When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

the bit about using GPs as gatekeepers makes sense. I hope they don't fail to do that because "the data will be delayed by 24 hours". It's not exactly "timely" now so it's better than nothing or just skipping to harsher measures

Imagine trying to get a gp appointment to get a test. They could do phone referrals but if they said no for a test and that person gets seriously ill the doctor will get reported. 

all they are going to say is yes you need a test. 

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's a good point that without efficient and effective testing the local lockdown strategy doesn't really work. Which does leave us in a difficult position.

I still can't see another nationwide lockdown though. People are not as accepting as they were in March and trust in the government has plummeted. I don't think either the government will want the negative reaction or that people will follow the rules. Of course if pubs and shops are forced to close then people can't do much about that, but I can't see them taking the economic hit.

So testing or vaccine...

8 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Imagine trying to get a gp appointment to get a test. They could do phone referrals but if they said no for a test and that person gets seriously ill the doctor will get reported. 

all they are going to say is yes you need a test. 

But getting a test doesnt stop you getting seriously ill, if you're bad enough then you're going to hospital. Knowing is only for isolation and being able to go back to work or school etc. 

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There will be a happy ending...but it's ages off. It'll be because of a vaccine.

My thoughts as well.

Certainly better treatment and a declining fatality rate (or first waves having just hit the super vulnerable already) will allow some elements of normality until then but the big wildcard is the long term effects for those who recover. Exposing your citizens to long term chronic illness is not a real outcome either. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Not intending to go to any raves or house parties but I’d rather die than spend any more time apart from my loved ones. Lockdown is not a life worth living. 

cant say Ive always agreed with all of your posts .... but if you ever need an ear to bend .... please shout  .....  

59 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's a good point that without efficient and effective testing the local lockdown strategy doesn't really work. Which does leave us in a difficult position.

I still can't see another nationwide lockdown though. People are not as accepting as they were in March and trust in the government has plummeted. I don't think either the government will want the negative reaction or that people will follow the rules. Of course if pubs and shops are forced to close then people can't do much about that, but I can't see them taking the economic hit.

So testing or vaccine...

I think a full lockdown is doable - a "sorry this is serious again" one. 

But it won't happen because they won't close the pubs, restaurants and shops.

Which means they won't get compliance on locking people down at home. No-one in their right mind is going to accept that it's okay to go meet their friends in a busy pub, but not have them round their house.

And it's the Tories, so there's no chance they actually introduce a COVID tax element to income tax to allow them to extend the furlough scheme and prop up the hospitality industry.

So we're fucked.

7 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I think a full lockdown is doable - a "sorry this is serious again" one. 

But it won't happen because they won't close the pubs, restaurants and shops.

Which means they won't get compliance on locking people down at home. No-one in their right mind is going to accept that it's okay to go meet their friends in a busy pub, but not have them round their house.

And it's the Tories, so there's no chance they actually introduce a COVID tax element to income tax to allow them to extend the furlough scheme and prop up the hospitality industry.

So we're fucked.

I think they will just have more restrictions....curfews etc. In the end we seem to just end up mostly doing what Spain and France do.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think they will just have more restrictions....curfews etc. In the end we seem to just end up mostly doing what Spain and France do.

Theres no chance of a full lockdown unless the hospitalizations get to the level that they were at the peak/if the NHS looks like it could be overwhelmed, I agree with you that they'll just put in other restrictions first (maybe through October and November) and perhaps allow them to be loosened in December in time for the festive period so they're not seen as the grinches who stole Christmas 

Edited by Chapple12345

I get the impression the government are now focusing on the deaths rather than number of cases?

If we end up following Peston’s report or do have another lockdown, Johnson and Cummings have the perfect chance to curate a ‘saving Christmas’ narrative - which we know the ‘Clap for Boris’ lot will lap up.

A friend said you can see The Sun headline now - a photoshop of Spaffer in a Santa costume with the headline ‘Bo bo bo’.

Edited by Ryan1984

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

10 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Theres no chance of a full lockdown unless the hospitalizations get to the level that they were at the peak/if the NHS looks like it could be overwhelmed, I agree with you that they'll just put in other restrictions first (maybe through October and November) and perhaps allow them to be loosened in December in time for the festive period so they're not seen as the grinches who stole Christmas 

Aside from curfew, what kind of restrictions do you think they will put in though? Just more stuff about meeting other people? If they don't want to shut anything then there's not a vast amount they can do.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Aside from curfew, what kind of restrictions do you think they will put in though? Just more stuff about meeting other people? If they don't want to shut anything then there's not a vast amount they can do.

yeah, good question. They might ask people to work from home if they can, u-turn on all that.

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, good question. They might ask people to work from home if they can, u-turn on all that.

That would make sense, although most people I know that can feasibly work from home are still doing so 99% of the time anyway. So not sure what it would achieve. They might put restrictions on shielders again but I'd imagine most people who were shielding will pretty much lock themselves down anyway if it gets really bad.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That would make sense, although most people I know that can feasibly work from home are still doing so 99% of the time anyway. So not sure what it would achieve. They might put restrictions on shielders again but I'd imagine most people who were shielding will pretty much lock themselves down anyway if it gets really bad.

Apart from those that have to work to pay bills ... I’d imagine there are quite a lot of them 40 in my store workforce of 400 ... 

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think they might go back to banning people from different households from meeting up in other peoples homes (unless you are in a support bubble). They would at this stage keep pubs/shops open but the next stage after if they need to is shut those venues.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, these people should be supported if have to shield, or self isolate.

Yep winter is going to be tougher ... although I’m still hopefull for a vaccine late in the year for the vulnerable ... for me personally it would be much easier if I had a timescale to work to ... summer was hard because of the never ending extensions , so if I went in knowing there was a vaccine in 8 weeks or 12 that might be easier to manage ... although I’d possibly not be quite so strict on myself , weighing up the mental health aspect too 

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think they might go back to banning people from different households from meeting up in other peoples homes (unless you are in a support bubble). They would at this stage keep pubs/shops open but the next stage after if they need to is shut those venues.

Shops won’t go ... it’s the golden quarter .... if they are still open not trading in the next few months will shut the entire high street completely