When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

On the topic of masks was in my local co-op yesterday and staff in the aisles were finally wearing masks which was good

not sure if this is related to the questionnaire send from Co-op of what I thought of their covid measures last week - generally I think they are good but suggested aisle workers wear mask given how small the store is - this week they are in masks so maybe they have listened?

Can you write one to my store :) if we get nothing from Boris :) ... it might be company policy has changed ... I’ve seen nothing about coop one as yet 

16 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Ensuring people continue to have an income means they keep spending and putting money back into the economy when we need it.  It's a worthwhile investment in terms of economic recovery - much more so than, say, giving people £5 off a burger.

to be fair, the 'eat out' thing was less about putting money into the economy and more about trying to encourage people to stop hiding at home - and it seems to have succeeded with that.

7 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

Exactly = let's just give everyone a Universal Basic Income forever - no more furlough, no more dole - much better plan.

For UBI to work effectively, how much regulation would be required around things like rent and utilities?  My understanding is that the principle of UBI is that it largely (if not totally) covers the absolute basics, removing the need for multiple different benefits.

Given that housing benefit can be viewed as basically subsidising rent and allowing landlords or the property market to inflate accordingly, what's to stop those things continuing to happen so that UBI is no longer enough to fund those basic requirements?

Guess that's a long way of asking "what's to stop free markets fucking up UBI?"

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer gone all patriotic to bring back the nationalists.

you don't win an election by telling the people of the country that the country is shit - because most people don't think that. Most people are doing OK-ish - just look at all those people flying off on holidays - so to present an idea of the country they don't recognise isn't going to work with them.

Labour need to drop talk of "transforming the country" on the same basis. Talking about "improving the country" scares the horses far less.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

For UBI to work effectively, how much regulation would be required around things like rent and utilities?  My understanding is that the principle of UBI is that it largely (if not totally) covers the absolute basics, removing the need for multiple different benefits.

Given that housing benefit can be viewed as basically subsidising rent and allowing landlords or the property market to inflate accordingly, what's to stop those things continuing to happen so that UBI is no longer enough to fund those basic requirements?

Guess that's a long way of asking "what's to stop free markets fucking up UBI?"

UBI is a dead duck idea.

When taxpayers bulk at paying for a decent standard of basics right now, they're not going to vote themselves a massive tax rise in order to carry out a massive experiment where it's hard to see how it benefits most people.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you don't win an election by telling the people of the country that the country is shit - because most people don't think that. Most people are doing OK-ish - just look at all those people flying off on holidays - so to present an idea of the country they don't recognise isn't going to work with them.

Labour need to drop talk of "transforming the country" on the same basis. Talking about "improving the country" scares the horses far less.

all you have to do is repeatedly say you love your countrym wave the union jack, make an effort when singing the national anthem, praise our military services endlessly....

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

UBI is a dead duck idea.

When taxpayers bulk at paying for a decent standard of basics right now, they're not going to vote themselves a massive tax rise in order to carry out a massive experiment where it's hard to see how it benefits most people.

Yeah I know the reality is that it won't happen :(

Just curious on what the mechanics would need to be to make it work.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

UBI is a dead duck idea.

The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many. 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

all you have to do is repeatedly say you love your countrym wave the union jack, make an effort when singing the national anthem, praise our military services endlessly....

No, you don't, but you don't have to display hatred of those things. ;) 

Remember, Corbyn trusted Russia to test for novichik more than he trusted the country he hoped to govern. Even if Russia is more trustworthy (lol) it's still the most idiot angle to take.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Face shields ineffective at trapping aerosols, says Japanese supercomputer

I thought that was always obvious. I don't think it needed researching. :P 

What they do do is redirect where aerosol droplets go, which is useful with a face-to-face, but likely to increase risk in somewhere like a hairdresser where a person is downwards from the mask wearer.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting comment from Valance yesterday that 50,000 cases per day would lead to 200 deaths per day. They now think the IFR is 0.4% whereas in the past we were thinking it was more like 1%. I guess "Long covid" is a bigger issue than the IFR now.

If it started out with an IFR of 0.4%, i wonder if our response would have been different?