When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I won’t link to it on here but that twat Dan Wootton has written a Scum piece really going for Chris Whitty and claiming the future - and Boris’s leadership - is at stake if we continue to follow his advice. The BorisBoys are gunning for Chris on Twitter now, calling him ‘wet Whitty’ etc.

To be honest I think they’ve both done a s*** job, and I think Whitty (like a lot of the SAGE team) seems willing to stretch the truth to help the government (though seems to have his limits) & seems amendable to their pressure/persuasion,  but I find it rich that BJ supporters have the cheek to criticise someone else’s performance or ask for someone else’s resignation. Also worrying to imagine what kind of person they’d replace him with.

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I wonder if Germany and Italy just put one of their mates in charge of testing rather than... actually interview people and choose the most talented. Absolute joke that’s how we fill the most important positions here.

I’m pretty sure I saw that lab capacity is available at short notice here ... it’s just we are choosing not to use it and give the testing to the current private contractors ... can’t find the article now :( a

2 hours ago, zero000 said:

Rapid testing isn’t also the silver bullet it’s made out to be. It’s less accurate than the PCR version and could lead to a huge number of false positives if rolled out at the 10m a day “moonshot” scheme. We’re talking potentially 600,000 people per week being wrong classed as positive, assuming 1% false positives. They’re probably going to need to follow up these tests with a PCR tests to get an accurate picture.

Would it not be 100000 false positives if its 1% of 10m or am I missing something? Thats still a lot I know but I'd be happy with 9.9m people being tested correctly a day.

3 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Would it not be 100000 false positives if its 1% of 10m or am I missing something? Thats still a lot I know but I'd be happy with 9.9m people being tested correctly a day.

Sorry I should have been clearer. 10 million people a day so assuming that’s consistent across the street week that’s around 700,000 false positives a week. Equivalent to 2X the population of Cardiff having to isolate per week. That’s a potential problem. 

Just now, zero000 said:

Sorry I should have been clearer. 10 million people a day so assuming that’s consistent across the street week that’s around 700,000 false positives a week. Equivalent to 2X the population of Cardiff having to isolate per week. That’s a potential problem. 

Obviously it’s not ideal, but surely it’s better to have a few people falsely isolating at a time than have to have a national lockdown and everyone unnecessarily isolating? 

An ID card with a citizen number would really have helped with track and trace... The whole concept that in 2020 you are filling in a piece of paper in the pub for track and trace is actually laughable when you think about it - especially when you think about the fact that something like the oyster card is effectively a track and trace system in itself.

38 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Not a fan of fake sage. Using the same name as Sage makes me feel they are being purposefully confusing.

I thought that the use of independent SAGE was to highlight the fact that the official SAGE wasn’t independent. It was controlled by political pressure with Cummings sitting in on meetings.   The implication being that SAGE was not allowed to be independent 

wasn’t it started by a group of scientists that resigned from SAGE to protest about political interference?

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Obviously it’s not ideal, but surely it’s better to have a few people falsely isolating at a time than have to have a national lockdown and everyone unnecessarily isolating? 

I guess the issue is there is an assumption by the government that more testing is always a positive when it’s more complex. 

700,000 extra people a week could easily overwhelm the already fragile test and trace programme. Even worse than that is each person has on average 5 contacts: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/912458/Test_and_Trace_Week12_V2.pdf

That’s potentially 3.5 million people a week isolating wrongly due to false positives.  

I would think these rapid tests will need to be followed up if positive with a more accurate test to verify them. Akin to other nhs screening programmes like bowl cancer for example.  

19 minutes ago, tarw said:

I thought that the use of independent SAGE was to highlight the fact that the official SAGE wasn’t independent. It was controlled by political pressure with Cummings sitting in on meetings.   The implication being that SAGE was not allowed to be independent 

wasn’t it started by a group of scientists that resigned from SAGE to protest about political interference?

https://www.independentsage.org/independent-sage/

17 minutes ago, tarw said:

Yeah the political aspect of makes me mistrust them tbh. Feels like an inter scientist/anti tory thing. They are politicising science! But I also think they are using the SAGE name to make what they say sound like the official word..  

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Slate the tories all the time 

Its fine to point out mistakes but a lot of it feels political 

you mean they've been critical of the government handling of it?

They are just a bunch of academics with different areas of expertise and different opinions, and the whole point of it is to debate and advise transparently.

Edited by steviewevie

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Oh god my dad has fallen down the rabbit hole. He believes China have a vaccine and they are hiding it from the rest of the world. He also believes the virus was made in a wuhan lab and they released it to weaken the west 😕 

Oh dear. My boss says things like this, really gets me down. He’s out in Spain right now and has no intention of quarantining when he gets back, so hard being around people like that. 
Charm x

Edited by Charm

37 minutes ago, Charm said:

Oh dear. My boss says things like this, really gets me down. He’s out in Spain right now and has no intention of quarantining when he gets back, so hard being around people like that. 
Charm x

People like that...is whey you get incidents like this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54205353