When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Perhaps restrictions on social media might work better than other restrictions ... although I’m not sure that would go down so well ... it really doesn’t seem to have many positive benefits ... efests aside :) 

That would just feed into they are trying to control us narrative... local lockdowns are not really working that great, misinformation is rife and people are simply not trusting the government anymore because the rules are all over the place!!! We have 4 sets of rules across 10 boroughs in Manchester it's nuts

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

That would just feed into they are trying to control us narrative... local lockdowns are not really working that great, misinformation is rife and people are simply not trusting the government anymore because the rules are all over the place!!! We have 4 sets of rules across 10 boroughs in Manchester it's nuts

Kind of tongue in cheek but yes ... rules need clarifying and maybe the lockdowns restrictions are too localised and complicated ... the areas just seem to spread anyway and we end up with a complicated patchwork .  

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

I have to admit that I am really proud of where I work, it’s a wonderful place. I’ve sat on many appeals boards and the rich kids that turn up with a lawyer tend not to get very far!

Your pride in your work/place is evident in many of your posts :) I think it's great. 

I hope not to work in university administration my whole life, but if I must be in a bit longer it would be great to work somewhere with even some scruples!

1 hour ago, alfc7 said:

If the government introduce a ban on household mixing is it likely to last as long as last time (like 3 months I think)?

It'll mean I can't go to work as we won't have childcare so won't be something we'll be doing in our house! Grandparents of our daughter will still be looking after her and I for one won't feel bad about it at all.

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

There must still be issues going on with the testing... ONS estimates 6000 daily cases, yet gov only reporting just under 4000. Seems like a lot of cases being missed perhaps people can’t book a test.

Hospital admissions are still rising. 205 new admissions today in england alone.

How is ONS estimating? Not everyone with symptoms will be getting a test, and not everyone with the symptom will have symptoms.

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

There must still be issues going on with the testing... ONS estimates 6000 daily cases, yet gov only reporting just under 4000. Seems like a lot of cases being missed perhaps people can’t book a test.

Hospital admissions are still rising. 205 new admissions today in england alone.

I think the ONS stats have always estimated more than the tests, even back in April/May. Presume their stats are based on their ongoing study, presumably the one I received a letter about? Haven't managed to call up yet but still intending to.

6 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Regrettably, there are absolutely no 'punishments' or 'consequences' that a university can (or will) act on their students. They want the students' fees, and if they kick them out they don't get them.

This isn't true. 

Every greater Manchester uni issued a statement saying students face disciplinary procedures up to exclusion if they don't follow guidance. 

Students are also being made to sign a pledge sticking by the rules and the GM universities aren't hosting any significant physical events as there's local lockdown

Those in the article linked will now have procedures against them. 

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The Xmas thing is surely because they know people are going to meet up over Xmas and its unenforceable 

Just got two last min tix to Milton Jones and Nathan Caton on the roof of the Bussey Building in Peckham. Will report back! Is apparently socially distanced. They've got Simon Amstell next week (sold out sadly).

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just got two last min tix to Milton Jones and Nathan Caton on the roof of the Bussey Building in Peckham. Will report back! Is apparently socially distanced. They've got Simon Amstell next week (sold out sadly).

Ah cool.  I got a warm up gig with Dylan moran at the bill Murray in Angel for Tuesday.  Fingers crossed the local lockdowns won't effect it