When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

Haven’t been around for a while and this thread is 800+ pages deep... what’s the general forum consensus on Glasto 2021? Yay or nay?

edging towards more unlikely id say based on the feelings the last couple of weeks with the increase in cases this early and the testing shambles that needs rapidly sorting before the winter kicks in ....  55/45 ... not happening . but I like to edge on the side of positive 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that's my point though. I don't think they'll go back to shutting pubs and shops at all. If they're not doing it in Europe no chance they'll do it here. And as DeanoL said it's a bit much to expect people to stick to the households rule if you're allowed down the pub. Doubt people will bother.

We've followed all the rules to the letter and then some, only been out to two cafes since this started, and only then because they were empty enough we could follow the 2m rule. We get annoyed at folk on the street that don't make an effort to keep 2m. 

But we talked about it last night and figured that even if we're not allowed, if pubs and restaurants are still open we would still go ahead and visit my parents in November - they have a huge house, we'd have our own bathroom and bedroom and the lounge is large enough to social distance in. The idea that that would be unsafe while staying in a B&B nearby and meeting them in the pub everyday is fine just seems so ludicrous.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

We've followed all the rules to the letter and then some, only been out to two cafes since this started, and only then because they were empty enough we could follow the 2m rule. We get annoyed at folk on the street that don't make an effort to keep 2m. 

But we talked about it last night and figured that even if we're not allowed, if pubs and restaurants are still open we would still go ahead and visit my parents in November - they have a huge house, we'd have our own bathroom and bedroom and the lounge is large enough to social distance in. The idea that that would be unsafe while staying in a B&B nearby and meeting them in the pub everyday is fine just seems so 

Yeah I can't blame you. We've followed the rules too but that doesn't make much sense to me.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But we talked about it last night and figured that even if we're not allowed, if pubs and restaurants are still open we would still go ahead and visit my parents in November - they have a huge house, we'd have our own bathroom and bedroom and the lounge is large enough to social distance in. The idea that that would be unsafe while staying in a B&B nearby and meeting them in the pub everyday is fine just seems so ludicrous.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone can be mad at you for that. On the 2m thing it’s interesting for the lockdown I was at my partners house out in the sticks in Essex. We went out like once every two weeks to Sainsbury’s, and every day for a walk for an hour. On the walks, everyone was good at keeping 2 metres, either crossing the road to the quieter side or just tucking in to the side of the pavement to let people pass.

I returned to my SE London flat on 4th July, given that indoor gatherings were then allowed and so we could reasonably see each other at weekends and the odd weeknight. In London I noticed that absolutely no one gives a shit about 2m distancing on the street. I always try to keep my distance on the street, although somewhat safe in the knowledge that you’re very highly unlikely to spread anything just by walking past someone in the street. But I found this urban/rural divide pretty interesting. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

just out of interest has anyone been wearing face masks / coverings to visit parents ? my visits have been nearly all outdoors up to now although I once got caught out by rain .... pretty sure my dad would be annoyed if I did it ... but hey 

Mrs Q does it when she goes to her parents as her dad's just had surgery and is very much at risk.

We went to see my parents the other week, and gave them the option; as it was their house we're more than happy to wear masks indoors if it makes them more comfortable, but they were OK.  That's on the basis that all of us are very careful about what we do and where we go, so they're comfortable that we take all necessary precautions.

Still kept distance, sat outside while we could and well apart when we had some food later.

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

They locked down too slowly and too late to replicate what happened in the likes of New Zealand and re-opened too fast and too quickly to have something sustainable like in Sweden. The UK government has either by design or incompetence tried to find a halfway house between those two options and has wound up achieving neither. A monumental fuck up by a parcel of rogues who aren't fit to run a bath.

Hook this post to my veins. 

I would agree somewhere in the realm of 65/35 not going ahead. But we’ve still got 6- 7 months to April which you’d assume would be the go/no-go point so there is always hope. However no decision that is made by the Uk government gives me any hope. They make the wrong decision or the right one 3 weeks late. 

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I won't tell.

I wanted to visit my Mum...but it was after the Manchester restrictions in early August and she said no!

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Mrs Q does it when she goes to her parents as her dad's just had surgery and is very much at risk.

We went to see my parents the other week, and gave them the option; as it was their house we're more than happy to wear masks indoors if it makes them more comfortable, but they were OK.  That's on the basis that all of us are very careful about what we do and where we go, so they're comfortable that we take all necessary precautions.

Still kept distance, sat outside while we could and well apart when we had some food later.

I know my folks won't care and probably won't want me wearing a mask , although they are taking precautions (I think ) my dad doesnt want to discuss the virus .... kind of hard as we aren't exactly doing much thats not related in some way at the moment .... gonna wear one I think ... although they do have the bonus of space 

20 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

Haven’t been around for a while and this thread is 800+ pages deep... what’s the general forum consensus on Glasto 2021? Yay or nay?

I'm not confident.

The main problem being that GFL are going to have to make the call in late Jan or early Feb. I suspect things are still going to be pretty grim at that time. 

