When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Apart from those that have to work to pay bills ... I’d imagine there are quite a lot of them 40 in my store workforce of 400 ... 

I understand that of course. My friend works for a supermarket and was paid to stay at home and shield for the duration. Does that rely on the government guidance for them to do that though? Probably.

23 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think they might go back to banning people from different households from meeting up in other peoples homes (unless you are in a support bubble). They would at this stage keep pubs/shops open but the next stage after if they need to is shut those venues.

Yeah that's my point though. I don't think they'll go back to shutting pubs and shops at all. If they're not doing it in Europe no chance they'll do it here. And as DeanoL said it's a bit much to expect people to stick to the households rule if you're allowed down the pub. Doubt people will bother.

PMQs should be good today. Crazy busy at work but might try to have it on in the background.

Should add also that I don't see just locking up the shielded as a particularly great measure on its own. Not only is it grim for those people but it's not that easy for them all to avoid contact with people mixing outside. My friend who shielded and would likely have to again has three kids, all back at school now, so even if she was staying fully at home if the virus is spreading like wildfire in the community she is still in a really dangerous position. That's before you even get to the mental health aspects, especially for those shielding alone. I've read on here a few times lately "let's just lock up the vulnerable" and crack on but it's not that's simple and it's not really a society I want to live in.

• Upvote 1

They locked down too slowly and too late to replicate what happened in the likes of New Zealand and re-opened too fast and too quickly to have something sustainable like in Sweden. The UK government has either by design or incompetence tried to find a halfway house between those two options and has wound up achieving neither. A monumental fuck up by a parcel of rogues who aren't fit to run a bath.

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I understand that of course. My friend works for a supermarket and was paid to stay at home and shield for the duration. Does that rely on the government guidance for them to do that though? Probably.

Yep totally I can’t see them doing it voluntarily ... at the moment I reckon it’s too early might be considered in a month ... 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Yep totally I can’t see them doing it voluntarily ... at the moment I reckon it’s too early might be considered in a month ... 

There should be definitely be government support for paying those shielding, if they are really serious about keeping the hospital numbers down. Probably won't happen though.

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

They locked down too slowly and too late to replicate what happened in the likes of New Zealand and re-opened too fast and too quickly to have something sustainable like in Sweden. The UK government has either by design or incompetence tried to find a halfway house between those two options and has wound up achieving neither. A monumental fuck up by a parcel of rogues who aren't fit to run a bath.

Out of upvotes but this.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I get the impression the government are now focusing on the deaths rather than number of cases?

If we end up following Peston’s report or do have another lockdown, Johnson and Cummings have the perfect chance to curate a ‘saving Christmas’ narrative - which we know the ‘Clap for Boris’ lot will lap up.

A friend said you can see The Sun headline now - a photoshop of Spaffer in a Santa costume with the headline ‘Bo bo bo’.

I think focussing on numbers of deaths and hospitalisations is the most sensible thing to do to be honest as this is something that gives us the best like for like comparison with the first wave, as given we have far more testing capacity now than we did in March and April, by definition we are going to find more cases than we did then. % of tests that are positive is also a good metric as this also enables for a more like for like comparison

10 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

cant say Ive always agreed with all of your posts .... but if you ever need an ear to bend .... please shout  .....  

yeah sorry I think I’ve basically realised I’m in denial about the severity of the pandemic hence repeated excuses for not wanting to be in lockdown. I’d be perfectly happy for them to close pubs and restaurants tomorrow tbh. I’ve been going to them, but could live without it. The big problem for me is that I’m in a non cohabiting couple and the mental toll of months of not seeing my partner would make life not worth living for me. We moved in together temporarily for lockdown 1.0 but that’s not practical anymore (all of our respective housemates are back now and don’t plan on going home for lockdown 2.0 whereas they did in March)

