When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Here you go:

University of Oxford resumes vaccine trial

The ongoing randomised controlled clinical trials of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 will resume across all UK clinical trial sites.

Globally some 18,000 individuals have received study vaccines as part of the trial. In large trials such as this, it is expected that some participants will become unwell and every case must be carefully evaluated to ensure careful assessment of safety. 

On Sunday [06/09/2020] our standard review process triggered a study pause to vaccination across all of our global trials to allow the review of safety data by an independent safety review committee, and the national regulators. All routine follow-up appointments continued as normal during this period. 

The independent review process has concluded and following the recommendations of both the independent safety review committee and the UK regulator, the MHRA, the trials will recommence in the UK.

We cannot disclose medical information about the illness for reasons of participant confidentiality.

We are committed to the safety of our participants and the highest standards of conduct in our studies and will continue to monitor safety closely.

Wasn't there some speculation last week that Oxford might release some initial findings around the 15th September? Here's hoping- though not sure if the pause in the trial will make them more or less likely to want to realise their initial data so soon.

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They've had such low rates in China, that the claims none of the vaccinated people have tested positive doesn't mean much. However, I do think there's a pretty good chance they will be one of the first countries to develop an effective vaccine, and countries that have spent the past few months attacking China will probably regret it. I think we should just suck up to them until we're all vaccinated, just to hedge our bets!

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

They've had such low rates in China, that the claims none of the vaccinated people have tested positive doesn't mean much. However, I do think there's a pretty good chance they will be one of the first countries to develop an effective vaccine, and countries that have spent the past few months attacking China will probably regret it. I think we should just suck up to them until we're all vaccinated, just to hedge our bets!

maybe u-turn again on Huawei.

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

I think that’s why they were stressing that they had vaccinated lots of people working overseas in areas where case numbers are a lot higher, but still haven’t seen any infections in vaccinated individuals. We all scoffed at the Russian vaccine too (to be fair, not necessarily the vaccine itself, but the fact it was “approved”), but they have looked into one of the most important aspects, namely storage and distribution, and found that a freeze-dried version of their vaccine works just as well. Compared to some of the high tech ones that need shipping and storage near -80, that’s a hugely significant result (should the actual vaccine work!)...

10 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I think that’s why they were stressing that they had vaccinated lots of people working overseas in areas where case numbers are a lot higher, but still haven’t seen any infections in vaccinated individuals. We all scoffed at the Russian vaccine too (to be fair, not necessarily the vaccine itself, but the fact it was “approved”), but they have looked into one of the most important aspects, namely storage and distribution, and found that a freeze-dried version of their vaccine works just as well. Compared to some of the high tech ones that need shipping and storage near -80, that’s a hugely significant result (should the actual vaccine work!)...

It is indeed. I do wish there had been more a lot more global coordination and collaboration between the worlds scientific communities, we'd probably get better and quicker results and the experience might have improved relationships between countries, instead of this slump into what seems like a new Cold War

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It is indeed. I do wish there had been more a lot more global coordination and collaboration between the worlds scientific communities, we'd probably get better and quicker results and the experience might have improved relationships between countries, instead of this slump into what seems like a new Cold War

Yeah, this whole episode has brought out both the best in some people and the worst in others! 

8 hours ago, Waterdeep said:

Not only that but it includes this too,

"There is a possibility that both the flu vaccine and the COVID-19 vaccine will be delivered at the same time, and we need to make sure that in this scenario there is sufficient workforce to allow for this."

Both vaccines given together? Who has tested this cocktail? There is a distinct possibility they could interact or cause someone to have a bad reaction due to having to fight both "infections" at once, so we are to accept poorly trained unqualified people giving us any number of unlicensed vaccines and treatments and there is no  legal recourse if anything goes wrong. And they call anti-vaxxers nutters.

