When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

How is this breaking news? Of course the R is > 1. If it wasn’t then the number of cases wouldn’t have risen.

Not necessarily. There was instances 3-4 weeks ago where the official case numbers were rising (because of either more testing, or more *targeted* testing) but the R number was below 1 (because the true underlying number of infections were falling)

The key point now is that infections are rising, and hence R > 1. Positive cases are not necessarily always a good estimator of the true number of infections.

On 9/6/2020 at 6:26 PM, squirrelarmy said:

Just the North West. Can’t trust anyone from there

Merseyside now on the watch list....not surprising judging by all the social media pictures I saw from friends of friends Saturday night... Looked like a normal new years eve party 😡

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/11/coronavirus-cases-in-england-doubling-every-eight-days-study-shows

France worse tho - 10K in a day - highest ever single day total. Near 100K in a day in india. No doubt improved testing biases this a little, but probably not enough to explain away increases. Suppose everyone knew this would probably happen tho.

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/11/coronavirus-cases-in-england-doubling-every-eight-days-study-shows

France worse tho - 10K in a day - highest ever single day total. Near 100K in a day in india. No doubt improved testing biases this a little, but probably not enough to explain away increases. Suppose everyone knew this would probably happen tho.

Yeah, France is looking bad..I think Macron going to annouce a plan to tackle rising cases today.....

33 minutes ago, stuie said:

How is this breaking news? Of course the R is > 1. If it wasn’t then the number of cases wouldn’t have risen.

Not so.  R rate measures the acceleration of the increase in numbers infected, not the increase.  The following three examples are oversimplified, i.e. they don't take any account of the latency period etc, but they still illustrate the effects of different R rates:

1.  R rate = 2

Day one 10 cases.  Day two 20 cases.  Day three 40 cases.  Day four 80 cases.

2.  R rate = 1.

Day one ten cases.  Day two 20 cases.  Day three 30 cases.  Day four 40 cases.  Etc.

3.  R rate = 0.5

Day one ten cases.  Day two  15 cases.  Day three 17.5 cases.  Day four 18.75 cases.  Etc.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tigger123 said:

Prat Hancock 

Before I get any stick for giving a downvote, I feel that posting this under c**t gallery is highly disrespectful 

• Downvote 6