When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

this is quite an interesting article on bbc website today 

Coronavirus: Who would get the vaccine first?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54027269

The question then is....what does the public, and more specifically the Tory voter base, want? That's how the government will decide at which point restrictions are lifted here

Would people be happy going back to normal when the most vulnerable and health workers are vaccinated? Or will they want a higher percentage of the population?

We all seem split between two extremes of "if one person isnt safe then everyone must be restricted" to "shield the vulnerable and get back to normal" so its unclear what public perception would be. A yougov survey will show us the way I'm sure...

All this, and the timelines of the vaccine, will tell us how likely gigs and festivals are next year. I'm pretty sure those indoor ones in March, April etc have zero chance of going ahead. Probably Glastonbury and the early summer festivals too, maybe some later summer festivals could make it though? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

The question then is....what does the public, and more specifically the Tory voter base, want? That's how the government will decide at which point restrictions are lifted here

Would people be happy going back to normal when the most vulnerable and health workers are vaccinated? Or will they want a higher percentage of the population?

We all seem split between two extremes of "if one person isnt safe then everyone must be restricted" to "shield the vulnerable and get back to normal" so its unclear what public perception would be. A yougov survey will show us the way I'm sure...

All this, and the timelines of the vaccine, will tell us how likely gigs and festivals are next year. I'm pretty sure those indoor ones in March, April etc have zero chance of going ahead. Probably Glastonbury and the early summer festivals too, maybe some later summer festivals could make it though? 

I’m off the thought process at the moment that the vulnerable and health workers get vaccinated early next year and then things open at peoples own risk.. with more and more people getting the vaccine as the year goes on ... so I’m still hopefull for early festivals 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My mate is pretty Tory and Brexiteer (voted to leave and votes UKIP/Brexit in every EU election), but he’s pretty close to coming out for Starmer because of the mess the Johnson government is getting in to. He’d never vote Labour under Corbyn because he didn’t trust Corbyn to defend our country under nuclear attack (Corbyn flat out admitted he’d never push the nuclear button), but Starmer seems way more competent. 

A former colleague of mine who was the ultimate Tory Boy absolutely despises Johnson and said how many blue MPs have the same feelings. They’ll never vote Red but they might just stay away.

As for events next year, I feel Reading might be the first ‘big’ one back? Although at the end of Match of the Day last night they showed a newspaper report about how apparently the Premier League is pushing for fans to be in stadiums well before Christmas. Might help speed up safe gigs etc?

22 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

How legitimate is this.

I feel like its been skipped over in the thread. But the fact the tests could actually be close to 62,000 than the recent reported 200,000, that's thousands of tests are being thrown away. 

Could that mean the numbers are a lot higher than we are reporting now. 

It's on the Times site now:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/leaked-figures-reveal-scale-of-coronavirus-test-shortage-xjxprnm0v

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

A former colleague of mine who was the ultimate Tory Boy absolutely despises Johnson and said how many blue MPs have the same feelings. They’ll never vote Red but they might just stay away.

As for events next year, I feel Reading might be the first ‘big’ one back? Although at the end of Match of the Day last night they showed a newspaper report about how apparently the Premier League is pushing for fans to be in stadiums well before Christmas. Might help speed up safe gigs etc?

Premier league was looking at October I believe for start of fans returning but think this was put on hold with latest gov announcement ... 

4 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

So when do we hold these people accountable for lies such as "We have the highest testing numbers in europe" when the reported number are far exaggerated if this report is how I understand it.  

8 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

So when do we hold these people accountable for lies such as "We have the highest testing numbers in europe" when the reported number are far exaggerated if this report is how I understand it.  

To be honest I stopped believing the numbers when the government went from reporting 'number of people tested' to the 'number of tests issued'.  I do find it tiring though trying to navigate your way through a global pandemic when you don't believe a word that the people in charge say.  What's Hancock got to do to get the boot?

5 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

To be honest I stopped believing the numbers when the government went from reporting 'number of people tested' to the 'number of tests issued'.  I do find it tiring though trying to navigate your way through a global pandemic when you don't believe a word that the people in charge say.  What's Hancock got to do to get the boot?

Hancock would have to go back in time and not support the withdrawal agreement last year. Only way to get the boot is to be skeptical about an agreement that is now "flawed"

30 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My mate is pretty Tory and Brexiteer (voted to leave and votes UKIP/Brexit in every EU election), but he’s pretty close to coming out for Starmer because of the mess the Johnson government is getting in to. He’d never vote Labour under Corbyn because he didn’t trust Corbyn to defend our country under nuclear attack (Corbyn flat out admitted he’d never push the nuclear button), but Starmer seems way more competent. 

The press has so much to answer for. So because he wouldn't destroy other countries after we've already been destroyed ourselves he "wouldn't defend the country". As if america wouldn't flatten anyone who did that anyway. 

That said if we had gone communist they'd probably have shunned us completely...

