When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

27 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I mean, if we are all back to normal in the UK next year then no ones going to be complaining. Besides, once we have one or more that works and is approved, they’re going to be churning them out at the rate of knots. Just because the UK and other G20 type countries will get them first doesn’t mean other places won’t get them at all. 

and there's your vaccine nationalism right there.

someone I work with said to me today that they were trying to get hold of a test for his nephew ..... hes a Boris fan but said to me he wishes he wouldn't lie ..... he probably won't change which way he votes though .... thats the kind of bonkers country we live in when we knowingly vote for liars fffs 

53 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

think they have, but I think it's pretty feckin dodgy that wealthier countries can preorder this stuff...vaccine nationalim...but entirely predictable I guess.

On the one hand, I agree, and if there was a way of making all of the manufacturers ensure that Covax and other ethical vaccine distribution partners got adequate stocks then it would be better. However, the pre-orders also represent risk-sharing in terms of the development and production costs (the whole cost is not provided upfront, but it encourages the companies to actually push ahead and make the vaccines). AZ don't traditionally make vaccines (I wondered why they were the chosen partners for Oxford at the start, but then the penny dropped that all the big vaccine makers had their own in the pipeline...Pfizer even hedged their bets and bought a German one that is further ahead than their own). So, something has to convince big Pharma to take the risk and if it's massive pre-orders accompanied by set amounts put aside for low income countries, then I guess that's one way of making it kind of work (AZ have committed to providing nearly 400m doses to Covax/GAVI/CEPI for example at $3 a shot for low and middle income countries, and Covax has raised enough funding to pay for half of them already)...The alternative is the companies fund the entire thing themselves, but then get to charge whatever the hell they like if it works (I think that would end up worse for everyone...the same rich countries would still buy it, but there would be less leverage to get cheap access for low or middle income countries). There still isn't enough doses put aside/committed, but it's a start...