When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not comfortable with the idea that’s been mentioned here that we open things up soon as the older population will more likely to pass soon (like we all will when we get old). We should aim to look after everyone no matter of their age, the elderly deserve respect for all they’ve given to society in their lifetimes as well; especially when we have the wealth of technology available to us which help us we should aim to help everyone. 

I think the point some of us are trying to make is to at what point do we look at the situation and look at the future impact on us all?

I appreciate that we will all have different views as to where that lies and indeed what should / can be done when we get there.

It's very important that we have this debate and even more important that we respect others opinions. I actually love coming here and talking to everyone about it because even though I hold my point of view I am more than open minded enough to allow myself to change that.

Conversation is healthy.

• Upvote 1

End of the day, our society is based on not social distancing. People are willing to go along with it for a temporary time if it means that we can save lives. Thats different to restructuring society completely for the long term for a full element of social distancing. That requires more consent from society than just Boris on top making rules for us. Especially since its their fuck ups which has led to this

Edited by zahidf
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I think the point some of us are trying to make is to at what point do we look at the situation and look at the future impact on us all?

I appreciate that we will all have different views as to where that lies and indeed what should / can be done when we get there.

It's very important that we have this debate and even more important that we respect others opinions. I actually love coming here and talking to everyone about it because even though I hold my point of view I am more than open minded enough to allow myself to change that.

Conversation is healthy.

I agree, I wasn’t saying otherwise 🤷‍♂️ Just saying I find that idea uncomfortable.

I know it’s difficult but is really recommend people to remember that we managed to get through the first wave, so we can get through the 2nd one. Whilst the Government have had the benefit of time to prepare so have we as people. Prepare for the worst case lockdown scenario so in the event it does happen you have your own contingencies in place. Speak to your loved ones find out their concerns and tell them yours and formulate plans. 
It might mean that some difficult decisions are made but get yourself in a mental place where you know they are coming and you are ready to make them.

Also I think it’s wise to try to veer away from the view point that society is crumbling and we are nearly at this dystopian future. If you look closely we aren’t. Whilst we might have to go back to not seeing loved ones for a bit it’s only temporary and things will eventually get to a stage where restrictions aren’t so prevalent.

Please try to remember we’ve done this once, we can do it again, have plans in place and talk to those close to you. 

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is a very important point, it’s not just your own personal risk it have impacts to others as well.

I’m not comfortable with the idea that’s been mentioned here that we open things up soon as the older population will more likely to pass soon (like we all will when we get old). We should aim to look after everyone no matter of their age,[b] the elderly deserve respect for all they’ve given to society in their lifetimes as well; [/b]especially when we have the wealth of technology available to us which help us we should aim to help everyone. 

What, like Brexit, Trump, decades of boom/bust economics, a society of Sun readers that is unwelcoming to immigrants, LGBTQ+, sexist, racist, decades of Conservative government. An economy that works for the 1% and the boomer generation of homeowners and landlords who have made life so difficult for our generation to even contemplate owning a home and they just tell us to eat less avocado on toast.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What, like Brexit, Trump, decades of boom/bust economics, a society of Sun readers that is unwelcoming to immigrants, LGBTQ+, sexist, racist, decades of Conservative government. An economy that works for the 1% and the boomer generation of homeowners and landlords who have made life so difficult for our generation to even contemplate owning a home and they just tell us to eat less avocado on toast.

Don’t get me wrong there are clearly vast inequalities in society and the world but have a look outside right now, is society crumbling? For the main people can still do the vast amount of things they always have done. I would imagine someone in Syria (for example) would give anything for our version of a crumbled society compared to what’s happened in theirs.

Again I agree all those things you list are signs of massive injustice and are the impact of a Government here that have lied at every step and only cares about their own interests.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I know it’s difficult but is really recommend people to remember that we managed to get through the first wave, so we can get through the 2nd one.

I think you’re massively underestimating the impact the nice weather over Spring/early Summer had towards people’s attitude to the initial lockdown. Walks around the park were lovely and made it manageable. 
As we move to winter on the rain and grey skies, and going outside isn’t an enjoyable activity, and that is when people’s attitude will really start to be tested.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, st dan said:

I think you’re massively underestimating the impact the nice weather over Spring/early Summer had towards people’s attitude to the initial lockdown. Walks around the park were lovely and made it manageable. 
As we move to winter on the rain and grey skies, and going outside isn’t an enjoyable activity, and that is when people’s attitude will really start to be tested.  

