When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

All part of the same overall picture though ... the claims made should be backed up by what’s achievable not some figure plucked out of the air because it sounds good 

It seems to me that testing is a chain of events:

• Provide the testing equipment.
  • Get the person to be tested to a testing station
  • Obtain the sample.
  • Deliver the sample to the lab for analysis.
  • Analyse the sample
  • Get the result to the client, and if positive to track and trace ( and GP?).

This may not be all the steps, and obviously it is different for postal tests.

Like any chain it is only as strong as its weakest link. It is clear that the capacity figure quoted is based upon the strongest link, and so is never going to be achievable. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

A senior health official in China said she expected a vaccine to be publicly available as early as November, Lily Kuo reports.

Wu Guizhen, the head of biosafety at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said she expected Chinese vaccines for Covid-19 would be available to the public as soon as November or December.

Speaking to state broadcaster CCTV, Wu said: “It will be very soon. The progress is currently very smooth.”

I wonder how much of a safety "issue" you would overlook to save your own life....

10 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

What’s mad-again-is we’ve just had all this in Scotland where the Schools went back 3 weeks or so before England. Testing demand went through the roof because all the Kids instantly got Colds after months being cooped up. Schools and parents were then Directed to only get tests if the specific Covid symptoms were being shown. Why was the situation in England not anticipated when there was an actual Case Study happening?

because we have been reactive through out .... on everything  and now reactive again on testing .... we just dont seem capable of learning from mistakes or admitting to errors ....

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Whats better: A handful of children missing school because they may have a symptom of covid.

Or a whole year group of children missing school because one child didn’t isolate when a possible symptom first presented itself. 

At that age, missing a few days of school isn’t going to severely harm a childs development however if whole schools have to close again then we are in danger of severely hampering a generation of education. 

I'm not sure if that calculation is right, as it isn't 1 kid with sniffles Vs the whole bubble it's all of the kids whenever they have a sniffle and on top of that if one of them tests positive the whole bubble anyway Vs just the bubble when there is a positive test.

Up here in Scotland after a week an a half of school we got a letter from Jason Leitch reminding us all that cold symptoms are not COVID symptoms and only COVID symptoms require the kids to isolate.

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Up here in Scotland after a week an a half of school we got a letter from Jason Leitch reminding us all that cold symptoms are not COVID symptoms and only COVID symptoms require the kids to isolate.

The government info is OK but I much prefer it when the people up here put the message out on a way everyone can understand!

7D42E9D9-4AC6-41B1-A61D-12DA88CE7988.thumb.jpeg.1863f3816f89d0735de5463453fbd8cc.jpeg

19 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

What’s mad-again-is we’ve just had all this in Scotland where the Schools went back 3 weeks or so before England. Testing demand went through the roof because all the Kids instantly got Colds after months being cooped up. Schools and parents were then Directed to only get tests if the specific Covid symptoms were being shown. Why was the situation in England not anticipated when there was an actual Case Study happening?

Yep, this is the exact scenario in Ireland. Teachers make no call on whether a child can attend school or not. Testing is by GP referral and always has been, and when you ring and describe the symptoms, they make call on whether you need a test or whether it's more likely to be just a cold (and the same diagnostic criteria as listed by @Fuzzy Afro are used...new cough, temp, loss of taste/smell etc). If the doc says it's just a cold, then you just inform the teacher when they go to school that the decision on whether a test was required or not was taken by a medical professional. It's still resulted in testing centres full of kids who have just returned to school and we are slap bang in the middle of rhinovirus season, so loads of them have sniffles (and typically, this year's rhinovirus has a sore throat thrown in for good measure just to confuse things even more!). 

Are schools actually sending home kids with "the sniffles"? My friend's kid had to isolate and have a test, but she had a cough. Being a bit snotty isn't a symptom of covid, but (as far as I know) kids aren't being sent home just for the sniffles.

Obviously there are still a lot of kids with colds having to isolate/get tested, but it seems a bit disingenuous to say the problem is sniffley kids without covid symptoms being forced out of schools.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Are schools actually sending home kids with "the sniffles"? My friend's kid had to isolate and have a test, but she had a cough. Being a bit snotty isn't a symptom of covid, but (as far as I know) kids aren't being sent home just for the sniffles.

Obviously there are still a lot of kids with colds having to isolate/get tested, but it seems a bit disingenuous to say the problem is sniffley kids without covid symptoms being forced out of schools.

yep and id imagine if there were a few then it won't be close to the numbers of parents keeping kids out of school for tests as they will know the kids and symptoms far better than a teacher .... who might hear a kid coughing but in that scenario that is a symptom 

10 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Simply coughing isn't a symptom it is a new continuous cough that is a COVID symptom.

Yep quite right ... but in a kid returning from school holidays how would a teacher have any idea if it was new ? And the continuous bit doesn’t mean they don’t stop coughing I believe it’s bouts of coughing .. although I suppose getting hold of the parents is possible . Hopefully we will have some teachers post to find out situation in England when they have finished today’s medical assessments 

Edited by crazyfool1

ultimately it’s a parents/Carers role to care for their child/child Not the teachers!!! Although I don’t know of many teachers who wouldn’t look after after a child if they became ill! It’s a parental decision of wether they send their child in!! What doesn’t help is when the government throw fines at parents for not sending their children in!! 

23 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep quite right ... but in a kid returning from school holidays how would a teacher have any idea if it was new ? And the continuous bit doesn’t mean they don’t stop coughing I believe it’s bouts of coughing .. although I suppose getting hold of the parents is possible . Hopefully we will have some teachers post to find out situation in England when they have finished today’s medical assessments 

a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)

That's the advice the NHS gives. Kids with colds aren't coughing for over an hour and if they were they'd be being sent home regardless of the pandemic, so teachers and schools really don't have to be over zealous about this.

23 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Sounds like the remembrance Sunday gatherings is going to be cancelled, and crowds wont be allowed at the New Year Eves fireworks

Edinburgh Street party was cancelled a while back - doubt there will be a firework show either.   The end of festival fireworks over the august bank holiday didnt take place.  And with no tattoo there has been a significant lack of fireworks here all year.    I am missing them- it is too quiet.

11 minutes ago, mcshed said:

a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)

That's the advice the NHS gives. Kids with colds aren't coughing for over an hour and if they were they'd be being sent home regardless of the pandemic, so teachers and schools really don't have to be over zealous about this.

I think the issue is the sheer amount of scaremongering which has gone on leaving all teachers in an impossible situation:

1. Classify standard cold symptoms as what they are, keep child in class, risk a public hanging if it turns out to be covid + lots of others are then infected.

2. Send child home and not risk any of the above yet get pulled apart when there is a lack of tests!

I think it's an absolute disgrace that my Wife is now in this lose - lose situation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think the issue is the sheer amount of scaremongering which has gone on leaving all teachers in an impossible situation:

1. Classify standard cold symptoms as what they are, keep child in class, risk a public hanging if it turns out to be covid + lots of others are then infected.

2. Send child home and not risk any of the above yet get pulled apart when there is a lack of tests!

I think it's an absolute disgrace that my Wife is now in this lose - lose situation.

yeah, you'd have thought they would have seen this coming...

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Schools have been open for over a month up here in Scotland in all that time there must have been some transmission in schools. Nobody has blamed teachers for kids catching it.  Parents and the government have had an issue with schools being over zealous about sending pupils home.

I'm not sure this is a lose-lose situation, it seems fairly clear don't send kids home unless they are exhibiting actual COVID symptoms. People understand there is a pandemic and when some kids get it the teachers aren't in the firing line.