When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That really sucks on the park thing. I'm not a morning person so tend to go for walks in the evening, so would mean parks are off limits Mon to Fri unless I wanted to get up especially early for a walk. Don't see the logic.

No mention about Oadby & Wigston from Matty H - we are only a small borough so probably gone under the radar even though we are 2nd worse in the country. We’ll probably get a tweet at midnight tonight telling us what we can’t do tomorrow!

Italy trials Europe’s first 'Covid-free flights'

Fed up with quarantine restrictions by Britain and other countries? Desperate to travel safely again? Italy thinks it has the answer, trialling Europe’s first “Covid-free flights”. Two of Alitalia’s seven daily Rome-Milan services will be reserved for passengers who test negative for coronavirus either at a rapid testing unit set up at Rome’s Fiumicino airport, or elsewhere within 72 hours before the flight, and can show a certificate to prove it. It’s an experiment that, if successful, could be rolled out to other domestic and international routes in the hope of allowing air travel to recover and luring back passengers.

“I think it’s better than just going inside the aeroplane not knowing if the other people are positive or negative,” said Lisa Mandini, clutching her test certificate. “It’s fast - I had to come to the airport just two hours before the flight. Even if a passenger has their mask down their face, I feel more secure like this.”

Fiumicino’s testing unit has been up and running for a month already: a simple and efficient process in which passengers from Croatia, Greece, Malta and Spain are given a nasal swab at the arrivals floor. The result comes in just half an hour, which they show at the airport exit.

Italy has moved from Europe’s first epicentre of the pandemic to a pioneer of airport testing. The question now is whether others will follow.

Festival application possible ? 

Edited by crazyfool1

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Watching the news,  seeing how difficult it is to get a Covid test, it’s obvious folk are having to hammer f5 desperately refreshing the booking page.  Glastonbury regulars should have an advantage in doing this, nothing new for us eh? 

It reminds me a bit of the coach ticket sales at the moment.

You really want to stay local but in reality you could end up having to travel 50 miles to get on a coach in a different part of the country for your ticket... 

24 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Watching the news,  seeing how difficult it is to get a Covid test, it’s obvious folk are having to hammer f5 desperately refreshing the booking page.  Glastonbury regulars should have an advantage in doing this, nothing new for us eh? 

Any backdoor links!?

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I seem to remember somewhere that there was an upcoming interview posted up with the woman who is the lead at AstraZeneca for delivering the vaccine.  Anyone remember?  I can't find it after searching the site.

I think it’s the Life Scientific on Radio 4. Interviewing Sarah Gilbert. 

There’s also a really interesting series on Radio 4 called vaccines, money and politics which talks all about the COVID-19 vaccine development.

Christ I’m getting old. I’m 29 and I’m listening to far too much Radio 4 😂

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Probably worth repeating - how are they getting stricter measures than the North West? Liverpool/Wirral are worse than some of those North East areas, and we know the state of the Manchester area at the moment. Baffling decision making

according to this going to be reviewed today...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-live-updates-greater-manchester-18947702

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Definitely worth a listen.

I’ve been following the progress made by Professor Sarah Gilbert and the Oxford team from the beginning. I’m never stopped being impressed by her intellect, wide knowledge and down to earth approach. She also looks at the bigger picture - not just the ‘science’ but the practicalities of production, storage and distribution.

Saves my sanity that there are still people like this around - it’s like the ‘grown ups’ are back in town!

I’m such a fan girl

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Christ I hadn’t even considered the fact that half term is just over a month away. That could be a bit of a disaster if people are taking staycations all over the country. 

Dunno about other holiday hotspots but the Lake District is still almost at summer holiday levels. It's definitely dropped off a little but there's still loads about. September's always busy. It's all the people who don't like it when it's too busy so avoid the holidays. Troubled is, there's bloody loads of them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Italy trials Europe’s first 'Covid-free flights'

Fed up with quarantine restrictions by Britain and other countries? Desperate to travel safely again? Italy thinks it has the answer, trialling Europe’s first “Covid-free flights”. Two of Alitalia’s seven daily Rome-Milan services will be reserved for passengers who test negative for coronavirus either at a rapid testing unit set up at Rome’s Fiumicino airport, or elsewhere within 72 hours before the flight, and can show a certificate to prove it. ...

Festival application possible ? 

I'd like to think so but I just don't see how.

I think you'd need to test people twice, once in advance of travelling to the festival site and this would permit travel to the event (to try and ensure they don't arrive with COVID and pass it on in queues to be tested, and reduce negative results on site which mean people get turned away etc.) then again on site which would guarantee entry to the festival.

Another option could be to essentially turn the festival car parks into drive through covid test centres, you park up and someone brings some kits to your car, you all self test in the car and then hand them back to be checked and wait for your result (would need to be an almost instant turn around and involve an army of staff).

The cost of doing this (to the event or the customer) wouldn't be viable I'd have thought. Not to mention the risk to the event of having a percentage of the crowd turned away and not spending money inside, empty stages etc.

I think it's far more likely that we'll just have to wait for this to blow over and for the virus to be nearly eradicated before large scale events start happening again.