When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Scotland it was ten and then extended to 11 though I think other licence extensions could be applied for under special circumstances, such as drowning your sorrows after another football defeat😁

Yeah, I think it went to 10:30 when I first started underage drinking in 1978. All day on a Friday about 1980.

22 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Sadiq Khan is apparently lobbying the government to introduce a local restriction on London that makes face coverings mandatory on the street. That might actually make sense, it’s much easier to do 2m distancing in the street outside London where pavements aren’t crowded. 

But I thought it was only an issue if you spent 15 minutes in close proximity to someone?

24 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Sadiq Khan is apparently lobbying the government to introduce a local restriction on London that makes face coverings mandatory on the street. That might actually make sense, it’s much easier to do 2m distancing in the street outside London where pavements aren’t crowded. 

What’s the point of mandating them on the street if they aren’t compulsory in pubs and restaurants when not seated?

Majority of transmission is in indoor settings, masks outdoors with such a brief contact time seems pointless.

All of this build up just for a 10pm curfew as the measure seems a bit crazy.

I’m confused about this whole masks on the street thing. What’s the point of wearing them on the street in an outdoor environment, which is a relatively low transmission risk, to then just take them off when entering a pub or a restaurant, a higher risk environment and to walk around in that indoor environment without a mask on is ok? 

Surely should be the other way round, masks don’t seem necessary on the street as is a low risk environment (this strategy has not worked in Spain and France) but in restaurants and pubs could definitely prevent outbreaks. It’s all a bit back to front I hope they don’t mess something else up again...

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’m confused about this whole masks on the street thing. What’s the point of wearing them on the street in an outdoor environment, which is a relatively low transmission risk, to then just take them off when entering a pub or a restaurant, a higher risk environment and to walk around in that indoor environment without a mask on is ok? 

Surely should be the other way round, masks don’t seem necessary on the street as is a low risk environment (this strategy has not worked in Spain and France) but in restaurants and pubs could definitely prevent outbreaks. It’s all a bit back to front I hope they don’t mess something else up again...

It's not an either/or.

Masks should be worn on the street and in restaurants/pubs.

The more mask wearing, the better. It's a minor convenience and reduces infection numbers. 

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's not an either/or.

The more mask wearing, the better. It's a minor convenience and reduces infection numbers. 

I’m not really sure mask wearing on the street will make that much difference but wouldn’t hurt to give it a try 

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's not an either/or.

Trust me I’m all for mask wearing, I just didn’t understand on the street but not in restaurants. I’ve been wearing masks since April haha.

Problem is mask enforcement in the UK is not strict enough, and also restaurant and shop workers should also have to wear some sort of PPE to protect themselves and co workers from infection.

Edited by FestivalJamie

45 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I actually find it quite easy to cross the road and avoid people. I'm in zone 2/3. 

If they make it mandatory I'll do it, but supermarket compliance is pretty poor where I live so I don't know if it will work. Also, will it make much difference?

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Trust me I’m all for mask wearing, I just didn’t understand on the street but not in restaurants. I’ve been wearing masks since April haha.

Problem is mask enforcement in the UK is not strict enough, and also restaurant and shop workers should also have to wear some sort of PPE to protect themselves and co workers from infection.

Agree with you wholeheartedly. Also that it might not work but we have to do something to change the very low level of compliance with mask wearing.

In Italy and Spain EVERYONE wears a mask and you wouldn't dare not wear one for fear of being singled out by the masses.

In the UK people feel safety in numbers with others not wearing them. Ironically they are anything but safe...

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually find it quite easy to cross the road and avoid people. I'm in zone 2/3. 

If they make it mandatory I'll do it, but supermarket compliance is pretty poor where I live so I don't know if it will work. Also, will it make much difference?

Exactly what I’m saying. Enforcement is none existent in shops and takeaways and compliance is dropping rapidly. It was like 40% when I was in London on Saturday. Introducing them on the street is pointless as they will say the police are to enforce it but the police aren’t enforcing current mask rules so they won’t enforce this new one?? 

Compliance would be like 40%, so I’m not sure whether it’s worth it. Pubs and restaurants are more of a controlled environment where staff should be told to prompt customers to put masks back on. Would be more effective to reduce transmission rates.

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's not an either/or.

Outside I’m not so sure ... let’s get inside sorted and working first ... really need to go hard on enforcement and get it people seeing it on the socials ... and that might mean that shops take a different approach ... We also need a clear exemption approach as well .... far too many exemptions ... and if it’s a genuine reason let’s make things easier for those people too 

Edited by crazyfool1

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Agree with you wholeheartedly. Also that it might not work but we have to do something to change the very low level of compliance with mask wearing.

In Italy and Spain EVERYONE wears a mask and you wouldn't dare not wear one for fear of being singled out by the masses.

In the UK people feel safety in numbers with others not wearing them. Ironically they are anything but safe...

Completely agree. I was in germany just under 2 weeks ago now. Masks aren’t required outside but in all indoor spaces compliance most of the time was pretty much almost 100%, bar a few exceptions over a 5-6 day trip. 

BUT the enforcement is super strict there compared to UK’s lack of enforcement. In germany the shop workers and restaurant and hotel staff have to take it upon themselves to enforce mask policy. McDonald’s, woman wasn’t allowed in with t shirt over face, others without mask turned away too. Supermarket 100% compliance and staff wearing too. Public transport near 100% compliance and ticket inspectors actively reminding people to put their masks on. In the UK it is socially acceptable just to accept that someone has their mask under their chin and not do anything about it. In germany not wearing a mask isn’t tolerated and often it’s no mask no entry. One of the many reasons they are able to control the numbers much more compared to our disaster.

In germany, masks have been mandatory in shops since 20 april! In england, it’s not even been 2 months! And in germany compliance was nearly 100% at all times whereas here it’s consistently between 40-60%. In germany they’ve been putting up with it way longer, enforcement is strict and people happily get on with their lives. Here its just a train wreck and people can’t put up with wearing a mask for what, 2 months?

Edited by FestivalJamie

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Outside I’m not so sure ... let’s get inside sorted and working first ... really need to go hard on enforcement and get it people seeing it on the socials ... and that might mean that shops take a different approach ... We also need a clear exemption approach as well .... far too many exemptions ... and if it’s a genuine reason let’s make things easier for those people too 

Exemptions you should have to have a valid medical certificate from your GP. Or no mask no entry. 

None of this “I’m exempt” crap where anyone can claim they’re exempt.

But I completely agree. We need strict mask enforcement in Indoor spaces; pubs restaurants bars shops hotels etc etc. Before we even think about on the street. Also actually tightening up enforcement in indoor spaces would have far more positive benefits on transmission than a weakly enforced masks on the street policy.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yay I’ve found something we are world leading at .... money laundering ... maybe we will get that announced tomoro in the absence of any other world leading news 

Nah, Trump is #1 I'm afraid! You wouldn't believe the amount of property he sells to Russian criminals, and they always appear to be willing to pay way over the odds too!