When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 9/9/2020 at 7:57 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Yep I’d presumed that would always be the case must be an absolute ball ache for you guys and then trying to maintain the levels of teaching too ... full admiration ... it was more that this is kind of setup with the knowledge of breaking them ... what you talk of is responding to circumstance that probably can’t be helped :( 

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, we are all doing our best but it’s proving difficult to keep the bubbles separate in terms of room usage; there’s only so many rooms! 

We had a Year 11 girl off today with all of the major COVID symptoms. She’s getting a test. If it turns out positive, I assume it will mean that the entire year group has to isolate for a fortnight due to them sharing communal areas at break and lunch and I would assume all teachers who have come into contact with Year 11 will also have to isolate (I’m not sure if this is the case?) for two weeks as well (which would be a hell of a lot of staff, myself included as I teach them 4 times a week). 

Also, one of my colleague’s sons (aged 9) was sent home from school today after a student in his year group bubble tested positive. The whole year group have been told to isolate for 14 days. As his son is having to isolate, does that also mean that my colleague will have to isolate for the same duration as they live together? 

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

was just about to post this :(

Just based on yesterday figures Bolton was the highest in the country with Tameside at 4th - this list was the top 12 based on yesterday's figs in Daily Fail

1. Bolton 131.1 (377), 72.0 (207)
  2. Bradford 78.4 (423), 52.8 (285)
  3. Birmingham 77.1 (880), 31.2 (356)
  4. Tameside 72.0 (163), 38.9 (88)
  5. Preston 71.3 (102), 37.0 (53)
  6. Salford 70.7 (183), 40.6 (105)
  7. Sunderland 69.1 (192), 8.6 (24)
  8. Blackburn with Darwen 66.8 (100), 50.8 (76)
  9. Manchester 64.9 (359), 43.8 (242)
  10. Rochdale 63.4 (141), 44.1 (98)
  11. Bury 62.3 (119), 27.8 (53)
  12. Burnley 61.9 (55), 38.2 (34)
Edited by shoptildrop

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

160 is the highest so far for anywhere. And theyve been under some sort of restrictions for AGES now

They've only put proper restrictions on the pubs - only allowing takeout, so effectively shutting them - since Saturday, and since there can be quite a lag with seeing the benefit on measures.

However, it's quite possible that this will be offset by the schools being reopened. Time will tell, but I'd give it another week before we can call the latest measures a failure in Bolton.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing

They have very quietly exempted couples in “established relationships” from social distancing. I mean, most of us weren’t anyway, but it’s good that we’d be allowed to have social bubbles with our partners if other visitation is stopped. 

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

An encouraging article. I know AZ aren't especially impartial in these matters, but at least they should be fairly well informed:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/10/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-is-still-possible-this-year-says-astrazeneca-chief

My money is on approval over the Christmas period/early Jan and the bulk of us being vaccinated at the tail end of winter or March

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Nope came through my door at random. Addressed to "the resident" not me personally.

You should definitely do it. The swabs really are absolutely fine. At most it's a total of 20 seconds discomfort whilst they do it and maybe a minute afterwards. All for £50. Worth it for me. 

Sadly I won't be getting one, we never got Boris's letter so I don't think the government actually know where we live.

5 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’ve been thinking this for a while. Full Lockdown worked but it was a one off. I think people generally will have had enough by the end of Winter. By March we’re either pursuing Herd Immunity because there will be a critical mass of people who are done with it and would rather take their chances, or we have a Vaccine. If it’s the former that difficult and unpleasant conversation will need to be had.

If it's a critical mass of people that have had enough then they can all go out and spread it between themselves I guess! That's probably the best scenario really. Reaching herd immunity without actually forcing anyone to go catch it, because of having loads of volunteers!

18 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If it's a critical mass of people that have had enough then they can all go out and spread it between themselves I guess! That's probably the best scenario really. Reaching herd immunity without actually forcing anyone to go catch it, because of having loads of volunteers!

It sounds this is already happening here in the North West....

4 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

You should definitely do it. The swabs really are absolutely fine. At most it's a total of 20 seconds discomfort whilst they do it and maybe a minute afterwards. All for £50. Worth it for me. 

Sadly I won't be getting one, we never got Boris's letter so I don't think the government actually know where we live.

Yeah I probably will. The info that came with the letter is pretty thorough, so going to look through it all today.

10 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Anyone else got the ONS study request? Got one today and I'm considering it. Do a throat and nose swab every week for four weeks and then once a month for 12 months. Possible blood tests too. You get a £50 voucher for taking part and possibly more for doing more as you go along.

Debating whether to do it or not. Would like to help but are the swabs really horrible? Also anyone know what the voucher is for as it doesn't seem to say?

Yo! I'm on the ONS study at the moment. Just done the first month (so 5 visits) and signed up to do one a month for the next year. 

In all honesty I don't mind the swabs at all. I feel a bit weird for a while afterwards but get over it very quickly. The thing is they're not testing them quickly so you don't actually get results... I think they say it can be three weeks til they know, so you have to still go get a normal test if you have symptoms. We've only been given swabs as well - no blood/antibody tests. 

Voucher wise there's a bloody loads of options, there's a list under #11 here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/surveys/informationforhouseholdsandindividuals/householdandindividualsurveys/covid19infectionsurveycis#will-i-be-paid-for-taking-part

In all honesty if you can easily be in the same day ever week for a month (I'm WFH so no problem) it's a no brainer in my opinion.