I've heard this a few times but I'm not entirely sure on it - lots of people spend lots of their time inside their own homes in winter anyway. It was easier to get out and about in summer but people also expected to be out and about more anyway.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Oh I know it’ll be tough, I’m not underestimating anything just trying to show some encouragement that we got through the first stage so we can do it again!

Some people might find it easier to be inside more if the weathers bad 😉

Edited by Ozanne

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Don’t get me wrong there are clearly vast inequalities in society and the world but have a look outside right now, is society crumbling? For the main people can still do the vast amount of things they always have done. I would imagine someone in Syria (for example) would give anything for our version of a crumbled society compared to what’s happened in theirs.

Again I agree all those things you list are signs of massive injustice and are the impact of a Government here that have lied at every step and only cares about their own interests.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That was more an argument towards why is young people don’t really owe the Boomer generation everything after the shit sandwich they’ve served us with. But I also think there’s fundamental disagreement between a lot of people on how strict the restrictions are. Take “Surrey man”, in his 40’s, two teenage children and a wife. Working from home with a huge garden, his lockdown experience probably isn’t that restrictive. Now take a young graduate living in north London in a flat share separated from their family, partner and friends. For the latter group these restrictions represent a full on breakdown in their lives. 

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I've heard this a few times but I'm not entirely sure on it - lots of people spend lots of their time inside their own homes in winter anyway. It was easier to get out and about in summer but people also expected to be out and about more anyway.

But that’s because they may choose to do that rather than being told they have to, which is a completely separate issue. 
For me, I’m not sure how I would entertain my young son every night after nursery and on weekends without being able to see family/friends and do fun activities (zoos/soft plays/swimming etc). It was manageable in summer when we would go and play in the park and enjoy a walk in the sunshine - but the thought of 6 months in the rain and cold with nothing to do is not a pleasant one, and particular for him.  

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

That was more an argument towards why is young people don’t really owe the Boomer generation everything after the shit sandwich they’ve served us with. But I also think there’s fundamental disagreement between a lot of people on how strict the restrictions are. Take “Surrey man”, in his 40’s, two teenage children and a wife. Working from home with a huge garden, his lockdown experience probably isn’t that restrictive. Now take a young graduate living in north London in a flat share separated from their family, partner and friends. For the latter group these restrictions represent a full on breakdown in their lives. 

For reference the elderly population I’m talking about aren’t boomers.

I’m aware that this will have been a massive change on people’s way of life for 6 months now I’m not meaning to downplay any of that. Whilst the restrictions might be strict it doesn’t equate to a society on its knees. I’m just saying we have time before restrictions tighten so prepare for that both in your mind and with your loved ones. I’ve done so, spoken to family about what might have to happen, been thinking about what I would do personally in the next few months as I find that helps my anxiety to plan and be slightly prepared (although any plans will probably fall apart 😂)

My views on this whole thing: As someone who has been strictly following the rule since march, only seeing friends outside, socially distanced or on zoom. I feel a little insulted when people say they are "over Lockdown." You are making the decision that you short term enjoyment and midterm mental health is worth more than letting people die or get long covid. Both things that affect the long term health and mental health of victims and families of those victims of covid.  Obviously there's always risks in life but it's very likely there will be a vaccine early to mid next year. 

People were "over lockdown" two weeks into lockdown. At least where I was, it was not long until I saw people hanging around town centre, mingling , not socially distancing, VE day, beaches etc etc. I know supposedly the majority of people stuck in lockdown but still most the people in my town who say they are fed up with lockdown, never fully locked down in the first place. And now those people have the added benefit of a couple months of socially distanced pubs, restaurants, cinemas, meeting friends inside, all stuff im yet to do and Im okay with that because it is enough for mental health just to meet these people outside or on zoom if it came to it. 

I understand that everyone is different and have different thresholds, but I thought we would see a little more resilience from the british public, It's ultimately the governments fault for the mixed messages u-turns, promising the virus will be over quickly, if we had a more realistic outlook at the beginning of this maybe the first lockdown people would have taken it more seriouosly (gov and public) 

I don't blame the public for the rise in cases this time, but do question that we can't do our part to stop 10 of thousands more lives this winter. If the vaccine is still not here late next year, then we should start living with the virus. But if we take lockdown seriously now, we could be in a better situation by then anyway