I think it's going to be all down to the timing of a vaccine being known at that time.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I know my folks won't care and probably won't want me wearing a mask , although they are taking precautions (I think ) my dad doesnt want to discuss the virus .... kind of hard as we aren't exactly doing much thats not related in some way at the moment .... gonna wear one I think ... although they do have the bonus of space 

Mine are very hot on it and take it very seriously, which makes my life a lot easier as I'm not having to worry about them anywhere near as much as I would if they were downplaying it.  I think that's why they were OK with us and vice versa, because we all know it's being taken seriously.

Plus outside as much as we can be while we're there.

4 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I'm not confident.

The main problem being that GFL are going to have to make the call in late Jan or early Feb. I suspect things are still going to be pretty grim at that time. 

I think it's going to be all down to the timing of a vaccine being known at that time.

I think it will probably boil down to a simple question of whether a vaccine has been approved yet or not. If the vaccine has been approved but will take a few months to roll out then I think it goes ahead. If it’s not approved by late winter then I think they’ll cancel. That doesn’t necessarily mean the whole festival season is a goner though like it did this year. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I think it will probably boil down to a simple question of whether a vaccine has been approved yet or not. If the vaccine has been approved but will take a few months to roll out then I think it goes ahead. If it’s not approved by late winter then I think they’ll cancel. That doesn’t necessarily mean the whole festival season is a goner though like it did this year. 

even if the vulnerable were to get it before the festival  .... would that be enough to make the festival happen at peoples own risk ? 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

even if the vulnerable were to get it before the festival  .... would that be enough to make the festival happen at peoples own risk ? 

I would imagine so, given that if the vulnerable are vaccinated we can probably afford to take a more relaxed approach on allowing the virus to circulate while others wait to get vaccinated 

My gut feel is that as next year goes on there'll be less govt mandated control and more "make your own call" responsibility thrown at organisations, events and punters.

Govt will have lost interest by then, and they don't have the will to make difficult calls that are actually for the wider good. Opportunity to continue offloading responsibility instead of, y'know, governing.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

My gut feel is that as next year goes on there'll be less govt mandated control and more "make your own call" responsibility thrown at organisations, events and punters.

Govt will have lost interest by then, and they don't have the will to make difficult calls that are actually for the wider good. Opportunity to continue offloading responsibility instead of, y'know, governing.

Yes - but I can't see that happening until vaccine roll out has started.

so based on the vaccine being delivered Nov - early spring .... there is still a good chance of heading through those Gates in June ..... just trying to add a positive spin to todays proceedings ... :) 

Im cautiously optimistic, though as above, i think its more because i dont think theyll give a crap about keeping it out of the community

So my girlfriend's sister is in her final year at school and they've all been notified that someone in her year has tested positive. She knows who it is and hasn't come in to close contact with him but they've obviously been in the same common room and communal areas.

Everyone in her year has been told to stay off school with no return date given. Is the entire year expected to self-isolate? I don't get it. My partner still lives with her sister and she has gone to work today as a supply teacher for a primary school. 

I just don't understand what the plan is supposed to be. If you keep all the pupils out of school (unless it is just for purposes of a 'deep clean') are they supposed to be isolating? Are their families then supposed to be isolating? That will never work...

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

So my girlfriend's sister is in her final year at school and they've all been notified that someone in her year has tested positive. She knows who it is and hasn't come in to close contact with him but they've obviously been in the same common room and communal areas.

Everyone in her year has been told to stay off school with no return date given. Is the entire year expected to self-isolate? I don't get it. My partner still lives with her sister and she has gone to work today as a supply teacher for a primary school. 

I just don't understand what the plan is supposed to be. If you keep all the pupils out of school (unless it is just for purposes of a 'deep clean') are they supposed to be isolating? Are their families then supposed to be isolating? That will never work...

I’m not sure if they have to fully self-isolate (probably do) or just stay off school, but their families don’t need to isolate. Certainly for contact tracing purposes you normally only are advised to isolate if you are a first degree close contact of someone who has actually tested positive. So households of the children can go about their daily business, although might be best to stay 2m apart from the child in the house (obviously much easier if it’s a teenager rather than a 5 year old of course)

17 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I'm not confident.

Maybe.

There's a possibility here that Glasto may have more luck than other organisations in a similar position, given so much of what they do is based on mutual understanding with suppliers over what they do, and people often charging them less for the prestige of it.

And then there's the fact that if so few things are going ahead that the industry as a whole might be more understanding if they want any business at all.

It's not always possible - if the work a supplier is doing has to be done months ahead of the festival then obviously they need paying regardless. But while it would suck for suppliers and workers to commit to doing the build and working the festival, and then have that fall away because conditions in April mean the festival has to be pulled, it'll suck even more if we have another year where they have no work at all.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m not sure if they have to fully self-isolate (probably do) or just stay off school, but their families don’t need to isolate. Certainly for contact tracing purposes you normally only are advised to isolate if you are a first degree close contact of someone who has actually tested positive. So households of the children can go about their daily business, although might be best to stay 2m apart from the child in the house (obviously much easier if it’s a teenager rather than a 5 year old of course)

Ok, thanks for that.

Of course, it would make more sense if we had widespread testing available and the year group could be off for a day or two and all pupils rapidly tested. Sadly the infrastructure isn't in place for that.

Hopefully if those rapid tests that Toilet Duck has mentioned get rolled out soon that will replace any ambiguity.