When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, ManLj said:

I'd like to think so but I just don't see how.

I think you'd need to test people twice, once in advance of travelling to the festival site and this would permit travel to the event (to try and ensure they don't arrive with COVID and pass it on in queues to be tested, and reduce negative results on site which mean people get turned away etc.) then again on site which would guarantee entry to the festival.

Another option could be to essentially turn the festival car parks into drive through covid test centres, you park up and someone brings some kits to your car, you all self test in the car and then hand them back to be checked and wait for your result (would need to be an almost instant turn around and involve an army of staff).

The cost of doing this (to the event or the customer) wouldn't be viable I'd have thought. Not to mention the risk to the event of having a percentage of the crowd turned away and not spending money inside, empty stages etc.

I think it's far more likely that we'll just have to wait for this to blow over and for the virus to be nearly eradicated before large scale events start happening again.

or we go ahead at a low level of  risk .... with a vaccine for most at risk 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, gizmoman said:

"one young student who was walking through Victoria Square with her friends said she did not believe the virus was real."

So in this report they managed to get the full names and ages of the people who were concerned, but the "young student" is anonymous, how do they even know she was a student? You would think any decent journalist would give a bit more detail after taking a direct quote, especially after giving full disclosure for the quotes from "John Henderson, 60, with his friend Kevin Currie, 73. Both are from Harwood" I'm not saying people don't have this type of additude but you have to be suspicious when "journalists" are so lax.

Depending on how young the student was, there may be legal or best practice reasons not to give out the name.

6 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

As I work in hospitality I'm hoping for a national 2 week lockdown over the Xmas and New year period. 

I genuinely think this will happen. It'll be pitched very carefully, and it'll be introduced as a way of allowing them to reduce the restrictions on meeting up with family over that period. I don't see any other way they'll be able to do it. Even then I think we'll still have some restrictions - maybe larger "Christmas bubbles" of 12 or so that have to be the same 12 people over the two weeks.

51 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Dunno about other holiday hotspots but the Lake District is still almost at summer holiday levels. It's definitely dropped off a little but there's still loads about. September's always busy. It's all the people who don't like it when it's too busy so avoid the holidays. Troubled is, there's bloody loads of them!

Just cycled along our shore path. It’s heaving. As busy as a bank holiday Monday swing parks full.  Ice cream huts really busy as is the chip shops.  Queues outside the Weatherspoons.  Booooo😀.  I can see the mid term hols being mobbed. IF the weather holds!

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Depending on how young the student was, there may be legal or best practice reasons not to give out the name.

I genuinely think this will happen. It'll be pitched very carefully, and it'll be introduced as a way of allowing them to reduce the restrictions on meeting up with family over that period. I don't see any other way they'll be able to do it. Even then I think we'll still have some restrictions - maybe larger "Christmas bubbles" of 12 or so that have to be the same 12 people over the two weeks.

This is not what I’d like to see personally (because I really enjoy visiting people’s houses or hosting them at mine) but I think there is zero chance that household meetings will ever be prioritised over pubs and restaurants that benefit the economy. Not under this government. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This is not what I’d like to see personally (because I really enjoy visiting people’s houses or hosting them at mine) but I think there is zero chance that household meetings will ever be prioritised over pubs and restaurants that benefit the economy. Not under this government. 

Under most Tory governments I would agree. But Johnson won't be able to resist rolling out a plan to "save Christmas". 

I mean there's still a chance he says "fuck it" and doesn't do anything at all, but there's no way he's going to tell people they can't see their family at Christmas. It's just not his brand. 

A bubble of 12 or so seems like there isn’t much point, you either keep it fairly tight or it doesn’t do much?

I would think if they can’t go back to the previous restrictions it’ll sort of be like it is or maybe just a slightly bit more relaxed. That’s if the rates allow it, my family have also spoken about what might happen if we have any form of lockdown. 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Under most Tory governments I would agree. But Johnson won't be able to resist rolling out a plan to "save Christmas". 

I mean there's still a chance he says "fuck it" and doesn't do anything at all, but there's no way he's going to tell people they can't see their family at Christmas. It's just not his brand. 

Christmas will be where it all unravels I reckon. My money would be that he will keep hospitality open and while technically still advising against groups of more than 6, they’ll turn a blind eye to it and it’ll be widely ignored leading to some infections in January. Chris Whitty might well resign as well. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

A bubble of 12 or so seems like there isn’t much point, you either keep it fairly tight or it doesn’t do much?

