When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Folks talking like offices have been told to close when that's simply not true.

Staff have been asked to work from home if possible to do so which isn't possible for some.

While that's true, that was always the case during the initial lockdown. The rules were only ever "work from home where possible" - no offices were ever forcibly closed even in March/April. So the guidelines on office working are now the same as they were back then, and as strong as they've ever been.

2 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I think he knows it's not going to be enforceable to cancel Christmas. Its just not going to happen. Scary really.

There's a middle ground between "full lockdown at Christmas" and "do whatever you want" though. Christmas needs handling as its own thing, they need to start modelling the movements of people over the Christmas period and figure out what the most risky elements are, and put in things to prevent that. If the rules are reasonable, and people can still see some family, they might accept not being able to have 20 person parties.

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

This sounds like good news. I guess China is trying to reverse becoming a pariah state, maybe they know this is the future so want to show world leadership whilst US goes backwards, know that climate change could lead to more unrest in their own country, and don't have the short termism of democracy to worry about.

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Keep persisting ...  maybe in early hours slots do free up !!  

Tried all night and all morning. Impossible. We got through once for a home test, but then the Transunion bit of the system said “it did not recognise the person” and you get sent back to the start.

I’d obviously read how appalling the system is but it’s even more maddening than I could have believed. Shambles. 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I’m not aiming this at you mate but how did people not see this coming!? It was obvious when the weather turned and people started doing more cases would rise, now they have and we still don’t act quickly enough. There’s a huge chasm of leadership for this country at the moment which won’t be filled by the PM giving a prerecorded 10 minute address before Bake Off. 

Below taken from Gov.uk website, I've highlighted the important bits. Definitely not a call from the government for offices to effectively close...

Working from home

To help contain the virus, office workers who can work effectively from home should do so over the winter. Where an employer, in consultation with their employee, judges an employee can carry out their normal duties from home they should do so. Public sector employees working in essential services, including education settings, should continue to go into work where necessary. Anyone else who cannot work from home should go to their place of work. The risk of transmission can be substantially reduced if COVID-19 secure guidelines are followed closely. Extra consideration should be given to those people at higher risk

• Like 1

Feeling very concerned that these new rules aren’t going to get us anywhere. The rules surrounding face coverings, contact tracing and table service should have been the case since 4th July anyway, and given we now have exponential rise it’s unlikely to stop that on its own.

Rule of 6 and more working from home could potentially reduce transmission but depends on whether people follow this guidance or not.

I can potentially see a full lockdown in 2-4 weeks. Is this just me being pessimistic or?

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Below taken from Gov.uk website, I've highlighted the important bits. Definitely not a call from the government for offices to effectively close...

Today it is pissing it down in Yorkshire. I would definitely prefer to be working from home today. I shall be having a word with my boss when I get to the office. 

7 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I'd love to be working from home too.

We've had to come into the office all the way through even tho i could do my job at home just the same as i do here.

That's rubbish! Have management given any justification for it?

Working from home has been the one upside of covid for me. As my position in my role is still unstable (due to ongoing uncertainty on multiple fronts) I'm trying to make myself as useful as possible, so signed up to be on a rota of staff having a "presence" in a building on campus, one day a week. Haven't heard anything abut it since putting my name forward but imagine that with all these changes that idea has probably been put back in a box.

4 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

That's rubbish! Have management given any justification for it?

Working from home has been the one upside of covid for me. As my position in my role is still unstable (due to ongoing uncertainty on multiple fronts) I'm trying to make myself as useful as possible, so signed up to be on a rota of staff having a "presence" in a building on campus, one day a week. Haven't heard anything abut it since putting my name forward but imagine that with all these changes that idea has probably been put back in a box.

Tell me about it!! A lot of our staff went home in march and we were told we still have to come in. We're classed as key workers but its just an office, no customers come in here and theres no reason we cant do the job from home. Seems ridiculous to me!! 

Oh fingers crossed your volunteering for that will help with the stability of your job! It shows willing and if you're keen thats got to go in your favour!! X

19 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I'd love to be working from home too.

We've had to come into the office all the way through even tho i could do my job at home just the same as i do here.

Can you please keep your weather on the soggy side. We are not happy on this side of the Pennines.