When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Until it's over, realistically indoor gigs aren't safe - however far away you are from people it isn't a ventilated situation so I cant see them happening until 2022 so we may have to cram a year of socially distanced outdoor gigs into 3 months in the middle of the year (which this year shows us is probably possible). 

Socially distanced indoor gigs are already happening.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this is setting the groundwork for another lockdown...?

I feel like a lot of the messaging at the moment is to prepare us for increased measures. 

I don't think we'll see a lockdown like earlier this year but restrictions are a given at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I would argue that if we erode society to the point that perfectly healthy young people who have many decades left to live decide it’s not worth it any more, that’s far more tragic than the natural selection that is covid deaths. People getting sick and dying is absolutely tragic, and we should certainly aim to control that as much as possible, but ultimately that’s what happens to us all when we get to a certain age. But ruining society to the point where people take their own lives, that’s really awful and something that should be avoided at all costs. 

Perfectly healthy young people are not going to suddenly decide it's not worth it any more. It doesn't work like that. Depression is an illness. It's an illness just like COVID. We have spent years and years trying to make that clear to people and I'll be damned if I let that slip away now. 

If people kill themselves because all live music gigs are now seated instead of standing, they're ill. If people kill themselves because they can only see five friends at once, and not twelve, they're ill.

And if we lockdown enough, we free up the NHS so we can actually treat people suffering from depression.

But someone getting depressed, not being able to cope, and killing themselves *is* "people getting sick and dying". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this is setting the groundwork for another lockdown...?

Yes, sounded very much to me like a warm up act forBoris to give some sort of churchillian speech about a national emergency and enforcing some sort of national lockdown, emergency powers etc. The vaccine thing sounded better. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, sounded very much to me like a warm up act forBoris to give some sort of churchillian speech about a national emergency and enforcing some sort of national lockdown, emergency powers etc. The vaccine thing sounded better. 

yeah...but not the full lockdown like last time maybe...keep schools open, keep shops/pubs/restaurants open...but restrictions on meeting other people, and maybe get people to work from home if they can again..?

maybe.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yep, genuinely concerned about the unrest that will inevitably come in the not too distant future. Could turn nasty. 

thing is, Germany arent doing this. Neither are SPain and France. Thats because they haven't fucked up track and trace and testing. 

Just out of a meeting.

Caught the tail end of the press conference and the vaccine talk sounded promising.

Analyst on the BBC has just said that in Spain hospital admissions are only 20% of what they were previously and in France only 10%.

Nice to see that they acknowledged the ongoing effects these measures have on people.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is a very important point, it’s not just your own personal risk it have impacts to others as well.

I’m not comfortable with the idea that’s been mentioned here that we open things up soon as the older population will more likely to pass soon (like we all will when we get old). We should aim to look after everyone no matter of their age, the elderly deserve respect for all they’ve given to society in their lifetimes as well; especially when we have the wealth of technology available to us which help us we should aim to help everyone. 

• Upvote 1