares, there people are basically dead anyway, so maybe just think about that. Apology accepted though.

It's not just my life, it's wider than that. I get that you are struggling. Everyone is in different ways. But sometimes it just comes across like you are saying who cares, there people are basically dead anyway, so maybe just think about that. Apology accepted though.

Thanks for accepting my apology, I promise to work on being more sensitive in the future. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Sorry for being insensitive :( I’m just really struggling and wish it didn’t have to be this way. @FestivalJamieraises good points about the long covid 

I know, I completely understand you, I think we are all struggling a lot too.

Theres no perfect answer to any of this. And it’s getting more challenging daily now than when we just had to stay at home in March/April and everything felt a lot less complicated, but at the same time the news was horrifying every day.

I don’t want to be back to that position, we don’t have to be, and I don’t think the government will ever advocate a total lockdown again. But the public really need to start to pull together on this otherwise we are in for a really horrible winter. 

Banning households mixing is not something I want either, I’m going to uni and I don’t want to be barred from coming back to see my family. It’s a horrible situation to be in for me too.

But the public need to really start pulling their socks up to get on top of this or we are all screwed. That starts with people actually wearing their masks when walking around in restaurants (which I haven’t seen happen even though is the law now) and people not breaking the rule of 6. If people keep pushing the boundaries, the boundaries will keep becoming more and more restricted, and the government won’t have a choice but to do that.

(To add, I don’t like the government’s approach in any of this. Their messaging has been messy and inconsistent. But right now, we actually have a cohesive set of rules to follow. The public’s ignorance against them is setting us all back a lot further and means the gov will have no choice but to be harsher. There’s also lots of reasons I want to get the country on top of this now. I want to be able to come back and see my family from uni for my birthday and for Christmas; I have the prospect of a trip to Germany booked this winter. If the public don’t get on top of this now, all of our winters are going to look much more bleak. Everyone has to play their part and that’s why people not sticking to the simple rules laid out are doing a lot more damage each time they break the rules than what it might seem everytime we let it slide).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, everest said:

People are scared and in panic because of big numbers what they see on tv, newspapers etc...

If he have 1000 positive people, maybe 50 of them are really sick.

You can infect someone in first 5 to 7 days, but virus will stay in you for a 60+ days. And that's the reason why we have so many covid positive people. At least 80% of them aren't sick and cant infect others.

PCR tests are too sensitive. 

Amen!

Speaking as a medical professional your comments are not supported by the science. 

Also I feel like everyone should keep in mind that a vaccine is likely to come within the next few months. This really is not going to be forever, however shit it is.

I really hope this is the case and the mood music is good. Saw the possibility raised this morning that we could get a nasal spray vaccine rather than an injection meaning it could be self administered and thus rolled out very quickly. @Toilet Duck is this possible? 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Also I feel like everyone should keep in mind that a vaccine is likely to come within the next few months. This really is not going to be forever, however shit it is.

This ^^

But also please realise that it's still a long game, as it might be into 2022 before everyone is vaccinated - although things are likely to return to normal before then. 

What I mean is: pace yourself.

I really hope this is the case and the mood music is good. Saw the possibility raised this morning that we could get a nasal spray vaccine rather than an injection meaning it could be self administered and thus rolled out very quickly. @Toilet Duck is this possible? 

I think the timescales that are talked about are more about getting enough of (whatever) vaccine rather than how fast the vaccinations can be done.

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You'd be happy with that because that's your ideal scenario. You've said before that as long as you can see you partner you don't care about the rest. But people who work in pubs and restaurants and will be out of work probably would rather keep them open. Everyone has their own things to lose and everyone is suffering because of this. No one is a winner. 

I work in hospitality and one of the things I've found annoying is the way some people have dismissed this along with comments like "we should keep workplaces open but close hospitality" like hospitality jobs aren't work.

I happen to think they should be closed, it'll hit me if they are but I'm in a position where i'll largely be ok. Not great, but ok. A majority of my colleagues, less so. And the company I work for are probably big enough to ride this out. A lot aren't)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

This ^^

But also please realise that it's still a long game, as it might be into 2022 before everyone is vaccinated - although things are likely to return to normal before then. 

What I mean is: pace yourself.

I am hoping the “six months” thing basically means they expect the vaccine approval around Christmas and then a three month long rollout to the vulnerable, health care workers and other particular individuals. That way, we could probably relax a lot of restrictions in the spring (keep strict hand washing, keep 1m distancing guidance and maybe still limit gatherings at 20-30), but generally take a more relaxed approach to the virus transmission given that the vulnerable and some others are protected, whilst the rest of society is vaccinated over summer/autumn 2021 and maybe into 2022.

That’s my optimistic hope anyway. 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

I work in hospitality and one of the things I've found annoying is the way some people have dismissed this along with comments like "we should keep workplaces open but close hospitality" like hospitality jobs aren't work.