Another point from this consultation is the need for an expanded workforce including non-medical personnel, this shows me they are going to make the vaccine mandatory, if it was voluntary they wouldn't know what the take up would be and so wouldn't know what level of additional workforce would be needed, if the vaccine is mandatory Doctors and other medical professionals would probably refuse to vaccinate people against their will, as it is unethical, they will therefore need non-medical staff who are not bound by medical ethics to inject the unwilling. It mentions delivery by military personnel so that could be what we will be facing. Am I being unduly paranoid? How many of you thought 6 months ago you would be living under the state imposed rules that now control every aspect of your lives?

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Another point from this consultation is the need for an expanded workforce including non-medical personnel, this shows me they are going to make the vaccine mandatory, if it was voluntary they wouldn't know what the take up would be and so wouldn't know what level of additional workforce would be needed, if the vaccine is mandatory Doctors and other medical professionals would probably refuse to vaccinate people against their will, as it is unethical, they will therefore need non-medical staff who are not bound by medical ethics to inject the unwilling. It mentions delivery by military personnel so that could be what we will be facing. Am I being unduly paranoid? How many of you thought 6 months ago you would be living under the state imposed rules that now control every aspect of your lives?

any other conspiracy theories today ? do you have a book of them ?  :) 

30 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Another point from this consultation is the need for an expanded workforce including non-medical personnel, this shows me they are going to make the vaccine mandatory

2 + 2 = 637

If they had plans to make it mandatory, then it'd likely be in the consultation. The fact it's not, suggests that they don't intend for that.

Even if Boris & Cummings did or do secretly harbour a desire to do so, it would require an extremely dramatic and controversial change in the law. A huge number of conservative backbenchers would hate anything along those lines, and the chances of it passing parliament (at least within a workable timescale) are virtually nil.

58 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Another point from this consultation is the need for an expanded workforce including non-medical personnel, this shows me they are going to make the vaccine mandatory, if it was voluntary they wouldn't know what the take up would be and so wouldn't know what level of additional workforce would be needed

They know what level of take-up is needed to get immunity. They'll be aiming for that. It's likely they can get there with volunteers.

They're not going to make it mandatory in a "police state" style way, rather if they struggle to get sufficient take-up you'll start to find more and more stuff "requires" proof of vaccination, starting with air travel, but potentially making its way all the way down to gigs, pubs, etc. Most of the population, even those wary of it, would accept getting it in order to be able to do stuff they enjoy again.

So yeah, I don't think you're exactly being paranoid, if it doesn't get the numbers voluntarily, it will effectively be made mandatory. Just they don't need to force ably inject you for that to be the case. There's far more subtle options open to them.

21 minutes ago, incident said:

2 + 2 = 637

If they had plans to make it mandatory, then it'd likely be in the consultation. The fact it's not, suggests that they don't intend for that.

Even if Boris & Cummings did or do secretly harbour a desire to do so, it would require an extremely dramatic and controversial change in the law. A huge number of conservative backbenchers would hate anything along those lines, and the chances of it passing parliament (at least within a workable timescale) are virtually nil.

I'll be delighted if i'm wrong but,

"Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said at daily briefings that he would like and encourage people to get a vaccine when it is available but has not said he would make it mandatory. In early May he said, “On the question of whether to make it [the Covid-19 vaccine] compulsory, I think the extent of the public’s reaction to following the lockdown shows that we will be able to achieve very, very high levels of vaccination without taking that step...whilst I don't rule anything out, we are proceeding on the basis that just such a huge proportion of the population are going to take this up because of the obvious benefits to individuals and their families and their communities and indeed the whole nation.” 

Later that month, when asked again if the vaccine would be mandatory, he said: “The question of whether it’s mandatory is not one that we’ve addressed yet. We are still some time off a vaccine being available. But I would hope, given the scale of this crisis, and given the overwhelming need for us to get through this and to get the country back on its feet, and the very positive impact that a vaccine would have, that everybody would have the vaccine."

Hancock wants everyone to have the vaccine so what do they do if a fair proportion of the population don't want it? I suspect they will try to "encourage" people by stopping them going to pubs,gigs, or travelling etc. if they haven't had the vaccine, of course this means those that have had it will need to show proof at every venue etc. It's true that this is still "conspiracy theory" at present but we won't have too long to wait now to see if it becomes reality.