I’m not one of those anti masker conspiracy lunatics by any means, I’m just seriously worried about the mental toll of the prospect of another lockdown and have fallen into denial about the severity of coronavirus due to this 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

yeah sorry I think I’ve basically realised I’m in denial about the severity of the pandemic hence repeated excuses for not wanting to be in lockdown. I’d be perfectly happy for them to close pubs and restaurants tomorrow tbh. I’ve been going to them, but could live without it. The big problem for me is that I’m in a non cohabiting couple and the mental toll of months of not seeing my partner would make life not worth living for me. We moved in together temporarily for lockdown 1.0 but that’s not practical anymore (all of our respective housemates are back now and don’t plan on going home for lockdown 2.0 whereas they did in March)

I’m not one of those anti masker conspiracy lunatics by any means, I’m just seriously worried about the mental toll of the prospect of another lockdown and have fallen into denial about the severity of coronavirus due to this 

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Obviously, I wouldn't want anyone to break rules but I can't imagine non-cohabiting couples not being allowed to see each other in another lockdown. 

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So, I think we're agreed that the best thing the Government can do next is to support people, rather than restrict them.

absolutely Stu  starting with finance for me .... my company fortunately paid me at 100% before ..... but I doubt this will happen again ..... what else can they offer mental health support was done by volunteers ringing people last time I think ... 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

first point ....  dont be sorry for feelings or emotions for something that is completely  new and mentally challenging to every single one of us .... Its something thats completely new and bloody demanding at times ....  we have no idea what will happen for starters so I find its not worth concerning myself over something in the future that I have no influence on , and should it happen I try to cut my time down into small blocks , just a week at a time and the realisation that there will be an end to it and very much that support is available on here or elsewhere should times become very hard .Please Please Please remember you can get through it and its very much temporary .... 

I cant give specifics on the cohabiting bit but hopefully others on here can give some of the benefits of their experiences and methods of dealing with the first lockdown with time apart 

all the best 

55 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Should add also that I don't see just locking up the shielded as a particularly great measure on its own. Not only is it grim for those people but it's not that easy for them all to avoid contact with people mixing outside. My friend who shielded and would likely have to again has three kids, all back at school now, so even if she was staying fully at home if the virus is spreading like wildfire in the community she is still in a really dangerous position. That's before you even get to the mental health aspects, especially for those shielding alone. I've read on here a few times lately "let's just lock up the vulnerable" and crack on but it's not that's simple and it's not really a society I want to live in.

That’s a pretty valid point, I think putting ANYONE under lockdown restrictions is really grim for their mental health (whether you mean just the vulnerable, or the population as a whole)

It follows that I think a population wide lockdown is better than just the vulnerable IF that means it can be released more quickly, so for example a 4 week full lockdown is better than bringing shielding back for months. 

However, if the lockdown is going to be equal lengths regardless, then it’s a question of ruin the mental health of the vulnerable, or ruin the mental health of the entire population. It’s a pretty grim game of pick your poison.

Basically I’m wondering what your alternative is? Because if the only other option is a nationwide lockdown then it’s really grim either way. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I think they might go back to banning people from different households from meeting up in other peoples homes (unless you are in a support bubble). They would at this stage keep pubs/shops open but the next stage after if they need to is shut those venues.

1 hour ago, phimill said:

I think the tightest they will go is the current Birmingham regulations (no mixed households) - plus 10pm-5am curfew for hospitallilty

Pretty much agree with these two points. Home visiting is such low hanging fruit for the government because it’s probably the only thing that can be done to put downward pressure on R without harming the economy. 

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

absolutely Stu  starting with finance for me .... my company fortunately paid me at 100% before ..... but I doubt this will happen again ..... what else can they offer mental health support was done by volunteers ringing people last time I think ... 

Yeah, I was thinking with money - some sort of enhanced statutory sick pay for those isolating.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that's my point though. I don't think they'll go back to shutting pubs and shops at all. If they're not doing it in Europe no chance they'll do it here. And as DeanoL said it's a bit much to expect people to stick to the households rule if you're allowed down the pub. Doubt people will bother.

PMQs should be good today. Crazy busy at work but might try to have it on in the background.

Johnson also gives evidence to the Commons liaison committee at 1530 today.