When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 hours ago, st dan said:

Aren’t these new 10pm curfews and table service only measures going to have a big impact on the pubs in particular?

Not only do they miss out on two hours of service (e.g. 9.30pm last orders rather than 11.30pm) but they also have to have more staff on duty to ensure table service can run smoothly? Also the fact that it will put many people off going to a pub all together. And now they won’t have the opportunity to use to furlough scheme, so they may be forced into redundancies or run a risk of the pub going bust altogether.  

All for measures that have no scientific evidence will actually work ... I mean have they actually thought any of this through?! 

This does seem silly. Closing restaurants earlier means they're going to be busier in the hours they are open, which makes things worse, surely?

What they're clearly trying to do is change behaviour without actually properly clamping down on the problems.

Better would be to let them open when they wanted, but with compulsory ID checks and track and trace on entry, coupled with maximum 2-3 hour eating/drinking slots, and it being against the rules to go to two venues on the same evening - which can be enforced by ID-based track and trace.

On top of that, pubs and restaurants need to ensure that people from different house holds are actually sat distanced from each other, and if they can't, they shouldn't be taking bookings like that. Again, once you throw in ID, you can start tracking that.

(And yes, those measures sound entirely draconian but they're a temporary answer to the problem that isn't just "close pubs and restaurants")

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Pubs going to close at 10pm new years eve?

I think pubs won't be allowed to open on NYE at all.

Decided I'm going to really cut back on my non household social interaction because while it's technically allowed for now anyway, I want to do my bit to avoid a devastating second lockdown. So from today, I'm only leaving home for shopping, the gym/outdoor exercise/outdoor chilling in parks etc, or to visit my partner. The latter I'm holding as my one indulgence that's "unnecessary" but allowed and important for mental health. I'm also going to avoid public transport. If things continue to go from bad to worse I'll temporarily move back to Colchester where my girlfriend lives next week.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

This does seem silly. Closing restaurants earlier means they're going to be busier in the hours they are open, which makes things worse, surely?

What they're clearly trying to do is change behaviour without actually properly clamping down on the problems.

Better would be to let them open when they wanted, but with compulsory ID checks and track and trace on entry, coupled with maximum 2-3 hour eating/drinking slots, and it being against the rules to go to two venues on the same evening - which can be enforced by ID-based track and trace.

On top of that, pubs and restaurants need to ensure that people from different house holds are actually sat distanced from each other, and if they can't, they shouldn't be taking bookings like that. Again, once you throw in ID, you can start tracking that.

(And yes, those measures sound entirely draconian but they're a temporary answer to the problem that isn't just "close pubs and restaurants")

I think pubs won't be allowed to open on NYE at all.

You're not wrong that they're "draconian", but the alternative is more draconian and worse.

I've felt ever since hospitality opened that test & trace should not only be compulsory for every single adult customer (not just one per group), but you should have to prove that the details you provide are not false. Last time I went to the pub I saw a "Homer Simpson" on the test & trace sheet with a 12 digit phone number.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Actually were we not expecting face coverings in offices ? Have I missed that or did I dream it ? 

There was something about making sure workplaces are covid secure if you can’t work from home. 

My work has it sensible. I have my own office so I don’t have to wear a mask all day however if I’m going onto the shop floor or working in close proximity of someone then I do. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

There was something about making sure workplaces are covid secure if you can’t work from home. 

My work has it sensible. I have my own office so I don’t have to wear a mask all day however if I’m going onto the shop floor or working in close proximity of someone then I do. 

Yep the covid secure thing might also be usefull if I had any idea what it actually meant !!!  and that’s totally right thing to happen ... 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

If they made it mandatory for office workers to wear masks then I'm sure more would work from home...

That’s something that has to be left to a companies judgement. There’s no point for me to wear a mask when I work on my own. However those people in shared offices could probably benefit from mask use. It can’t be a government mandated decision. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

If they made it mandatory for office workers to wear masks then I'm sure more would work from home...

Agreed. If I was given the option of returning to the office a couple of times a week or continuing WFH, I'd probably go back in once or twice a week. If I had to wear a mask all day, I'd opt for WFH. That's not an anti-masker point as I completely understand their usefulness and why they are mandatory in particular settings, I'd just rather not put myself in a setting where I need to wear one for more than half an hour or so because they do get a bit uncomfortable after a while.

My company actually went through the charade of designing a “Covid-secure” office even though they decided against opening it when they were allowed to. Out of interest, their covid policy mandates face coverings when coming in and out of the building, but not when sat at your desk as the desks are 2m apart anyway.