When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Nick Triggle on BBC now saying a second national lockdown is unlikely. Looking more closely at the figures, most of the country isn't really rising but the North West is completely spiraling out of control (33% of today's cases in 11% of the population)

I wonder if, instead of implementing some kind of half-arsed national "lockdown" like the measures I predicted earlier, they could be more targeted towards the North West but also more draconian. Boris doesn't want to harm the economy even more than it already has been and there's no need for draconian restrictions on the South if rates remain low, however preventing a spread from NW to other regions would only be achieved by very draconian restrictions on the NW (i.e. all out ban on non essential travel out of the region, possible road closures and train cancellations)

Honestly I think it should happen pretty immediately (and with no warning to avoid a north/south Italy situation) - there is no point risking pushing our clear problem to the rest of the country and making things worse than they already are. They've already let unis go back so some unaffected areas will now be seeing an influx, so mitigating it from normal travel needs to be next

Also they should probably stop people travelling between regions within the North West to keep it within the current hotspots.

If they are serious about stopping it, and testing has fallen over, this is the answer - decisive action. 

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Oh my god. Spain +239 deaths...

I really think you should try to take a break from the covid coverage for a bit, it’s not good for any of our mental health to be constantly reading up about it and going by your recent posts it seems that it’s having quite a negative impact on yours. Look after yourself and just because you’re not up to date on all the latest doesn’t mean you don’t care about the situation, just that you’re trying to care for yourself too, which is important.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

I really think you should try to take a break from the covid coverage for a bit, it’s not good for any of our mental health to be constantly reading up about it and going by your recent posts it seems that it’s having quite a negative impact on yours. Look after yourself and just because you’re not up to date on all the latest doesn’t mean you don’t care about the situation, just that you’re trying to care for yourself too, which is important.

Think I need to take that advice aswell, when Iam in work on 12 hr shifts I just read this site and the news all day and it's so depressing. We can all see what's happening again , we've just gone straight back to January again 😭😭😭

19 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I know you're on a wind-up but I'll bite - 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the league!

Me on a wind up? 😂

I’m going to have to concede this. The teams from the soggy side of the Pennines have won the same amount of Superleague titles as the teams over here on the sunny side. 

16 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Think this is good advice for a lot of people.  It’s clear that this is affecting lots of you and I’m not sure what benefit it is for each of you to read doom and gloom constantly.  All take care of yourselves. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

Think this is good advice for a lot of people.  It’s clear that this is affecting lots of you and I’m not sure what benefit it is for each of you to read doom and gloom constantly.  All take care of yourselves. 

Personally I find it helpful to read about matters, in a way it keeps me occupied. Plus I love the politics side of things. If anything I think posting here and following it all has helped me get through this time.

48 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Honestly I think it should happen pretty immediately (and with no warning to avoid a north/south Italy situation) - there is no point risking pushing our clear problem to the rest of the country and making things worse than they already are. They've already let unis go back so some unaffected areas will now be seeing an influx, so mitigating it from normal travel needs to be next

Also they should probably stop people travelling between regions within the North West to keep it within the current hotspots.

If they are serious about stopping it, and testing has fallen over, this is the answer - decisive action. 

Pretty much agree, although I will caveat that a north/south Italy situation was caused largely by a lot of people from the poorer South who had migrated to the economically wealthier north for work back home to their families and hometowns in the south for lockdown. 

Think of it as if London were the hotspot. London lockdown gets announced with a bit of notice and there’s a big migration of graduates in the 20’s to move in with their parents in their hometown (Note: This ACTUALLY happened during week beginning 16 March when the internet was full of rumours of a London lockdown and a lot of people fled out of London)

I don’t really think there’s a huge number of people in the North West who have ties in the South and would choose to flee the NW. Not saying there’s none, nor am I saying that I disagree with your policy idea, but I think the chance of a north/south Italy thing where our NW is Bergamo, probably isn’t something that’s likely to happen. 

