When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Love lurking here throughout the work day. I get a similar feeling to that of listening to a podcast. Maybe one day I'll actually have something to contribute!

Take a look through the posts, not having something to contribute has never stopped the rest of us :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry if the amount of posts from the regulars is offputting.  Not our intention - well, at least not mine.

It isn't the amount of posts from regulars that is an issue imo it is the amount of random articles posted with no context. Like public attitudes to Brexit negotiations a couple pages back. Literally no relevance at all to the Covid discussion. If it was kept as related to Covid as possible and if there's something different at least a bit of context to stimulate an actual discussion would be beneficial I think. 

10 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It isn't the amount of posts from regulars that is an issue imo it is the amount of random articles posted with no context. Like public attitudes to Brexit negotiations a couple pages back. Literally no relevance at all to the Covid discussion. If it was kept as related to Covid as possible and if there's something different at least a bit of context to stimulate an actual discussion would be beneficial I think. 

I can see your point

from Grocer 33 the retail industry magazine 

Retail workers will be forced to wear face coverings under new restrictions announced by the prime minister today.

Boris Johnson said masks would become obligatory for shop assistants and workers in pubs, restaurants and cafés in England, with governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland expected to take similar steps.

Staff who fail to wear masks could face fines of up to £200 under the new government clampdown, which is understood to be coming in on Thursday, though industry sources said they were still pushing for greater clarity over the timetable and penalties for non-compliance.

Some reports suggest the move will come in from Monday.

@crazyfool1the gov website claims it comes into effect tomorrow not Monday, what’s the point of delaying til Monday?

• Customers in hospitality venues must wear face coverings, except when seated at a table to eat or drink. Staff in hospitality and retail will now also be required to wear face coverings (from 24 September).”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-what-has-changed-22-september

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

@crazyfool1the gov website claims it comes into effect tomorrow not Monday, what’s the point of delaying til Monday?

• Customers in hospitality venues must wear face coverings, except when seated at a table to eat or drink. Staff in hospitality and retail will now also be required to wear face coverings (from 24 September).”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-what-has-changed-22-september

ah ok .. will just have to see whats happened when I return on fri .... 

33 minutes ago, pryce said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/oracle/2020/09/22/scientists-find-an-avenue-to-attack-the-coronavirus-aided-by-cloud-imaging/#34a20a38f16f

@Toilet Duck  good news? 

also any thoughts on the Eli Lily finding 

https://investor.lilly.com/news-releases/news-release-details/lilly-announces-proof-concept-data-neutralizing-antibody-ly

also people should ignore well not panic as much on case numbers in the next couple of weeks, will take time for these measures to work (if they do) 

Howdy, yes, read about the Bristol study the other day...was planning on posing something, but it's the start of the academic year and things are a bit mental (they are most years, this year is off the charts!). Very interesting study and certainly identifies a potential new target for treatment. Miles away from actually being able to do anything about it, but another important step none-the-less (not a game changer in the short term though, though who knows, given the fact that this mechanism seems to be fairly widespread among respiratory viruses and not just CoVs, it may lead to better treatments for all of them!). 

The Lilly antibodies I also read about a few weeks ago and again, looks very promising. There's a whole bunch of similar antibody-based drugs in development now that we know what the most useful neutralising antibodies for this virus are (and indeed, we are able to use information about SAR-CoV-2 antibodies for the rapid tests as well). Given that the anecdotal evidence is that convalescent plasma seems to work, it's not that surprising that recombinant (engineered) antibodies are having similar impact (they really should have organised convalescent plasma therapy like the RECOVERY trial in the UK, loads of patients in the US have received CPT but not as part of any formal trial to prove it worked, which was down to poor planning...it's being rectified now, but should have been done at the start). The Lilly antibodies resulted in about a 3-4 fold reduction in the number of hospitalisations in those that received it versus placebo. It wasn't a miracle cure, but if those levels are maintained through subsequent trial phases, then it's promising. It should be noted though that these will be massively expensive drugs, that are complicated to make, so I wouldn't expect them become first line treatment at all (or possibly only in specific patients). The other thing is that they are being tested vs placebo (which is what you do in phase 1/2 when you don't have a standard of care to compare against). This is a simple go/no-go decision as if the drug is no better than placebo, then it doesn't work and you move on to another drug. What would be reality interesting now is to see how they fare compared to dexamethasone or other steroids (which are off patent and cheap as chips). If they are no better than these drugs at reducing hospitalisations or indeed reducing hospital stays and mortality in those admitted, then their utility diminishes even further. But when the trials for these antibodies started, the data from RECOVERY on steroids hadn't been published yet, so I'd expect future trials to look at these comparisons.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Is it that much effort to scroll past them though, so they can be there for people interested?

Also given the impact we know Brexit will have on the economy - and this was being acknowledged as such by Johnson et al back last year, and given what COVID is doing to the economy, and given that rational people on here are suggesting maybe we let some people die to save the economy because it's just that important, Brexit is very entwined with this mess.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Is it that much effort to scroll past them though, so they can be there for people interested?

Also given the impact we know Brexit will have on the economy - and this was being acknowledged as such by Johnson et al back last year, and given what COVID is doing to the economy, and given that rational people on here are suggesting maybe we let some people die to save the economy because it's just that important, Brexit is very entwined with this mess.

Good point. In a way it’s all linked given how closely everything ties into the economy.