When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Good to hear it mate, rest up.

@Zoo Music Girl Can you sign up for these studies or do they chose at random?

We got an invite through the post one day. But pretty sure it was because we'd recently done a different ONS survey. 

Pretty sure you can't sign up as my brother looked. It's all to do with them selecting different demographics and geographies so they know how widespread the virus is in the community. 

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

Yo! I'm on the ONS study at the moment. Just done the first month (so 5 visits) and signed up to do one a month for the next year. 

In all honesty I don't mind the swabs at all. I feel a bit weird for a while afterwards but get over it very quickly. The thing is they're not testing them quickly so you don't actually get results... I think they say it can be three weeks til they know, so you have to still go get a normal test if you have symptoms. We've only been given swabs as well - no blood/antibody tests. 

Voucher wise there's a bloody loads of options, there's a list under #11 here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/surveys/informationforhouseholdsandindividuals/householdandindividualsurveys/covid19infectionsurveycis#will-i-be-paid-for-taking-part

In all honesty if you can easily be in the same day ever week for a month (I'm WFH so no problem) it's a no brainer in my opinion. 

Cheers! Disappointing that you don't get the results but otherwise I think you'd convinced me. I presume they have to tell you if you get a positive, even if it was weeks back? Or not?

Wonder how they decide about the antibody thing. Both me and my partner had symptoms around Feb/March time so wondering if that would swing it.

8 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

You should definitely do it. The swabs really are absolutely fine. At most it's a total of 20 seconds discomfort whilst they do it and maybe a minute afterwards. All for £50. Worth it for me. 

Sadly I won't be getting one, we never got Boris's letter so I don't think the government actually know where we live.

The letter! Fuckin hell, that seems like years ago

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

This is annoying for us in England.

The child aspect is the bit that annoys me personally so I'd be much more in favour if we had the Scotland or Wales approach. As said above, I can see no possible reason why us meeting four from the same household is any less risky than five from the same household when they all share germs. Seems pretty arbitrary.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Good morning. I tested negative. I guess that’s good news but I still don’t feel well. I’m going to stay as I am self isolating until I feel better! Thanks for all the well wishes!

Feel better soon mate! 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

On 7/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, mikegday said:

I actually don’t think meeting in a restaurant and visiting someones house is the same. I think you’re much more likely to keep distance i.e sit across the table for instance, than if you were lounging in someone’s house. I think the familiarity of someone’s house means you let your guard down. But everyone seems to be saying it’s absurd that people can meet in a pub but not their house - am I the only one to disagree?

Bringing this back, because despite a bit of criticism at the time, many thought I was talking nonsense, 3 months on and all signs point to this being very clearly what is happening!! Meeting in your family and friends house is no good. 

Edited by mikegday

7 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Bringing this back, because despite a bit of criticism at the time, many thought I was talking nonsense, 3 months on and all signs point to this being very clearly what is happening!! Meeting in your family and friends house is no good. 

yes, easier to keep social distancing in pubs/restaurants...but I think other reason is closing pubs/restaurants would lead to more job losses and economic damage.

17 minutes ago, mikegday said:

No, it's just meeting people in your own house doesn't help the economy.

10 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Do they? 

I'm not aware of any evidence that backs up the governments focus on the home rather than businesses.  The difference is that meeting each other in the home doesn't involve spending any money, so if the government is trying to thread the needle between limiting the spread of the virus and not affecting growth, it makes sense for them to focus on the forms of social contact that do not involve economic activity.

I've seen plenty of stories about outbreaks in pubs (although not as many as meat processing plants), but not many about transmission in the home, although I can see why they would be less eye catching in headlines.  Do you have any evidence I'm not aware of? 

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do they? 

I'm not aware of any evidence that backs up the governments focus on the home rather than businesses.  The difference is that meeting each other in the home doesn't involve spending any money, so if the government is trying to thread the needle between limiting the spread of the virus and not affecting growth, it makes sense for them to focus on the forms of social contact that do not involve economic activity.

I've seen plenty of stories about outbreaks in pubs (although not as many as meat processing plants), but not many about transmission in the home, although I can see why they would be less eye catching in headlines.  Do you have any evidence I'm not aware of? 

but if pubs do what they're supposed to do then they can keep social distancing, and do the contact tracing thing...who knows what's going on in people's houses.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do they? 

There was a study I came across ages ago. That about 80% of community transmission happens at home but that was along the lines of 1 family member infecting the rest of the household rather than meeting at home.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but if pubs do what they're supposed to do then they can keep social distancing, and do the contact tracing thing...who knows what's going on in people's houses.

I can keep social distancing in my house and have a 100% accurate contact tracing system for my house (I know when people have been here and have their numbers).

The one argument is that it's easier to enforce in pubs, but it's not being enforced - certainly people visiting restaurants and pubs with people from other households are being seated more closely than they are in my house...

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

I can keep social distancing in my house and have a 100% accurate contact tracing system for my house (I know when people have been here and have their numbers).

The one argument is that it's easier to enforce in pubs, but it's not being enforced - certainly people visiting restaurants and pubs with people from other households are being seated more closely than they are in my house...

yes, but not everyone is you.