When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

oh bollocks :( 

It's not that big a rise, I was just hopeful that we'd finally started to see things turn around in Oldham after all the measures, but it just keeps on creeping up. The dip yesterday might have just been weekend reporting.

Of course, it's worth bearing in mind that when you've had a sharp rise in an infection that can last several weeks, then your number of infected in the population wouldn't immediately go down, even if you had an R number of .5. Hmm, Maybe I should be looking for the R number, if I want to see the first signs of recovery......

Well, I didn't find it, but I found this data from last week, that seems to be showing a far higher rate than the MEN.

"Between 6 - 12 September Oldham had 280 new cases identified, an increase on the previous week total of 158. The total number of confirmed cases in Oldham now totals 3374, a rate of 1423 per 100,000 population, the highest rate across Greater Manchester."

https://www.oldham.gov.uk/covid19data

What's going on here? Anyone any good with stats? I'm confused.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not that big a rise, I was just hopeful that we'd finally started to see things turn around in Oldham after all the measures, but it just keeps on creeping up. The dip yesterday might have just been weekend reporting.

Of course, it's worth bearing in mind that when you've had a sharp rise in an infection that can last several weeks, then your number of infected in the population wouldn't immediately go down, even if you had an R number of .5. Hmm, Maybe I should be looking for the R number, if I want to see the first signs of recovery......

Well, I didn't find it, but I found this data from last week, that seems to be showing a far higher rate than the MEN.

"Between 6 - 12 September Oldham had 280 new cases identified, an increase on the previous week total of 158. The total number of confirmed cases in Oldham now totals 3374, a rate of 1423 per 100,000 population, the highest rate across Greater Manchester."

https://www.oldham.gov.uk/covid19data

What's going on here? Anyone any good with stats? I'm confused.

I think those numbers are the total since the pandemic began, whereas the MEN is showing the numbers in the last week 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Confirmed Boris will address the nation at 8PM tomorrow, unlikely to be any different to his speech in the commons 

Wonderful. I can’t wait for him to tell us what we need to do whilst he refuses to accept any of the blame for this shambles. His whole Government are a joke.

30 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

From what I can gather:

- 10pm curfew on hospitality, effective from Thursday

- Return to working from home, where this can be done without detriment to the business

- Papers are split on whether household mixing will be banned straight away, the mail say it is likely. Telegraph saying Johnson will hold this option in reserve for now.

That whole "get back to the office and save Pret" thing was well worth it then.

Is this 10pm curfew really gonna stop covid?

The only good thing I would say is that establishments are now restricted to table service only, which restricts people moving around between tables, which is a lot better. Prevents crowding round bars in pubs too. Should have been this way since July i don’t know why this is only a thing now.