When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, oneeye said:

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/search/?logicalNames=knowledgearticle&q=BATTERY+USAGE

Will the app drain the battery and data allowance?

The developers suggest the app should account for less than 5% of a device's battery use.
But if the phone is set to use a low-power mode, owners should go into their settings to exclude the app so it can continue contact tracing at all times.
And while the app is continually checking for updated data, the major networks have said they will not deduct usage from people's allowances.

I know it's not exactly the same but I've had the NHS Scotland version on my phone since launch 2 weeks ago and haven't really noticed any significant battery drain. I have Bluetooth switched on normally anyway so if you don't it might make more impact.

33 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Quick question about this app: do I need to have it active and scanning all the time or can I just do that when I leave the house? Thinking it will rinse battery needlessly.

28 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Sane question from me although one thing you need to do is to set the app so it is 'excepted' from being forced to stop when you have low battery.  On Android you do this through the App settings itself.

I read the FAQ in the app and it states the app will still run when you lock your phone but doesn’t say anything about closing it and letting it run in the background, I’m presuming from this it will run in the background but it always has to be open somewhere on your phone?

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm on Android. Same sort of deal?

Yes I think that’s right, then when you open the app it analyses the data, so really for it to be effective you need to have it open or at least open it periodically otherwise it kind of defeats the point.

This is purely a guess given that the exposure checks in my log only started at 7:38 this morning when I installed the app? 

let’s see what happens haha

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I know it's not exactly the same but I've had the NHS Scotland version on my phone since launch 2 weeks ago and haven't really noticed any significant battery drain. I have Bluetooth switched on normally anyway so if you don't it might make more impact.

Cheers! I usually have Bluetooth switched off so I guess it will make a difference, but it's not like I'm ever that far from a plug socket these days.

4 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

I read the FAQ in the app and it states the app will still run when you lock your phone but doesn’t say anything about closing it and letting it run in the background, I’m presuming from this it will run in the background but it always has to be open somewhere on your phone?

Yeah I think that’s the case, to be fair you don’t actually need to close apps down anyway. The way modern apps are built along with the OS is that they will automatically go into some type of energy saving mode. The energy your phone uses opening an app from scratch is more than if you leave it running in the background (if the app has been designed well that is).

• Upvote 1

Right I've got the app (they really should re-upload it, the 1.6 star rating will put people off) it's whirring away, what happens if I get a notification? If I'm on a train does the whole train then have to self isolate? Without the test element the track bit seems a bit over the top...

Also what if I think I've already had it? Would washing my hands after getting a notification do the job?

These aren't snide digs at the system or app, they're genuine questions

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Right I've got the app (they really should re-upload it, the 1.6 star rating will put people off) it's whirring away, what happens if I get a notification? If I'm on a train does the whole train then have to self isolate? Without the test element the track bit seems a bit over the top...

Also what if I think I've already had it? Would washing my hands after getting a notification do the job?

These aren't snide digs at the system or app, they're genuine questions

Pretty sure if you've already had it you are still required to self isolate.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Pretty sure if you've already had it you are still required to self isolate.

If I'm walking down the street and walk past someone with it my phone tells me (and I guess my flat mate who I've known for a total of 7 weeks) to stay home for 2 weeks? Do I have to go home immediately? I cannae afford those fines.

Apologies for asking so many questions I should probably just hunt the answers down myself at this point

Edited by priest17

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

So if I'm walking down the street and walk past someone with it my phone tells me (and I guess my flat mate who I've known for a total of 7 weeks) to stay home for 2 weeks? Do I have to go home immediately? I cannae afford those fines.

Apologies for asking so many questions I should probably just hunt the answers down myself at this point

It has to be closer contact than walking past someone.  I don't know on the other questions.

You know what, credit where it's due. After the little bit I've read (and understood) and briefly using it, the app seems OK. Which I suppose it should be when it's been delivered so late. I wasn't sure about including so many features, I thought it'd be better to just keep it simple and do the one thing it's supposed too, but they are fine and simple to use. Like a lot of people when it comes to technology, my baseline is 'could my mum use this' and I reckon she could, easily. Now just have to hope that the most important element of it works well, but equally that I never have to find out whether it works

13 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Someone else on here who is doing it - @zeppelin maybe? - posted a link to where the vouchers can be used. Loads of places by the looks of it.

Morning, yup t'was me. I've received £150 so far 😃

@Mr.Tease - list is here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/surveys/informationforhouseholdsandindividuals/householdandindividualsurveys/covid19infectionsurveycis#will-i-be-paid-for-taking-part

I've been really boring so far and used mine on Asda. But essentially as a quick way to turn it into cash I can use on whatever since I need food anyway!

I think the app looks great - simple to use and reading how it works (in theory) it seems as good as we can hope for really. 
Obviously, like anything, people will complain and won’t sign up to use it for whatever reason, which will impact its effectiveness. 
Would be great to see how it all works when somebody actually gets a notification. 

6 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Morning, yup t'was me. I've received £150 so far 😃

@Mr.Tease - list is here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/surveys/informationforhouseholdsandindividuals/householdandindividualsurveys/covid19infectionsurveycis#will-i-be-paid-for-taking-part

I've been really boring so far and used mine on Asda. But essentially as a quick way to turn it into cash I can use on whatever since I need food anyway!

That's just enough to get the new Prince Sign o the times Super Deluxe 9 CD release! 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Quick question about this app: do I need to have it active and scanning all the time or can I just do that when I leave the house? Thinking it will rinse battery needlessly.

With iOS it tells you which apps use the most battery life. I’ll have an answer for this at the end of the day

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Wtf... they can’t force me to stay, can they?

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the UK government does not "rule out" telling university students not to go home at Christmas to avoid spreading infection if the coronavirus crisis worsens.

:lol:

Government power trip knows no bounds.

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

:lol:

Government power trip knows no bounds.

I’m just getting fed up to be honest, I’m absolutely petrified to go to university after hearing constant stories about hundreds of students having freshers parties and absolutely no one is sticking to the rules. Like I already know it’s going to be so horrible for me and the universities aren’t doing anything to stop the parties and enforce the rules... and the amount of students put into isolation already is horrible.

And then I’m told I might not be able to leave at all at christmas? It’s horrible.

Dropping out becomes more and more tempting before it’s too late. But the job market is so bad so I’m not sure I would be able to find a job and I can’t sit around unemployed for a whole year again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1