When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

19 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

David Cameron criticises the internal market bill, meaning all living former PMs have now come out against it 

Trouble is, for the Cummings and co. that's a great thing. This whole deal is about shaking up the establishment. I imagine they are thrilled that all living PMs have spoken out against it - they don't want their support anyway. They're the old fogey remainers who are in the way of his "progress". They know by now that the best way forward is to plough ahead and take the criticism, because their voters respect no nonsense approach. Maybe they all need to speak out in support...?

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Trouble is, for the Cummings and co. that's a great thing. This whole deal is about shaking up the establishment. I imagine they are thrilled that all living PMs have spoken out against it - they don't want their support anyway. They're the old fogey remainers who are in the way of his "progress". They know by now that the best way forward is to plough ahead and take the criticism, because their voters respect no nonsense approach. Maybe they all need to speak out in support...?

they also have influence though on a vote that needs to be passed though ?  and quite a few brexit supporters have also come out against it ? that video conference the other night surely means they think the vote is going to be tight ?

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

they also have influence though on a vote that needs to be passed though ?  and quite a few brexit supporters have also come out against it ? that video conference the other night surely means they think the vote is going to be tight ?

When is the vote please?

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There’s a vote on the 2nd reading of the bill at 10pm.

Why are votes so late? Especially after the MP’s have spent most of the day in the Commons bar?

It’s depressing to know major decisions for the country are being made by a bunch of middle aged drunk Tories. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Why are votes so late? Especially after the MP’s have spent most of the day in the Commons bar?

It’s depressing to know major decisions for the country are being made by a bunch of middle aged drunk Tories. 

Everything else is late with this government so why would the votes be any different ? Maybe Boris can start blaming the alcohol along with everyone else he seems to blame 

47 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I'm probably reading too much in to it, but I reckon Boris and Cummings wouldn't be too hacked off if they lose these votes. They can just continue the narrative that people are getting in the way of progress, and paint themselves as the ones trying to "get Brexit done".

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm probably reading too much in to it, but I reckon Boris and Cummings wouldn't be too hacked off if they lose these votes. They can just continue the narrative that people are getting in the way of progress, and paint themselves as the ones trying to "get Brexit done".

Even if the people are their own MPs, many of whom won their seats on the get Brexit done mantra? Harder to spin now the party has been purged of many of the moderate voices. 

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

There is that but losing a vote is never going to look good especially with a majority of 80... that said I’m not sure 🤔 of how close it’s predicted to be . It  will just lead to instability 

Hang on, did a bit of digging on this Israel “lockdown”. Turns out what’s happened is that gatherings have been restricted to 10 indoors and 20 outdoors. So they’re in “lockdown” yet we have more restrictive rules than meeting up.

It’s about time we just stop using the term lockdown I reckon, because it seems to mean a wide variety of things from a full blown stay at home order to mild restrictions. News sources should be pretty clear about exactly what restrictions are being imposed on a particular area or country. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Hang on, did a bit of digging on this Israel “lockdown”. Turns out what’s happened is that gatherings have been restricted to 10 indoors and 20 outdoors. So they’re in “lockdown” yet we have more restrictive rules than meeting up.

It’s about time we just stop using the term lockdown I reckon, because it seems to mean a wide variety of things from a full blown stay at home order to mild restrictions. News sources should be pretty clear about exactly what restrictions are being imposed on a particular area or country. 

They have to stay within 500m of their homes except if going to work. Schools and shopping malls are closed.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

The vote is that late because it’s a Monday. The Commons sits later on a Monday as MPs travel to London from their constituencies after the weekend so this gives them chance to travel and a full day at Parliament. 

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think they will get bill passed tonight. Cox is abstaining...maybe some will do that but not vote against. The Lords is a different matter. It's going to get messy.

It’s just the 2nd reading tonight, it’s likely it will pass but will then go for the Committee stage through this week which is where amendments can be added. There’s a big one from a Tory MP Sir Bob Neill which will ensure the WA is abided by, that will be voted on next week. 

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

How were the airports? That'd be my worry. Planes circulate the air a fair bit and Germany is doing better than we are but airports would worry me.

The airports were fine to be honest, Heathrow was super quiet on the way out and back and Frankfurt where I flew from on the way back was equally quiet, neither had queues for security or passport control and everyone was wearing masks all the time.

My flight on the way out was super quiet, I had a whole three rows to myself so it felt really relaxing. The one on the way back was much more stressful (it was a full plane), I put myself right in the back corner to limit the amount of people around me, but the two girls in front of me pretty much had their masks below their chin the whole plane, so with about 20 minutes left to go I asked if they could wear them properly and they were super hostile to me, so it wasn’t particularly fun. I also don’t understand why the plane companies are bringing round food and drinks as it encourages people to take their masks off. The two people on the row beside me were fine and had their masks on the whole way except to have a drink of water, and I just kept mine on the whole time, and I was wearing one of the masks that they were in the Intensive care wards as my aunt said it should protect me even if others around me have their masks off. So hopefully it’s ok...