When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

So many of my friends have struggled this week, like a few on here, as we’ve got to that six-month mark and it just seems never ending.
Not sure getting a headmaster-style telling off from this lot - after being so good and sticking to the guidelines and advice - is going to help anyone’s mental health.

What’s the big struggle for most people? I played football on Saturday and saw a comedian last night. Or are people gagging to go to an opera then go clubbing?

1 minute ago, Homer said:

What’s the big struggle for most people? I played football on Saturday and saw a comedian last night. Or are people gagging to go to an opera then go clubbing?

Some parts of the country already have partial lockdown restrictions...so can't visit friends and family etc. And looks like things are about to get worse, and that this thing could be with us for a long time.  Plus, it's hardly normal going out to pubs, restaurants and shops...wearing masks, social distancing...I mean it's better than it was in April, but it's not as fun as used to be...but maybe that's as good as it can get.

38 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I wonder if Whitty/Vallance will lay out the possible restrictions and timescales, then once the gov has seen how popular the different options are, Bojo will announce that everyone's favourite choice will be brought in.

Maybe ITV can do a phone in vote. Let the country choose it’s own fate. 

Britains Got Lockdown 🙄

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Interesting that Whitty and Valance are doing their thing in Monday, and Johnson on Tuesday....separating the politics from the science.

Good luck separating the politics from it.

It seems every media (and social media) coverage and comment on the pandemic has a political agenda or undertone.

Tories point scoring rather than concentrating on, ya know, actually fighting the pandemic and labour seemingly revelling in the fact that they are doing such a bad job of it.

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

The struggle is trying to fathom how you can be allowed to do both of the above and especially in the football environment be so close to people you may now know yet we are also being told we can't hug our parents / grandparents.

I honestly think we're now in a situation where people are going to start doing what they want (if they haven't already) & I think public confidence in doing what anyone in government tells us to do has completely gone.

I'll give it a month or 2 before things really kick off with increased protests and clashes.

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

I went to the cinema in the morning (new Bill and Ted - big, dumb fun) and then also played football. One friend hasn’t felt comfortable travelling so hasn’t seen their family all year. They also live for theatre so that’s out for now while others are struggling seeing loved ones constantly flouting the rules and unnecessarily travelling.

17 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

The issue is a lot of people haven’t been sticking to those guidelines. Before the rule of 6, a lot of (mainly younger) people were hosting house parties in groups of up to 30 etc... and whilst maybe it wasn’t breaking the law, it was actively against the guidance. Social distance has gone out of the window and mask wearers are dropping like flies.

Even if the government don’t impose stricter measures, they need some sort of way to appeal to all of the people ignoring the guidance so that they start following the guidance so that the numbers can settle, not continue rising.

Most people I know were sticking to those rules of 6 anyway so it’s clear it’s more that’s contributing to the rise in infections. You know like being advised to eat out, go to pubs and back to the office etc. 

• Like 1

Definitely seem a much more divided populace on the whole pandemic issue than we were in spring. I think compliance is going to go through the floor to be honest so we will end up with more draconian restrictions later in the winter. A fucked economy and probably a shedload of deaths as well - the best of both worlds we had last time, but with a much more toxic public mood. Merry Christmas.

I follow LadBible for some crazy reason. It’s all shite these days but I tend to look at the comment section of posts to get an idea of what the average person is thinking. 

The amount of anti-maskers, scamdemics and Covidiots out there is scary but not surprising. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

32 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Definitely seem a much more divided populace on the whole pandemic issue than we were in spring. I think compliance is going to go through the floor to be honest so we will end up with more draconian restrictions later in the winter. A fucked economy and probably a shedload of deaths as well - the best of both worlds we had last time, but with a much more toxic public mood. Merry Christmas.

Yeah I think the public are sick of lockdowns. Most still will comply from fear but the community spirit died in Bernard Castle

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

So many of my friends have struggled this week, like a few on here, as we’ve got to that six-month mark and it just seems never ending.
Not sure getting a headmaster-style telling off from this lot - after being so good and sticking to the guidelines and advice - is going to help anyone’s mental health.

I dare say it has been hard, but the alternative is worse- can you imagine how much you’d struggle with mass death rates, mass infection rates and an overloaded NHS? I didn’t get where this mentality has crept in that everything will all be easier if we don’t have a lockdown and lift restrictions- what do people itching for that think is going to happen? That you lift restrictions and everything goes back to normal?

Also, I think when struggling it’s important to spare a thought for those that have had it far worse- NHS workers during the first surge, and also terminally ill people and those caring for vulnerable people- they got completely cut off form their friends, and many had to spend their last days/weeks/ months alone. It’s hard, but it could be a lot worse.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I follow LadBible for some crazy reason. It’s all shite these days but I tend to look at the comment section of posts to get an idea of what the average person is thinking. 

The amount of anti-maskers, scamdemics and Covidiots out there is scary but not surprising. 

Yeah, I occasionally search for the word "vaccine" on Twitter for updates on the trials.  Tried it the other day and it was full of anti-vaxxers.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I dare say it has been hard, but the alternative is worse- can you imagine how much you’d struggle with mass death rates, mass infection rates and an overloaded NHS? I didn’t get where this mentality has crept in that everything will all be easier if we don’t have a lockdown and lift restrictions- what do people itching for that think is going to happen? That you lift restrictions and everything goes back to normal?

Also, I think when struggling it’s important to spare a thought for those that have had it far worse- NHS workers during the first surge, and also terminally ill people and those caring for vulnerable people- they got completely cut off form their friends, and many had to spend their last days/weeks/ months alone. It’s hard, but it could be a lot worse.

The alternative is proper test and trace though, and to sort out a system to encourage people to quarantine for 14 days. Thats why we locked down in the first place

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

The alternative is proper test and trace though, and to sort out a system to encourage people to quarantine for 14 days. Thats why we locked down in the first place

Yep, and that's where the government once again monumentally screwed up so it's not an option right now. They put their mate in charge of it rather than seeking out the best qualified and most able- didn't even interview. Their focus seemed to be on getting people to end working from home, getting people to eat out and go to pubs with zero plan in place to deal with the consequences of it- its like they never thought we'd get to where we're at now. f***ing idiots! 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The world has gone fucking nuts.

I sometimes feel a little bit sad that I'm 44 and probably over half of my life has happened. But am starting to think that getting the f%ck off this planet in about 40 years might not be bad timing. Just need to go and hide in New Zealand in the meantime...

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Also, if your Location is correct, then you are London-based where there's generally a lot more to do.  Those of us outside of major cities don't actually have any of those socially-distanced kind of events to go to. We still have significantly reduced public transport as well.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Playing devils advocate but what about those who will be affected going forward because of the locking down & associated rules?

The % of the population who become seriously ill is low and even lower is the volume of deaths.

We are essentially protecting a very small minority of the country (is it in the 0.0...%?) when the ongoing issues of a crushed economy, mental health and also physical health will be affecting the majority in the months and years ahead.

It's an immensely difficult and delicate situation I realise however at some point does focus need to shift to beyond that of the next few months / year?

• Upvote 3