When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It seems to me that we are all part of some social experiment where they aren’t recording any data from the measures they implement ... surely at this point they must have an idea of what a particular restriction does to the infection rate ? Don’t we have plenty of examples now from the U.K. and even around the world or is it simply us just guessing and hoping still ? 

It’s all just trial and error tbh mate. I had another read of the infamous Imperial model from March and it didn’t even suggest that a full lockdown should be used (it said to close schools and universities, isolate the entire household of suspected cases and to implement social distancing in the entire population was necessary to suppress the virus and push R below 1). Doing nothing would get the epidemic over within a few months but with the downside being we’d all be chucking our grannies into mass graves, the middle option of mitigation (or herd immunity as it has become known) would cut the death toll by 2/3 but still lead to 250,000 deaths and the NHS being overwhelmed multiple times over. 

I genuinely think our government is just winging it. The lockdown went in as a knee jerk reaction to Mother’s Day weekend when the population showed that it couldn’t be trusted to voluntarily practice social distancing and it’s just been a big game or trial and error ever since.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s all just trial and error tbh mate. I had another read of the infamous Imperial model from March and it didn’t even suggest that a full lockdown should be used (it said to close schools and universities, isolate the entire household of suspected cases and to implement social distancing in the entire population was necessary to suppress the virus and push R below 1). Doing nothing would get the epidemic over within a few months but with the downside being we’d all be chucking our grannies into mass graves, the middle option of mitigation (or herd immunity as it has become known) would cut the death toll by 2/3 but still lead to 250,000 deaths and the NHS being overwhelmed multiple times over. 

I genuinely think our government is just winging it. The lockdown went in as a knee jerk reaction to Mother’s Day weekend when the population showed that it couldn’t be trusted to voluntarily practice social distancing and it’s just been a big game or trial and error ever since.

My concern is that they're hoping all the chaos will annoy/anger/manipulate people into just getting on with it and accepting the higher levels of deaths (or simply believe it's not real) 

I think we're seeing this in Oldham and Bolton. These numbers only happen if there is a complete breakdown in most people caring about the restrictions. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yep I agree ... guided by the science is just an easy coverup for we haven’t got the foggiest and are winging it in the hope we get a vaccine .... and maybe not too many people die 

30 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I opened up to a couple of people I know about how I’ve been feeling on Wednesday and they’re helping me through it. It was a big hurdle for me to get through. I had a massive personal issue in 2018 which I went to therapy for after having to be talked out of suicide multiple times, and I felt okay asking for help with that, because it was a genuine problem in my life. This one I’m a lot more hesitant with because ultimately, these restrictions affect us all so I feel guilty for complaining. 

I’ve not heard any talk of gyms closing again, nor have I heard of any outbreaks connected to gyms. I’m actually in the same boat as you as I’d rank it, in order of importance to me 1. Seeing family and friends indoors, 2. Gyms, 3. Pubs and restaurants. But I’m confident we won’t see gyms close because from the sounds of things they haven’t really turned out to be the transmission vector that a lot of people feared they would. 

Good for you on opening up. Don't feel guilty, we are all affected in different ways and some worse than others.

Hope you're right about gyms, but as I say I was more worried the first time when doing Zoom style exercises classes at home was an unknown. Now I have a backup. But I'm enjoying being back as it's the really the only place I go most of the time! 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So I was asking this the other day but seeing as it seems even more likely now, what do people expect potential restrictions to be?

I reckon curfew on pubs and maybe no mixing outside households for a few weeks? Can't see pubs closing.

I posted this yesterday...goes through some of the options.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/17/which-coronavirus-measures-are-likely-to-work-best-in-the-uk

On 9/16/2020 at 10:36 AM, northernringo said:

So my girlfriend's sister is in her final year at school and they've all been notified that someone in her year has tested positive. She knows who it is and hasn't come in to close contact with him but they've obviously been in the same common room and communal areas.

Everyone in her year has been told to stay off school with no return date given. Is the entire year expected to self-isolate? I don't get it. My partner still lives with her sister and she has gone to work today as a supply teacher for a primary school. 

I just don't understand what the plan is supposed to be. If you keep all the pupils out of school (unless it is just for purposes of a 'deep clean') are they supposed to be isolating? Are their families then supposed to be isolating? That will never work...

My girlfriend and I decided that we wouldn't meet indoors while her sister is isolating but would maybe go on a walk together over the weekend.

Since we agreed that (we haven't yet met), her sister has developed a persistent cough! She has booked a test for 10.30 this morning so hopefully get the results soon.

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

My girlfriend and I decided that we wouldn't meet indoors while her sister is isolating but would maybe go on a walk together over the weekend.

Since we agreed that (we haven't yet met), her sister has developed a persistent cough! She has booked a test for 10.30 this morning so hopefully get the results soon.

Unfortunately I think that means your girlfriend has to self-isolate now? Could be wrong though, I always forget the exact rules on contact isolation. 

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Is there anything positive we can add to the current outlook.....I've had a sh*t week and all the 'rona talk is a bit 'end of days' at present 😥

Only 100days till xmas and hopefully we will have that vaccine or some idea when it’s rolled out by then ... that may give us the clue where we go with events and live music from that ... fingers crossed 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Is there anything positive we can add to the current outlook.....I've had a sh*t week and all the 'rona talk is a bit 'end of days' at present 😥

There’s a virtual efests meet planned tonight. Great opportunity to get pissed and chat shit. 

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yes there is. We live in the South West where currently infection rates and so on are low in comparison to our friends in the North.

Only caveat being we're going to be kneecapped for infection rates hundreds of miles from where we live.

Just been speaking to a colleague who shares the same view as me on it which was reassuring... 

• Like 1