When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Yep it looks like that'll be the case. From the The Guardian:

'Fines will start at £1,000, rising to £10,000 for “egregious” offences and serial offenders.

More police resources will also be directed to find offenders in high-incidence areas. Officers will be told to act on tips from neighbours.'

21 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Self isolation now legally enforceable if you test positive, or close contacts of those who do. £10,000 fine if you don’t isolate. 

Another measure which is not going to be enforced yet again.... pretty pointless not going to lie.

—-

Anyway i heard on the news tonight the gov are “considering” a 2 week full lockdown bar schools and workplaces, but the scientists are pushing for 4 weeks. I guess we will see what happens.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Yep it looks like that'll be the case. From the The Guardian:

'Fines will start at £1,000, rising to £10,000 for “egregious” offences and serial offenders.

More police resources will also be directed to find offenders in high-incidence areas. Officers will be told to act on tips from neighbours.'

The police aren’t doing anything. My aunt said she was in a shop the other day with less than 50% mask wearing and they didn’t bother to tell anyone to put a mask on, instead they just bought a coffee.

Police aren’t going to enforce this one either, just like international quarantine is unenforceable.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Still deeply uncomfortable with 10k fines being issued. That's a life changing amount of money and there's been no parliamentary oversight or scrutiny of it at all. 

It’s just ridiculous to be honest isn’t it, and it’s all because they can’t sort out their testing problems, which is completely their own fault.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Because people will go "oh we can't go to the pub here but can in the South-West? Let's have a weekend in the South-West then!"

I wonder how much the ‘staycation’ (holidays in Britain) push helped spread the virus? Seems odd a big tourist area like the South West doesn’t have that high a rate though?

3 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Restaurants and pubs kinda closed in Dublin last night, take away only, or max 15 outdoor dining. Exactly the same pushback occurred when looking at the clusters, but our national public health emergency team explained how clusters are classified...basically, if someone picks it up in a pub or a restaurant, goes home and infects others in the household, it’s classified as a household cluster even though the source of the original infection was a pub/restaurant...they said they’d like to work backwards, but don’t have the time and are more focussed on tracing contacts forwards to contain the cluster...cdc interviewed positive cases in the US, and individuals testing positive were twice as likely to have dined out recently than those testing negative. Other studies have also shown indoor dining and drinking as high risk...so, the data above doesn’t tell the full story, just reflects how clusters are being classified.

I understand that. I also understand why if you’re going to close anything you close indoor Leisure stuff as it is least vital (apologies to everyone who works in the sector). But I worry that what is actually going to be gained in terms of Case Control is minimal, whereas the effect on Compliance and Mental Health will be significant. It could be counter productive as it forces people into Houses and more people crack under the pressure of being able to go to work/school but not see family/go out for a Dinner.

45 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Another measure which is not going to be enforced yet again.... pretty pointless not going to lie.

—-

Anyway i heard on the news tonight the gov are “considering” a 2 week full lockdown bar schools and workplaces, but the scientists are pushing for 4 weeks. I guess we will see what happens.

4 weeks would let two cycles go through households (in most cases) so that makes the most sense. But it's a political decision not a scientific one so I guess it'll just need to be whatever the government is comfortable with 

14 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I understand that. I also understand why if you’re going to close anything you close indoor Leisure stuff as it is least vital (apologies to everyone who works in the sector). But I worry that what is actually going to be gained in terms of Case Control is minimal, whereas the effect on Compliance and Mental Health will be significant. It could be counter productive as it forces people into Houses and more people crack under the pressure of being able to go to work/school but not see family/go out for a Dinner.

To be fair, unless you absolutely have to go to work, it’s not entirely rational to bring in restrictions like these and not ask those who can work from home to do so (which is what the measures above are accompanied with here)...I agree, just shutting pubs and restaurants on their own may not achieve the aim (I know workplaces can have more stringent measures in place, but none are as good as not actually physically interacting). The point here is to limit contacts. I don’t entirely understand why the idea of having a core group that you meet and only meet isn’t pursued further. Theoretically, under the existing measures, you can meet another household and have a group of 6 at any one time...but how many times you do that increases your contacts (a household with a couple in it could meet 20 different people indoors over a five day period (the average time it takes from infection to symptoms) and do that every 5 days and still follow the guidelines)...having say 10 people that you limit your contacts to would make a lot more sense to me. But I’m sure there is some reason why the current route has been chosen, I’m just not entirely clear on it!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

So we’re looking at a lockdown this time next month then?

Will there be other restrictions introduced this week or not?

maybe, probably, we don't know.

I'm guessing there is a bit of conflict going on in persuading no.10 what to do. There are Tory MPs and ministers who are very much against a 2nd lockdown due to the harm it will do to an already battered economy, and also for libertarian reasons. And there are the scientists, epidemiologists, hancock who will be worried on the health implications of a 2nd wave. I expect the latter group will win out, because despite the harm to the economy, loads of deaths is not a good lock.

Not sure when or what sort of lockdown they will do though, expect they're still trying to figure out what to do. I expect there will be restrictions...but govt are getting a lot of criticism over confusing messaging, so maybe they will try and keep it simpler somehow.