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yep, the other person I was with is more of a floating voter - has voted for Labour and Tories in the past - and he is 100% behind Starmer. He still voted for Johnson, despite being an ardent remainer, though, because he hates Coybyn. My mate hails from Iran and apparently Corbs has done some pretty indefensible stuff with regard to those chaps (I bow to his superior knowledge on that one).

15 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yep, the other person I was with is more of a floating voter - has voted for Labour and Tories in the past - and he is 100% behind Starmer. He still voted for Johnson, despite being an ardent remainer, though, because he hates Coybyn. My mate hails from Iran and apparently Corbs has done some pretty indefensible stuff with regard to those chaps (I bow to his superior knowledge on that one).

I have some Indian mates that were also VERY anti-Corbyn and voted Tory despite generally being pretty centre-left. Apparently he had some pretty shady views on the Kashmir conflict and, for all that anti-semitism got the media attention, he was also incredibly unpopular among the Hindu population. One guy I spoke to flat out said “Labour are the political wing of Islam” 

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

Just went to McDonald’s as couldn’t be bothered for a sit down meal on my last day in germany. No mask no entry! Woman was turning people away with no mask, forcing people to sanitise their hands and also filling out a contact tracing form with name, phone number and address was compulsory!

So much stricter than england!!

mandatory from tomorrow I believe here 

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Just went to McDonald’s as couldn’t be bothered for a sit down meal on my last day in germany. No mask no entry! Woman was turning people away with no mask, forcing people to sanitise their hands and also filling out a contact tracing form with name, phone number and address was compulsory!

So much stricter than england!!

Wow imagine living in a competent country like this.

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

He’d never vote Labour under Corbyn because he didn’t trust Corbyn to defend our country under nuclear attack (Corbyn flat out admitted he’d never push the nuclear button), but Starmer seems way more competent. 

I'll never get this, if we are the victims of a nuclear attack it won't matter who's in Number 10, it will be the last of our worries if we are indeed lucky enough to worry.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Some good news on West end reopening 

I can't help but think it's a bit crackers. Just as there seems to be a lag between infection, case detection, hospitalisation and death, there also seems to be a lag between clear evidence of the beginning of a dreaded "second wave" and any adjustment of policy.

I was watching the news earlier today and the vox pops were talking about "we might soon be heading towards the beginning of a second wave". Exponential growth and a rise of hospitalisations has resumed. Whilst there are plenty of reasons to believe that this second wave won't be as bad as the first one, it seems pretty clear that we're not "heading towards" a second wave - it's begun. The sustained rise in cases was undeniable. Without significant restrictions, we're on a clear case towards having greater recorded (if not actual) cases in October.

I understand they feel compelled to reopen on economic grounds, but on health grounds, October will be an awful time.

I'd really like to eat my words.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't help but think it's a bit crackers. Just as there seems to be a lag between infection, case detection, hospitalisation and death, there also seems to be a lag between clear evidence of the beginning of a dreaded "second wave" and any adjustment of policy.

I was watching the news earlier today and the vox pops were talking about "we might soon be heading towards the beginning of a second wave". Exponential growth and a rise of hospitalisations has resumed. Whilst there are plenty of reasons to believe that this second wave won't be as bad as the first one, it seems pretty clear that we're not "heading towards" a second wave - it's begun. The sustained rise in cases was undeniable. Without significant restrictions, we're on a clear case towards having greater recorded (if not actual) cases in October.

I understand they feel compelled to reopen on economic grounds, but on health grounds, October will be an awful time.

Its either reopen and pay the staff or don't and make them redundant. 

If the government force them to close thats different but I'd rather they give it a go now with the social distancing.

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I feel like the general vibe out and about is that people still seem to think it's pretty much over. I went to the gym yesterday and the lady that took my temperature at the door said "you can come closer, I don't have corona - at least I don't think I do". Like FFS. There are 2m social distancing signs all over the gym.

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its either reopen and pay the staff or don't and make them redundant. 

If the government force them to close thats different but I'd rather they give it a go now with the social distancing.

They're not talking about now.  They're talking about October.  When you're in exponential growth, then things will look very different by then.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I feel like the general vibe out and about is that people still seem to think it's pretty much over. I went to the gym yesterday and the lady that took my temperature at the door said "you can come closer, I don't have corona - at least I don't think I do". Like FFS. There are 2m social distancing signs all over the gym.

You back to the gym? You've been being pretty careful haven't you?

A guy came up to me the other day and asked if he could share the machine I was on. I said I didn't think it was a good idea currently, to which he replied 'I'm wearing gloves'. I couldn't be bothered to explain why that doesn't make any difference and just let him go on. He then proceeded to use it without washing it before or after or saying thanks.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I have some Indian mates that were also VERY anti-Corbyn and voted Tory despite generally being pretty centre-left. Apparently he had some pretty shady views on the Kashmir conflict and, for all that anti-semitism got the media attention, he was also incredibly unpopular among the Hindu population. One guy I spoke to flat out said “Labour are the political wing of Islam” 

My mate's beef re Iran is at least part to do with the fact that Corbyn has apparently received tens of thousands of pounds over the years to appear on what he regards to be a pretty unethical middle eastern TV station.

Edited by Homer