When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

lowest cases but highest R  ..... for southwest :( 

That’s because the current low prevalence in SW means there’s a very big range of possible values of R there. To put it simply, the more cases you have, the more confident you are in estimating the true R. That’s why places like the NW have a much smaller range.

The most likely R number there is 1.25 which is smaller than most other English regions. 

14 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

If they use it to buy time to get Testing and Tracing up to scratch it probably makes sense. But I doubt that’s the plan. I think they’re going to have much lower compliance this time too.

They’ve had all of summer, it’s a huge error on their part. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

with more regional lockdowns, and maybe even a national one...maybe Sunak will have to extend the furlough scheme...unless they want to have job losses this winter on top of a 2nd wave and stupid brexit shite.

They’re probably happy to have all the Job Losses before Brexit

The country is fucked but the country is also divided. We need a common cause so everyone can come together and get rid of this government. 

They know causing this divide will stop any sense of national unity. 

Our best hope for that is if they do have to cancel Christmas. It’s the only common ground the country will fight for. 

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

with more regional lockdowns, and maybe even a national one...maybe Sunak will have to extend the furlough scheme...unless they want to have job losses this winter on top of a 2nd wave and stupid brexit shite.

Actually maybe that’s another reason to do the circuit break in October before furlough ends, so they can avoid another u-turn

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

They'll be thrilled in January I'm sure. 

The ONLY positive to that time period being cancelled is that there can't be "brexit celebrations" on NYE, which I could imagine leading to some tensions if things were normal

Wait, Brexit already happened. So are the Brexiteers really going to celebrate us leaving the trading area? I could almost understand celebrations in January when we left if I was a Brexiteer, but celebrating the end of the transition period? Seriously?

47 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

he needs to keep his new supporters in the north happy....

Nah, he got what he wanted (he can put voted PM on his CV now), I don't think he gives a shit about keeping the north on the Tory's side.

Edited by Simsy

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wait, Brexit already happened. So are the Brexiteers really going to celebrate us leaving the trading area? I could almost understand celebrations in January when we left if I was a Brexiteer, but celebrating the end of the transition period? Seriously?

Yes. Because then we're completely free, you see? And we'll have shown the EU not to mess with us. And then we can release the unicorns....

From Brexit to another divisive subject.... Eurovision 

The EBU who produce it have announced that it will definitely happen next year but they're using a 4 scenario plan ranging from going full steam ahead to part live/part virtual and will decide nearer the time which model to go for 

I could definitely see bigger events such as festivals and sporting events using this to give them to best chance of going ahead in any capacity 

Edited by Chapple12345

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

yeah, only the hardcore will be celebrating, surely...brexit has dropped right down as a priority in most people's lives.

Edited by steviewevie

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

From Brexit to another divisive subject.... Eurovision 

The EBU who produce it have announced that it will definitely happen next year but they're using a 4 scenario plan ranging from going full steam ahead to part live/part virtual and will decide nearer the time which model to go for 

I could definitely see bigger events such as festivals and sporting events using this to give them to best chance of going ahead in some capacity 

So it looks like the options are:

A: Go ahead as normal

B: Go ahead but with a smaller crowd and social distancing measures 

C - If travel restrictions are in place, go ahead with a socially distanced show but with some of the acts performing from their own country over a live stream 

D - Fully virtual show 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

depends if govt will sign a deal that is seen as not a true brexit by Nige and co.

It won’t. Because then he wouldn’t be able to get on the news. Though he is working on endless complaining about Migrant boats to keep himself in the public eye.

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It won’t. Because then he wouldn’t be able to get on the news. Though he is working on endless complaining about Migrant boats to keep himself in the public eye.

I’d love to get a copy of his DNA results to find out how much of his ancestry is from immigrants. I would not be surprised if his family is fairly new to the island. 

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

So it looks like the options are:

A: Go ahead as normal

B: Go ahead but with a smaller crowd and social distancing measures 

C - If travel restrictions are in place, go ahead with a socially distanced show but with some of the acts performing from their own country over a live stream 

D - Fully virtual show 

Yeah it seems a fair compromise, with a year to plan events such as festivals or sports such as the Euros I think a lot of these particular events will have contingency plans in place to allow them to go ahead, I know the IOC are determined to have the Olympics no matter what so I won't be surprised if they do it in this way and then decide at an appropriate time what the best route to take will be.

All events will have to make these compromises during the next year to allow them the best chance to go ahead which you can hardly blame them for

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I hope this is what happens, and that it's as close to a full on capitulation by Boris and co as possible, giving as little long term disruption as is possible in the circumstances (though the short term disruption with or without a deal is still pretty significant)