When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, st dan said:

But that’s because they may choose to do that rather than being told they have to, which is a completely separate issue. 
For me, I’m not sure how I would entertain my young son every night after nursery and on weekends without being able to see family/friends and do fun activities (zoos/soft plays/swimming etc). It was manageable in summer when we would go and play in the park and enjoy a walk in the sunshine - but the thought of 6 months in the rain and cold with nothing to do is not a pleasant one, and particular for him.  

yeah, lockdown definitely easier when the weather's nice.

But, then again, don't think we're going to have the same type of lockdown, will still be able to go shopping, to a restaurant, and to a pub.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Talk of resuming shielding on bbc news ... wonder if that will be for vulnerable or extremely vulnerable? :( not looking forward to this to be honest ... my life and head was starting to get back to a semi normal with some resuming of excercise bollocks :( 

What was the criteria to warrant having to shield in the first place? I had it in my mind that it was the VERY vulnerable people who have serious medical conditions meaning they’re very at risk, as opposed to all over 70s and anyone with any medical condition? 

10 minutes ago, mcmenace said:

Also strange that they only used trends from France and Spain who aren't managing at all well with a second wave, and none of the other EU countries who may be faring much better. 

in terms of population density and stuff we're pretty similar to France. We are similar to Germany too but they have all that immunilogical dark matter.

Edited by steviewevie

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Interesting how it’s in the Commons instead of a press conference, I guess they are worried about the possible rebellion over the COVID act from the Tory backbenchers.

As terrible as they've been, I think I honestly thought that over summer, behind the scenes, they were planning for all eventualities and getting things in place. Turns out it seems they just went on holiday and decided they'd cross that bridge when they came to it. Unbelievable! 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What was the criteria to warrant having to shield in the first place? I had it in my mind that it was the VERY vulnerable people who have serious medical conditions meaning they’re very at risk, as opposed to all over 70s and anyone with any medical condition? 

I’m not sure the exact criteria but I think the vulnerable was those that had the flu jab and as a type 1 diabetic that’s where I fell ... but there were also those that were shielding which had much harsher lockdowns and were I think clinically extremely vulnerable ... of course the science and medical knowledge should be able to make more individual decisions based on other factors like obesity age and ethnicity ... we will see 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

As terrible as they've been, I think I honestly thought that over summer, behind the scenes, they were planning for all eventualities and getting things in place. Turns out it seems they just went on holiday and decided they'd cross that bridge when they came to it. Unbelievable! 

Starmer brought it up in PMQs in July, there was a report which advised the Gov on what needed to be done. The PM hadn’t even read the report. 

Edited by Ozanne

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Starmer brought it up in PMQs in July, there was a report which advised the Gov on what needed to be done. The PM hadn’t even read the report. 

Should have made it a pop up book with an extra section for colouring in so Boris could get his crayons out. 

1 hour ago, onthebeach said:

I decided to brave a look at some of the comments/rallying calls on this protest. I’m interested to know why people go down this path - are they all selfish k**b heads or are some just scared people and cannot accept this random curve ball that nature sent us and there has be a reason/cause behind it? Anyway, it looks though they are arguing amongst themselves that the location cannot be used as apparently Trafalgar Square has a Masonic connection, then others are saying it can’t be in London as the whole of London has Masonic connections! Others are replying they need to be pragmatic over this to get the point across - so suspending some of their beliefs!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/20/the-qanon-conspiracy

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11464826/

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

But Sweden is basically finished with the pandemic right? All the other countries have a second wave to worry about, but Sweden has the herd immunity. The other countries will likely catch up on deaths in the second/third/fourth waves. I thought that was one of the key benefits of the Swedish approach? 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

But Sweden is basically finished with the pandemic right? All the other countries have a second wave to worry about, but Sweden has the herd immunity. The other countries will likely catch up on deaths in the second/third/fourth waves. I thought that was one of the key benefits of the Swedish approach? 

Immunity not proven ... long term health effects ... so I’m not sure it’s completely finished or it’s known that it is yet ? 6 months might give a more accurate picture .. 

23 minutes ago, stuie said:

I just thought exactly the same! 

What is becoming apparent is that there is such a huge cost to these continuing attempts to control the virus. 

From this letter, cancer deaths due to late diagnosis and delayed treatment killing more people than the virus.  That’s before you even stop to consider unemployment, poverty, mental health and addiction related deaths. 

I think people are realising this more and seeing life must go on. 

you two going to be there on saturday?

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

like we were finished with it in July?

25 minutes ago, stuie said:

From this letter, cancer deaths due to late diagnosis and delayed treatment killing more people than the virus.  That’s before you even stop to consider unemployment, poverty, mental health and addiction related deaths

It’s not just cancer treatments that are being delayed. My upcoming surgery is on hold indefinitely at the moment. My condition is stable so there isn’t a huge rush to operate right now but I would still like to get it sorted soon. 

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Nope, too soon to say (they might just be having a bit of a lull at the moment like we did a few weeks ago) - its still not been proven how long immunity lasts, and the rates of those in sweden who have had it is way below what is required for herd immunity. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you two going to be there on saturday?

Of course not 🙄

I don’t think Covid is fake, I believe it kills people, I’m social distancing, mask wearing and compliant, thanks.

So, are we not allowed to consider the indirect deaths that are killing more people than Covid, as those academics have in their letter, without being one of Corbyn’s brothers crew? 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Nope, too soon to say (they might just be having a bit of a lull at the moment like we did a few weeks ago) - its still not been proven how long immunity lasts, and the rates of those in sweden who have had it is way below what is required for herd immunity. 

Sweden were having a kind of 2nd wave in June/July...although the numbers of people dying didn't increase with the numbers of cases...which kind of gives us hope.

Just now, stuie said:

Of course not 🙄

I don’t think Covid is fake, I believe it kills people, I’m social distancing, mask wearing and compliant, thanks.

So, are we not allowed to consider the indirect deaths that are killing more people than Covid, as those academics have in their letter, without being one of Corbyn’s brothers crew? 

No. No lockdown sceptics allowed. Or tories. Or brexiters.

Marxists only.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Nope, too soon to say (they might just be having a bit of a lull at the moment like we did a few weeks ago) - its still not been proven how long immunity lasts, [b]and the rates of those in sweden who have had it is way below what is required for herd immunity. [/b]

Only on the assumption that 100% of us are susceptible to the virus. If there's a big portion of society that's naturally immune, herd immunity is achieved much faster.

28 minutes ago, stuie said:

I just thought exactly the same! 

What is becoming apparent is that there is such a huge cost to these continuing attempts to control the virus. 

From this letter, cancer deaths due to late diagnosis and delayed treatment killing more people than the virus.  That’s before you even stop to consider unemployment, poverty, mental health and addiction related deaths. 

I think people are realising this more and seeing life must go on. 

I genuinely don't understand why people think the halting of cancer treatment is due to the lockdown. The halting of cancer treatments was due to the prevalence of covid-19, it:

A) made it unsafe to expose people to hospitals due to covid-19 infections

B)) the worry over the NHS getting overloaded ment they had to halt a lot of procedures to free up capacity 

C) going to hospital with covid-19 circulating for a treatment that significantly weakens your immune system was deemed too risky for some patients

If you don't have another lock down, you can't have cancer treatments or screenings because hospitals will be overloaded and deemed not safe. 

• Upvote 2