When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah it would be good to have that separated out - how many went in for that reason and how many asymptomatically tested positive but went in for anything else.

The potential margins are quite big considering the number of asymptomatic out there - but it's still a bad trend showing cases must be huge in the community. 

On that we still haven't got nearly enough of an idea of asymptomatic cases in general, thanks to the stalled testing capacity. I guess the saliva test will be where we get those answers. 

If there are stats for historical hospital admission numbers then maybe it could be roughly worked out as excess admissions compared to the previous year? In the same way excess deaths were calculated.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

so...does this mean we are now where we were back in early March when we were only testing those admitted to hospital?

(I know not really the same as we know so much more, have better treatments, social distancing and masks etc etc.)

No ... tests are available ... I know of a few people tested today ... although they had to travel to get them 

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

No ... tests are available ... I know of a few people tested today ... although they had to travel to get them 

No, I didn't mean that. Just trying to compare current situation with what was happening in the spring. Back then we were mostly only testing those admitted to hospital. Now, we test anyone with symptoms so can't care number of cases, but can compare hospital admissions...and numbers are starting to go up like they were in early March.

8 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It could well be, you need to read how these figures are compiled,

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

The label on your graph is misleading.

Yeah way I interpret it is that this isnt overall hospital admissions but the amount of positive tests being done in hospitals - so more who are coming in (which could be a flat amount each day) are testing positive. Which is very bad either way but COULD mean we aren't at the point of doubling admissions FOR it. By extension it could mean we can get relatively on top of it with new measures ( though they'd have to be better than this rule of 6 thing...)

But it could also mean loads more covid and less with other problems - we just dont know as it's a big gap in the figures and how they're presented, and has been the whole time.

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, Waterdeep said:

If there are stats for historical hospital admission numbers then maybe it could be roughly worked out as excess admissions compared to the previous year? In the same way excess deaths were calculated.

Probably not quite as useful - people can choose not to go to hospital, they can't choose not to die.

50 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Actually it’s the NHS definition of a COVID patient that is a bit misleading. COVID is the disease, but the NHS count all SARS-CoV-2+ patients as COVID patients (they all potentially are, but there are other diagnostic factors that should also be taken into account...I guess it’s hard when we don’t know exactly what the virus can do)...at the very least, knowing the SARS-CoV-2 status of the patient helps with management.

49 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I know I'm probably being a dozy twat here but the percentages of covid patients in relation to occupied beds don't seem half as bad as I imagined. I know the September data is from the 3rd and the last week has seen big increases but still. What am I missing? Could the extra 15000 occupied beds be down to covid? 

20200914_213810.jpg

20200914_202004.jpg

21 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

Eh?

Excess deaths is a really useful bit of data because it's a clear indicator of the net effect of COVID on deaths. It's really clear in what it tells us, I.e. how many extra people have died in the year with the virus compared to previous years. It doesn't tell us if it's a direct death from contracting the virus or some other knock on effect (fewer services for other diseases, mental health etc.), so in that sense it's not terribly precise in what it tells us. However it is very accurate compared to the other numbers flying around. There's not a lot of measurement ambiguity with excess deaths. The figures are the figures, we know if someone is dead or not. It tells us something very useful and definitive about the net effect of the virus.

Hospital admissions however are limited in lots of ways in telling us about the effects of the virus. For a start, hospitals can get full, and more importantly, they can be perceived to be full.  I've had a routine operation rescheduled, possibly until next year, for instance and a great number of other people have had their hospital admissions either deferred or cancelled. We may have been able to avoid pictures of ICU patients dying in the corridors waiting for a ventilator, but this came at the cost of cancelling most other treatment and scaring people away from seeking treatment.  So what I'm saying is that there are many factors that will suppress the hospitalisation levels that don't apply to deaths.

If you're considering admission to hospital, you can choose not to, or that option might not be available to you, but if your body is no longer able to support life, then you will still die.

• Upvote 3