When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

These tossers should be put on bed pan duty when the nhs gets rammed with covid patients, with no protective equipment and see if their beliefs hold up then

I decided to brave a look at some of the comments/rallying calls on this protest. I’m interested to know why people go down this path - are they all selfish k**b heads or are some just scared people and cannot accept this random curve ball that nature sent us and there has be a reason/cause behind it? Anyway, it looks though they are arguing amongst themselves that the location cannot be used as apparently Trafalgar Square has a Masonic connection, then others are saying it can’t be in London as the whole of London has Masonic connections! Others are replying they need to be pragmatic over this to get the point across - so suspending some of their beliefs!

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I've heard this a few times but I'm not entirely sure on it - lots of people spend lots of their time inside their own homes in winter anyway. It was easier to get out and about in summer but people also expected to be out and about more anyway.

Yeah, good point. It’s a lot easier to stay indoors if it’s pissing down or freezing outside.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

My views on this whole thing: As someone who has been strictly following the rule since march, only seeing friends outside, socially distanced or on zoom. I feel a little insulted when people say they are "over Lockdown." You are making the decision that you short term enjoyment and midterm mental health is worth more than letting people die or get long covid. Both things that affect the long term health and mental health of victims and families of those victims of covid.  Obviously there's always risks in life but it's very likely there will be a vaccine early to mid next year. 

People were "over lockdown" two weeks into lockdown. At least where I was, it was not long until I saw people hanging around town centre, mingling , not socially distancing, VE day, beaches etc etc. I know supposedly the majority of people stuck in lockdown but still most the people in my town who say they are fed up with lockdown, never fully locked down in the first place. And now those people have the added benefit of a couple months of socially distanced pubs, restaurants, cinemas, meeting friends inside, all stuff im yet to do and Im okay with that because it is enough for mental health just to meet these people outside or on zoom if it came to it. 

I understand that everyone is different and have different thresholds, but I thought we would see a little more resilience from the british public, It's ultimately the governments fault for the mixed messages u-turns, promising the virus will be over quickly, if we had a more realistic outlook at the beginning of this maybe the first lockdown people would have taken it more seriouosly (gov and public) 

I don't blame the public for the rise in cases this time, but do question that we can't do our part to stop 10 of thousands more lives this winter. If the vaccine is still not here late next year, then we should start living with the virus. But if we take lockdown seriously now, we could be in a better situation by then anyway

Don't forget Dominic Cummings doing what the hell he likes.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

My views on this whole thing: As someone who has been strictly following the rule since march, only seeing friends outside, socially distanced or on zoom. I feel a little insulted when people say they are "over Lockdown." You are making the decision that you short term enjoyment and midterm mental health is worth more than letting people die or get long covid. Both things that affect the long term health and mental health of victims and families of those victims of covid.  Obviously there's always risks in life but it's very likely there will be a vaccine early to mid next year. 

People were "over lockdown" two weeks into lockdown. At least where I was, it was not long until I saw people hanging around town centre, mingling , not socially distancing, VE day, beaches etc etc. I know supposedly the majority of people stuck in lockdown but still most the people in my town who say they are fed up with lockdown, never fully locked down in the first place. And now those people have the added benefit of a couple months of socially distanced pubs, restaurants, cinemas, meeting friends inside, all stuff im yet to do and Im okay with that because it is enough for mental health just to meet these people outside or on zoom if it came to it. 

I understand that everyone is different and have different thresholds, but I thought we would see a little more resilience from the british public, It's ultimately the governments fault for the mixed messages u-turns, promising the virus will be over quickly, if we had a more realistic outlook at the beginning of this maybe the first lockdown people would have taken it more seriouosly (gov and public) 

I don't blame the public for the rise in cases this time, but do question that we can't do our part to stop 10 of thousands more lives this winter. If the vaccine is still not here late next year, then we should start living with the virus. But if we take lockdown seriously now, we could be in a better situation by then anyway

I agree, some people are making out they've endured hardship beyond imagination. We had a strict lockdown for 3 months then a lot of loosening. They're acting like not being able to go to pubs and gigs is literally a fate worse than death. 

Just find some new hobbies for a few months and keep in contact with your loved ones with Skype and phone. it sucks (I've been reduced to buying a nerf gun and target pack! 😂 but people have it far worse and the alternative is far worse. 

With people struggling with loneliness and severe depression and anxiety, obviously it's much harder and I know they need more support, but I do think a lot of anti lockdown folk aren't in that category - they're just bored/fed up. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I agree, some people are making out they've endured hardship beyond imagination. We had a strict lockdown for 3 months then a lot of loosening. They're acting like not being able to go to pubs and gigs is literally a fate worse than death. 