I happen to think they should be closed, it'll hit me if they are but I'm in a position where i'll largely be ok. Not great, but ok. A majority of my colleagues, less so. And the company I work for are probably big enough to ride this out. A lot aren't)

Yeah I agree. It is weird that workplaces has come to just mean offices and factories, when of course it is far far wider than that.

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I should point out that when people say they should be closed, I’d imagine the vast majority of people mean, close them but with financial support to the workers. I can’t imagine many people advocate just closing hospitality and kicking all of the staff out on the streets. I’d hope not anyway. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Things not looking good for the govt on the vote next week

This is very good for a few reasons. More Parliamentary oversight is never a bad thing and will mean decisions are taken fairly. But also as it seems more and more Tories can’t stand Johnson.

Also I like how this was posted then minutes later someone is asking what Labour will do with the amendment when it says right at the top of this tweet 😂

I should point out that when people say they should be closed, I’d imagine the vast majority of people mean, close them but with financial support to the workers. I can’t imagine many people advocate just closing hospitality and kicking all of the staff out on the streets. I’d hope not anyway. 

You'd hope so. Whether that help would be there is another matter. But that wasn't entirely what I was getting at. It's also this idea (snobbery?) that hospitality jobs aren't 'real' worthwhile jobs

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I am hoping the “six months” thing basically means they expect the vaccine approval around Christmas and then a three month long rollout to the vulnerable, health care workers and other particular individuals. That way, we could probably relax a lot of restrictions in the spring (keep strict hand washing, keep 1m distancing guidance and maybe still limit gatherings at 20-30), but generally take a more relaxed approach to the virus transmission given that the vulnerable and some others are protected, whilst the rest of society is vaccinated over summer/autumn 2021 and maybe into 2022.

That’s my optimistic hope anyway. 

I'm fairly hopeful of no meaningful restrictions from the spring, for outside at least.

Alongside the vaccine roll-out will be a significant amount of anti-bodies within the population, so the combination of different factors will hopefully mean any further outbreaks are low-level and mostly containable.

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

No but with no extension of the furlough scheme that is basically what will happen isn't it?

Im guessing that given we’re all posting on a festivals forum that we’re all fans of live music? Some gigs I’ve been to go down as some of the highlights of my life, those incredible moments where everything just clicks. Now just think how incredible those first gigs/festivals we go to are going to be. The atmosphere in the crowd, the band putting in that bit of extra effort having not performed for so long and the overall collective relief that the worst is behind us. Its gonna be special and likely to create some new life highlights. That’s all still to come in the future, I personally am really excited about it, we just gotta get through this relatively (in terms of our whole life) short patch of shitness to get there. Trust me it will be incredible. Keep going guys, we can do this. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 12

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

Im guessing that given we’re all posting on a festivals forum that we’re all fans of live music? Some gigs I’ve been to go down as some of the highlights of my life, those incredible moments where everything just clicks. Now just think how incredible those first gigs/festivals we go to are going to be. The atmosphere in the crowd, the band putting in that bit of extra effort having not performed for so long and the overall collective relief that the worst is behind us. Its gonna be special and likely to create some new life highlights. That’s all still to come in the future, I personally am really excited about it, we just gotta get through this relatively (in terms of our whole life) short patch of shitness to get there. Trust me it will be incredible. Keep going guys, we can do this. 

Great post. Out of upvotes! 

Even if I don't get a Glastonbury ticket I think I'll be delighted to see it back. And I'll be buying tickets for at least two other festivals next summer all being well. I'm trying to keep that in mind.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

No but with no extension of the furlough scheme that is basically what will happen isn't it?

I have a permanent contract, work in one of the most profitable sites in the country (under normal circumstances) and have worked here for years so it'll cost them more to make me redundant than it would to ride the winter out (whether closed, or open under major restrictions) and hope for better in the spring. Obviously still doesn't make me I'm completely safe, but I'm in a better position than a lot of people

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

I have a permanent contract, work in one of the most profitable sites in the country (under normal circumstances) and have worked here for years so it'll cost them more to make me redundant than it would to ride the winter out (whether closed, or open under major restrictions) and hope for better in the spring. Obviously still doesn't make me I'm completely safe, but I'm in a better position than a lot of people

That's good to hear. Genuinely feel so lucky to have been able to work throughout this and to so far still have work. I'm freelance so it will be a bumpy landing if that gets pulled, but I've been fortunate enough to have saved some cash during the last six months.

Graham Brady in Telegraph.

"We risk forsaking liberties so many died to preserve"

"Suddenly we were "flattening the curve" instead. Now we have moved from "flattening the second hump of the camel" to "suppressing the virus until we have a vaccine" within a week. All of this has been decided behind closed doors without parliamentary debate or approval."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/09/26/risk-forsaking-liberties-many-died-preserve/