When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh right. I assumed they were run by Public Health England too.

Unfortunately not, it’s outsourced. Hence Starmer never calling it NHS track and trace. Whereas Boris throws in NHS Track and Trave at every opportunity he can. 

20 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Unfortunately not, it’s outsourced. Hence Starmer never calling it NHS track and trace. Whereas Boris throws in NHS Track and Trave at every opportunity he can. 

Ah yes. I did hear that. Is that not the majority of tests though? So app basically pointless?

Edit:sorry, my bad, it's not the majority of tests. Still ridiculous though.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

12 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

That’s why I’ve decided not to go for move in day... I just want to see what happens with everyone moving in and then turn up a bit later. I hope I settle in ok though. 

I hope I don’t get put into isolation too, I’m gonna be super careful around campus.

Sounds like you've come up with a plan that feels right for you!

I like how you've fathomed out what's the best thing to do yourself- I know people are trying to be helpful by saying 'go for it' or 'you'll be fine', but I always think it's consequence-free for someone else to tell you what to do, and when you're anxious and not sure, it's not helpful because it's not that simple! 

I hope you settle in okay too, and your caution is rewarded - take care! 

22 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Track and Trave, is that the new Government scheme to get night clubs back open and also test for covid too!? 😜

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Poor Boris:-(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8774005/amp/Wholl-bail-Boris-Johnson-taken-vast-pay-cut-PM.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top&__twitter_impression=true

Who'll bail out Boris? Johnson has taken a vast pay cut to be PM, his ex-wife Marina Wheeler is 'cleaning him out' in expensive divorce, he's unable to afford a nanny - and is forced to pay for every No10 meal himself 

No idea...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia

I mean it’s concerning from this point onwards. Until the politicians understand that health and economy are linked, neither are going to thrive.

A lot of the Tory MPs want to sacrifice public health to boost the economy, but it won’t boost the economy. Cases will surge by relaxing measures, hospital admissions will rise, everything will turn back to covid care meaning cancer patients and the like are refused treatments meaning they will die prematurely. The health of the country will diminish meaning that even if things stay open people will be too scared to go out, and as hospital admissions continue to surge there will eventually be a tipping point where only a strict lockdown and everything to shut is the way out.

Take action now, we can avoid that strict lockdown and save both health and the economy. If we keep up with the strategy at the moment, both are going to suffer yet again. This 10pm curfew damages the economy but does it reduce viral transmission? I’m sceptical. We need to get the cases down before thinking about the economic impact as the more and more cases keep rising, the more the economy will continue to suffer, and eventually might go back into total shutdown if we aren’t careful.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Poor Boris:-(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8774005/amp/Wholl-bail-Boris-Johnson-taken-vast-pay-cut-PM.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top&__twitter_impression=true

Who'll bail out Boris? Johnson has taken a vast pay cut to be PM, his ex-wife Marina Wheeler is 'cleaning him out' in expensive divorce, he's unable to afford a nanny - and is forced to pay for every No10 meal himself 

No idea...

https://www.desmog.co.uk/2020/02/13/mapped-boris-johnson-s-government-and-tufton-street-lobbying-network

4 minutes ago, everest said:

If whole world turn off television, ignore news and other shit, then the whole world will be healed in 14 days :) words from Slovenian scientists.

And that is true!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8774141/Coronavirus-UK-Lockdown-kill-75-000-thats-OFFICIAL-projection.html?fbclid=IwAR2jouFOhGgIL-bUUtGPA-5HZiLSyGfYNikeiJh-szYmswaJH-Zm9Rq0dqQ

Not a fan of that daily fail article. Lockdown could kill 75,000 over 5 years.

Well covid can wipe out 75,000 in a month with exponentially rising cases and hospital admissions, if no interventions are made. I don’t want to go back to a point where we are having to have bodies put into mass grave sites, it’s just grim.

Theres no perfect solution in all of this. It’s extremely challenging times. But we must all keep working together to fight this disease until there’s a scientific breakthrough. If we just give up now, the consequences on public health and therefore the economy will be even more damaging.

Just because we turn off the news, doesn’t mean the virus is gone and the world is back to normal, unfortunately, but I wish it did mean that. 

39 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That Brady amendment is the best thing the Tory backbenchers have ever done 

Not really, if it passes it will likely act as a deterrent for Johnson introducing stricter measures, which are actually needed. 

There are a lot of tories (and blowhards in the media who have been out in force the last few weeks) who look at the US and its world leading 200,000 death toll and think "yes that's the way we should be handling this!" 

1 minute ago, zeppelin said:

This whole thing is shit, isn't it? 

It’s not great. You just have to prepare yourself mentally for it. I’ve just made a fairly large purchase so my beer money for this month has already been spent so I won’t have the temptation to go out and break lockdown. I’ve got a few games I’ve been meaning to finish so will have plenty to keep me occupied. 

Hopefully enough people do similar things and minimise contact with others so the cases drop to a level so we can be social again. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Not really, if it passes it will likely act as a deterrent for Johnson introducing stricter measures, which are actually needed. 

There are a lot of tories (and blowhards in the media who have been out in force the last few weeks) who look at the US and its world leading 200,000 death toll and think "yes that's the way we should be handling this!" 

I don’t want stricter measures, they’re dehumanising. 

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sage bloke Graham Medley was on R4 this morning, saying he was worried about lag between infection rate and death rate, says he thinks we'll be at 100 deaths per day in 3 or 4 weeks, and that he never heard sage committee discuss closing pubs at 10pm.

I’m sure Graham Medley is one of those Dr Doomsday-in-chief types, like John Edmunds and Devi Sridhar.