Just find some new hobbies for a few months and keep in contact with your loved ones with Skype and phone. it sucks (I've been reduced to buying a nerf gun and target pack! 😂 but people have it far worse and the alternative is far worse. 

With people struggling with loneliness and severe depression and anxiety, obviously it's much harder and I know they need more support, but I do think a lot of anti lockdown folk aren't in that category - they're just bored/fed up. 

Some people will have endured hardship beyond imagination though...

Losing a job, losing your house and so on.

We don't all have 100% job security especially in the current climate and with that comes a lot of mental health issues. It's not as cut and dry as finding some new hobbies and keeping in touch with your loved ones.

I'm not sat here having a moan because I might not be able to go to the pub or go to a gig, I'm trying to raise awareness that by those industries having rules which in some instances means they are no longer viable those people affected by job cuts and so on will only increase.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Some people will have endured hardship beyond imagination though...

Losing a job, losing your house and so on.

We don't all have 100% job security especially in the current climate and with that comes a lot of mental health issues. It's not as cut and dry as finding some new hobbies and keeping in touch with your loved ones.

I'm not sat here having a moan because I might not be able to go to the pub or go to a gig, I'm trying to raise awareness that by those industries having rules which in some instances means they are no longer viable those people affected by job cuts and so on will only increase.

Yep, I agree with you here, there needs to be a long term plan for jobs and housing. 

But that is something that Rishi Sunak and the government should have planned for more. If they are planning to put us back in lockdown with no further financial help and eviction ban, then further Lockdown would be a bad idea. But that's down to the government. We need to understand that this is not normal times and not penalize businesses for not being able to run in a pandemic. Not penalize people who don't have saving sor savings have depleted due to the first lockdown. 

It is a farce how much money has been wasted on contracts to friends etc by the government while they simultaneously say there's not enough money to help every worker. - 

Like I also said, I consider myself in a privileged position, not financially - this pandemic will probably cripple me and most my friends for years to come. - But mentally I am able to take more of this. But I was just trying to point out that most the people calling for no lockdown and flouting the science and the rules, are the same people, who never stuck to the rules, had VE day parties etc etc. At least in my town. 

I don't think anyone on here seems like that and all the reasons to be concerned about a second lockdown are valid. Just I don't think we should be at our breaking point, considering countries that have taken the rules a lot more seriously. The Italians got together and sang the national anthem on their balconies. Our neighbors clapped for the nhs while having garden parties and relatives round throughout lockdown

57 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Yeah, it's not like it's brilliant, but previous generations had wars with the threat of bombs being dropped on their homes, or the gnawing dread that nuclear armageddon could be around the corner. 

We're kicking up a fuss at being asked to stay indoors and wear a mask. 

It's the first bit of proper hardship my generation have really been subjected to. I'm kinda glad I'm not being conscripted for a war instead. This is easy by comparison.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

So turns out they our contact tracing app that launched on Thursday does NOT actually do contact tracing. Can only be used for booking tests, accessing test results etc. What a joke. 

It’s not launched yet in most of the U.K. has it ? Or by that do you mean the one that goes live on the 26th ? 

going to type a tweet as i cant link it etc

The briefing showed recent trends in France and Spain and then showed that the UK would have 49k cases per day.

49k per day is a rate of 73.5 in 100k , nearly 3 times the rate in spain and 6 times the rate in France

if you want to compare france and spain, why wouldnt you use their doubling time which is every 3 weeks not every week?

they also didnt present the uk data using the same data format as france and spain.

so so confusing and fear inducing 

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

This letter is like all the things I've wanted to say but not clever enough to type!

I just thought exactly the same! 

What is becoming apparent is that there is such a huge cost to these continuing attempts to control the virus. 

From this letter, cancer deaths due to late diagnosis and delayed treatment killing more people than the virus.  That’s before you even stop to consider unemployment, poverty, mental health and addiction related deaths. 

I think people are realising this more and seeing life must go on. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pryce said:

going to type a tweet as i cant link it etc

The briefing showed recent trends in France and Spain and then showed that the UK would have 49k cases per day.

49k per day is a rate of 73.5 in 100k , nearly 3 times the rate in spain and 6 times the rate in France

if you want to compare france and spain, why wouldnt you use their doubling time which is every 3 weeks not every week?

they also didnt present the uk data using the same data format as france and spain.

so so confusing and fear inducing 

Also strange that they only used trends from France and Spain who aren't managing at all well with a second wave, and none of the other EU countries who may be faring much better.