When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

That’s where they were idiotic in the extreme to rush out of Lockdown as quickly as they did. Compliance as always time limited. They’ve made it worse with their mixed messaging (and the Cummings saga) and I maintain that the different rules in different areas are totally counter productive. It just confuses people.

Obviously Cummings - and especially his lack of apology - changed a lot of people’s behaviour but they almost got people back on side with Boris’s Nando’s chart.

It was a clear (well, as clear as can be from this lot) roadmap towards the way out of this but because they put dates on it, Boris decided to ignore his own rules so that he wouldn’t be unpopular with his fanboys. I wonder how things would have been if we’d stuck to the levels and limitations in each stage of that?

Starmer questioned opening things up at the time and just got the ‘you’re the ditherers, the blockers, the blazers’ speech in response. I hope someone has a compilation of all of Boris’s ‘we are defeating the virus and saving the country’ quotes...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Obviously Cummings - and especially his lack of apology - changed a lot of people’s behaviour but they almost got people back on side with Boris’s Nando’s chart.

It was a clear (well, as clear as can be from this lot) roadmap towards the way out of this but because they put dates on it, Boris decided to ignore his own rules so that he wouldn’t be unpopular with his fanboys. I wonder how things would have been if we’d stuck to the levels and limitations in each stage of that?

Starmer questioned opening things up at the time and just got the ‘you’re the ditherers, the blockers, the blazers’ speech in response. I hope someone has a compilation of all of Boris’s ‘we are defeating the virus and saving the country’ quotes...

Nando’s map was before Cummings was it not? Nando’s map was early May

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Is that looking safe? We aren't going until Oct, so not sure it will be quite warm enough by then sadly.

Actually maybe not...just looked it up and cases starting to go up there too....I put Italy as saw on the news the other day they were testing all arrivals at airports and you'd get results in 30mins...and I would imagine going to those Italian touristy places without loads of tourists would be really nice.

2 week super strict lockdown in October apparently to coincide with the schools.

Makes me think that whenever half term is for the schools for the foreseeable future we might see a strict lockdown. What does this mean though? Closing the offices and pubs again?

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Agreed.....apart from the Xmas bit as I'm a bit of a humbug about that.  Festival of excess and all the gluttony and pressure on people to conform when they can't afford it.  Don't get me started on the ads that say such things as ".....and how about this 52" HD Smart TV for Gran....only £799 at PC World" etc.  Makes me fume.  Rant over.

im with you .... dont want the xmas tree needles .... just a nice covid jab wrapped up in tinsel :) 

Just now, Matt42 said:

2 week super strict lockdown in October apparently to coincide with the schools.

Makes me think that whenever half term is for the schools for the foreseeable future we might see a strict lockdown. What does this mean though? Closing the offices and pubs again?

TBh I can't see how the super lockdown will help especially if they have all those exceptions.... I just think its window dressing to look like they know what they are doing and asserting authority

I'd rather have the track n trace plus app working properly

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Close non-essential shops, no meeting in homes, let firms put people back on furlough. Most school half terms are only one week so that would be extended too.

It depends a bit what the driver is. If it's "we need to lock down a bit more at some point, and half term is the best way not to fuck up education" then that works. If it's "half term means loads of people going off on staycations and spreading it around" then maybe it would be more around travel/hospitality restrictions.

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Too late though in my opinion, that’s 5 weeks away! We will be at Spain and France levels of infections and deaths by then, if it’s happening it needs to happen now in my opinion

44 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It's worth pointing out that because London and the South East aren't too badly affected yet, as far as the PM will be concerned he is doing well. 

50 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Can’t agree that the exit from lockdown was rushed. We were able to meet outside in small groups and go to garden centres etc in May and June to varying degrees, but largely the country was locked from from 23rd March to 4th July and cases and deaths were low by the time we exited. 

On July 4 they were opening Pubs with Daily cases running at a higher level than a   lot of other Countries were when they did the same. Another couple of weeks would have helped.

I think the reality is once you come out of Lockdown cases are going to go up but I’d have liked to have seen them lower (admittedly, low numbers haven’t helped Scotland particularly).

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Latest R number and growth rate

Last updated on Friday 18 September 2020.

Latest R number range for the UK 1.1-1.4

Latest growth rate range for the UK +2% to +7%

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-r-number-in-the-uk

lowest cases but highest R  ..... for southwest :( 

29 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

TBh I can't see how the super lockdown will help especially if they have all those exceptions.... I just think its window dressing to look like they know what they are doing and asserting authority

I'd rather have the track n trace plus app working properly

If they use it to buy time to get Testing and Tracing up to scratch it probably makes sense. But I doubt that’s the plan. I think they’re going to have much lower compliance this time too.