When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

38 minutes ago, Homer said:

I think sometimes you need to remember the positives of the coronavirus: videos of US, Christian, Trump-supporting anti-maskers who may not be around to vote soon by the look of it:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1304462473718902784?s=20

so stupidly predictable that this whole coronavirus thing has become part of the culture war here and in the US.

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

A friend of mine is still on furlough and feels pretty sure that they will not he asked back to their job when the scheme ends. They’ve seen vacancies for jobs in the market that they really like the look of. What can they do?

Start applying and say they will be available from October?

If furlough finishes on 1 October, they should know about their current situation soon.

Any new job will need a month to six weeks to interview/set people up etc. I know it’s not the ‘done thing’ but they can always change their mind after accepting.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

A friend of mine is still on furlough and feels pretty sure that they will not he asked back to their job when the scheme ends. They’ve seen vacancies for jobs in the market that they really like the look of. What can they do?

Apply for them quickly, lots of posts closing before advertised dates due to such high demand. Get a good CV get applying as much as possible, there’s a job hunting war starting

58 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Do not apply for a new job if you think you’re about to get made redundant FFS, that’s the WORST thing you can do. 

17 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Do not apply for a new job if you think you’re about to get made redundant FFS, that’s the WORST thing you can do. 

I don’t understand this logic. 

Surely it’s better to have something lined up in case? If you can get out early and take voluntary redundancy you can usually get a better package and if you’re going straight into a new job then even better. 

I can understand not telling your company you’re thinking of leaving until the new job is confirmed and having something you can turn down if redundancy doesn’t happen is better than being made redundant then having to compete with your former work colleagues for the same limited roles out there. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don’t understand this logic. 

Surely it’s better to have something lined up in case? If you can get out early and take voluntary redundancy you can usually get a better package and if you’re going straight into a new job then even better. 

I can understand not telling your company you’re thinking of leaving until the new job is confirmed and having something you can turn down if redundancy doesn’t happen is better than being made redundant then having to compete with your former work colleagues for the same limited roles out there. 

Yeah I’d have thought this was the better way of doing it too. 

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Start applying and say they will be available from October?

If furlough finishes on 1 October, they should know about their current situation soon.

Any new job will need a month to six weeks to interview/set people up etc. I know it’s not the ‘done thing’ but they can always change their mind after accepting.

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

Apply for them quickly, lots of posts closing before advertised dates due to such high demand. Get a good CV get applying as much as possible, there’s a job hunting war starting

Ok I’ve let them know. I’m afraid I don’t really know anything about the furlough scheme and what that means so couldn’t give the best advice.

I agree :( the job hunting war looks like it’s going to be awful.

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ok I’ve let them know. I’m afraid I don’t really know anything about the furlough scheme and what that means so couldn’t give the best advice.

I agree :( the job hunting war looks like it’s going to be awful.

I'm going through the redundancy process at the moment (everything crossed I will keep my job but I'm placed at risk), I believe that if the company is planning redundancies they need to notify staff and start a 'consultation period'.

The consultation period is around 30 days I believe depending on how many staff are effected. If they plan to make redundancies before furlough ends they really should have started this process by now or be starting it very soon. As has been said though, nothing stopping them applying but maybe don't mention it to work.