19 minutes ago, sisco said:

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Personally I find it helpful to read about matters, in a way it keeps me occupied. Plus I love the politics side of things. If anything I think posting here and following it all has helped me get through this time.

Yeah that's how I see it - it's also not as if there's anything else to do - I find it (and nobody should take this the wrong way) interesting. Sometimes I have an emotional reaction to things but in general I mainly look into it from a political and world point of view. Its unprecedented and it's the type of thing that hasn't happened in many of our lifetimes.

My life hasn't changed really as I'm freelance and work from home anyway -  the gigs and travel were always my only real leisure activities and I dont expect to see them til realistically 2022 (without saliva test and/or vaccine miracles). So might as well take an interest in it all. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Pretty much agree, although I will caveat that a north/south Italy situation was caused largely by a lot of people from the poorer South who had migrated to the economically wealthier north for work back home to their families and hometowns in the south for lockdown. 

Think of it as if London were the hotspot. London lockdown gets announced with a bit of notice and there’s a big migration of graduates in the 20’s to move in with their parents in their hometown (Note: This ACTUALLY happened during week beginning 16 March when the internet was full of rumours of a London lockdown and a lot of people fled out of London)

I don’t really think there’s a huge number of people in the North West who have ties in the South and would choose to flee the NW. Not saying there’s none, nor am I saying that I disagree with your policy idea, but I think the chance of a north/south Italy thing where our NW is Bergamo, probably isn’t something that’s likely to happen. 

Makes sense- I was more thinking the southern students at manchester/leeds etc running home to their parents so they aren't stuck in the nasty north for lockdown....

29 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Me on a wind up? 😂

I’m going to have to concede this. The teams from the soggy side of the Pennines have won the same amount of Superleague titles as the teams over here on the sunny side. 

Ok, so the weather is better in Yorkshire - which makes you wonder, why are you all such miserable bar stewards? 🙂

In a slight break from the current rumours of stricter rules, we may get one relaxation soon. LSE Covid blogger Roz Taylor understands the government might follow France’s lead and cut self-isolation from 14 days to 7. The reasons being:

- 90% of those who are exposed to the virus are no longer contagious after a week

- Of course, the remaining 10% are the worry, however there is concern that basically the 14 day rule causes compliance levels to fall. Essentially it is believed there’s a significant minority out there that will comply with a 7 day quarantine, but if you ask them to do 14 days they’d tell you to shove it and not bother doing any. Basically there’s some thought that a 7 day isolation better protects society as a whole 

The other point on avoiding this thread is  that it is very difficult to escape the virus news at the moment ... so if you choose to avoid it , its likely you will just  end up looking for information elsewhere , without such a variety of views and potentially lots of negative stuff ... im thinking twitter .... at least there are some people here that are helpful if needed .... I prefer that to shutting myself away 

46 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I'm with you on this. There's so much shite going on in my life currently, not all of it Covid related, and I find it comforting for the most part to see your avatars and engage in the chat. It's Twitter that really affects my mental health badly.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I'm with you on this. There's so much shite going on in my life currently, not all of it Covid related, and I find it comforting for the most part to see your avatars and engage in the chat. It's Twitter that really affects my mental health badly.

Funny that I mentioned avatars and actually most people posting here don't have them! I like seeing your weird silhouettes then.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Speaking of masks, only 40% compliance in Sainsbury’s tonight. Ugly. Had my first instance though where I saw someone I actually know who was unmasked and managed to avoid awkward hellos because he didn’t recognise me because I had my mask on 😂

ive a person I was going to say friend that shops daily where I work and when he sees me he feels fit to shout my name at top volume .... I think on 5 occasions Ive managed to ignore him , dont think hes quite worked it out why yet !! 40% is horrendous ... are you in a city ? 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

ive a person I was going to say friend that shops daily where I work and when he sees me he feels fit to shout my name at top volume .... I think on 5 occasions Ive managed to ignore him , dont think hes quite worked it out why yet !! 40% is horrendous ... are you in a city ? 

London, but relatively in the sticks as far as London goes (zone 5)