I would think if they can’t go back to the previous restrictions it’ll sort of be like it is or maybe just a slightly bit more relaxed. That’s if the rates allow it, my family have also spoken about what might happen if we have any form of lockdown. 

In normal circumstances 12 doesn't make any sense.

One of the biggest problems over the Christmas period will be the amount of movement around geographical areas and between large groups. It's really common for a young couple to go to one family gathering on Christmas day with one partner's family (which could be 12 or so people), then over to partner's family gathering the next day (another 12) before going out with all their friends on New Years' Eve. That's the sort of thing that will cause huge spreads. If everyone just goes sees there family and stays there for a week, there's not actually a real problem - it's people moving around families that will actual spread things.

Plus then you have what we touched on earlier with the 7 or 14 day quarantine. If people are just told "no, it's groups of no more than 6 including kids for Christmas" loads of people will say "I'm ignoring that". But if you give them something more reasonable ("you can have a family Christmas, you just can't have that, and a New Year party, and see other people") they're more likely to follow the rules. 

Plus it's the sort of thing Cummings would do. 

(Essentially the way people behave during Christmas in the UK, the sort of activities they undertake, they're very different to the rest of year. Lots of people are off-work. The actual 3-4 day Xmas period most people actually spend indoors. Hospitality is obvious big at New Year but less so over the Xmas days)

I actually think part of the reason they’re panicking and flapping around trying to stop growth in some areas now is Christmas. It would be fabulous PR to be ‘the Government that saved Christmas’ especially with the Brexit shitstorm straight after so they want some reduction/stabilisation before then.

(Plus they know a lot-*lot*-of people will ignore the Rules then anyway)

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The last leader of this country to cancel Christmas literally lost his head. 

I’m sure Boris will be trying to avoid a similar fate. 

Technically it was posthumously.

Although I'll happily join the queue to dig up Johnson's corpse at a later date....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll be the first to admit I'll break the rules over Christmas if it remains at 6.

Would I forsake seeing my Nan on her first Christmas without her husband of 60 years? Tradition is for the whole family to meet at their house during the morning. No chance would I miss that.

Would I forsake my parents / in laws all spending the day with my daughter whom is all of their first grandchild? No way.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can’t see how we would be in a position as things currently stand to allow much larger groups at Christmas time, the weather conditions will mean the virus is much more likely to spread as people are indoors more. 

Its completely unenforceable and I VERY much doubt anyone is going to keep a limited on their family Xmas gatherings unless they themselves are nervous about doing so

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can’t see how we would be in a position as things currently stand to allow much larger groups at Christmas time, the weather conditions will mean the virus is much more likely to spread as people are indoors more. 

I can't disagree that technically from an epidemiological point of view it would be irresponsible to relax things at Christmas, but I think Boris might just go ahead and do it anyway. That's why I could see some government fallout over this because you have Whitty at CMO, Vallance CSO and Hancock at Health Secretary who are generally in favour of erring on the side of caution, whereas Sunak and others in the cabinet really value both the economy and individual freedoms. I think ultimately there will be some kind of fudge where the "rule of six" technically is changed to guidance instead of completely abolished to keep Hancock/Whitty/Valance happy and avoid the dreaded situation of Whitty resigning.

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'll be the first to admit I'll break the rules over Christmas if it remains at 6.

Would I forsake seeing my Nan on her first Christmas without her husband of 60 years? Tradition is for the whole family to meet at their house during the morning. No chance would I miss that.

Would I forsake my parents / in laws all spending the day with my daughter whom is all of their first grandchild? No way.

You’re undoubtedly not going to be alone on that one, my Grandad is in very poor health and my Nan has been under a lot of stress looking after him at the moment and a visit at Christmas would be mentally beneficial for them both, if we had the chance we’d visit them (we’d probably stay outside and bring them a Christmas dinner) - on a similar note though it’s logistically impossible to stop 65 million people from seeing their families during the period so I think they will end up doing a temporary bubble amount of 10 and d a U turn so it doesn’t include children, as has been said it would be great PR for them to have ‘saved Christmas’ and if they can’t then theyll be forever heckled by people and the media as grinches

Trust me I fully understand why people would feel ‘fuck it’ at Christmas, it would be really tough to split families apart. Say infection rates are how they were in April for arguments sake, how would that be managed at that time?

I think a lot more would follow any rules that we might think. If things are bad at that stage then I have faith people would follow any rules that might be in place.