When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Gilb said:

The virus isn't going to go away regardless of whether a vaccine appears anytime soon. The whole lockdown scenario should be (and is) geared towards preventing the infection rate from turning into something that overwhelms the NHS and treatment of patients, whilst the rest of the economy has some sort of chance to recover. 

Its very difficult to manage. You only have to read this thread once in a while to see the different scenarios people find themselves in. 

I can't imagine the country/economy can withstand much more past another 6 months. The levels of debt/unemployment caused by the last 6 months haven't even yet come to the surface so any extended duration will prove disastrous for many. 

Worst case scenario? No vaccine works... I guess we would then have years of mask-wearing and hand-washing with people being asked to go back to work whilst the 'most vulnerable' groups are told to stay home?

The other option is a decent testing regime of course. So, yeah...

Finally got round to registering for that ONS study where you get vouchers for doing swabs. We're away for a few days in October so won't be able to start until after that. We will be doing the blood tests as well apparently due to the group we fall into. From what I can tell it doesn't seem that easy to get your results, but would love to know if I have antibodies (I know it doesn't mean much, just want to know!).

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

News from the frontline.

Mrs L reports her unit is once again full of Covid cases. In her opinion this time the patient demographic has chanced. It's broader with noticeably higher numbers of younger patients. 

I’m taking solace from reports back in April that you had to be at deaths door before being admitted so as not to further overwhelm the hospitals. Hopefully the criteria for admission is now lower so more can be treated earlier with a better outcome 

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Finally got round to registering for that ONS study where you get vouchers for doing swabs. We're away for a few days in October so won't be able to start until after that. We will be doing the blood tests as well apparently due to the group we fall into. From what I can tell it doesn't seem that easy to get your results, but would love to know if I have antibodies (I know it doesn't mean much, just want to know!).

It’ll be interesting to know what the experience is like for you. 

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

A friend of mine just messaged me to say she'd gone in to give some blood for this study yesterday and she fainted. She's still in the study, but going to be sticking to swabs and not bloods going forward.

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oooh, how much are the vouchers worth? 👀

2 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

I find it quite distressing that they are calling it "NHS Test and Trace" at every opportunity as if to shift the blame of it's failure towards the people most clapped for on a Thursday night when really the people behind Test and Trace are the government and the blame should lie with them.

Shift and Denial. 

Yes, I’ve been banging on about this since it launched. Adding NHS to the title is so out of order for a privatised for profit venture. Also I’ve got no time for Dido Harding - real name Diana - she’s not the queen of Carthage or a 90’s singer songwriter 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Uk hosting challenge trials for the Covid vaccines where volunteers are deliberately injected with Covid-19 

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN26E2DR?__twitter_impression=true

A few questions. 
Are they only testing healthy people?
Do we get paid?

And where would we sign up?

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

12 posts in 10 years is some dedicated lurking. I have to admire your commitment. 

We do waffle a lot on here, can't deny that but the forum is active and especially while there's no Glastonbury news it's good to keep the site traffic high. Spreading the waffle might be the best solution for all. 

Been a member even longer than that but can’t remember what email I used for my original account to recover it!

Obviously with festivals being cancelled this year and in doubt for 2021 I understand relevant festival chat is limited but when threads starts looking like a giant group chat between a dozen or so members it’s not good for a forum and rightly or wrongly tends to give the impression of being a bit cliquey. Threads going totally off topic also means wading through lots guff to find the few relevant posts.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To clarify, it's open to everyone in the sense that everyone is welcome to come to the virtual meet - but probably isn't much use to anyone else.

Sorry if the amount of posts from the regulars is offputting.  Not our intention - well, at least not mine.

No certainly not aimed at you, as with any forum some members posts are more interesting, relevant, entertaining or amusing than others...

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Rishi Sunak is giving an update in the Commons tomorrow at 1230.

I wonder if that was always planned or suddenly announced after pressure from PMQs and yesterday, with every other question being about furlough

Edited by ace56blaa

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

I wonder if that was always planned or suddenly announced after pressure from PMQs and yesterday, with every other question being about furlough

I think it’s probably been moved forward after cases started rising and they realised they’d need to put restrictions in place.