When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I come on here now and then just to find updates on the situation so I can avoid mindlessly scrolling twitter. So guess how my day went when I found out I'm up for redundancy on the same day new restrictions were put in place. Worst 24 hours of my life. The events industry needs saving sharpish.

as above from stevie ... sorry to hear that ... what were you doing ? 

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Hey @FestivalJamie what's the deal with consistently voting those with a differing viewpoint to yours?

at least its not me for once getting the telling off for downvoting... theres been a few comments today which I think deserve a good downvote but ive stopped myself and just scrolled past them!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Quark said:

There's a theoretical situation in an old David Gemmell book I read years ago.  If a city of 100,00 people faces destruction, but would be averted by the sacrifice of 10 children, would you pay that cost? Some will always say that's not a price worth paying, regardless of the total number of deaths as a result. And some will always look at it as a simple case of numbers. The challenge is finding the bridge between those schools of thought, and that's when you look for leadership. Unfortunately we have fuck all of that.

amen.

34 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Cummings is smoking something herbal I think. He is all over the place. This moonshot idea has got Cummings fingerprints all over it. This is a quote from a Times article which set out a load of critics and critiscm of the idea (Not sure what is going on there - they are not often this critical) .

There is McKinsey bollocks in both ideas. 

“Jon Deeks, professor of biostatistics at the University of Birmingham and leader of the Cochrane Collaboration’s Covid-19 test evaluation activities, said: “The document lacks insight into how screening works, particularly the need to balance the harms you can create through false positives against the benefits from true positives.

“The projected benefits are based on optimistic scenarios as to how well these tests would work, when they would be available to be used, and how easily they could be deployed. I’m horrified that the plans are devoid of any contribution from scientists, clinicians, and public health and testing and screening experts. These are plans from the world of management consultants and show complete ignorance of many essential basic principles of testing, public health, and screening. The authors appear totally oblivious to the harms that universal screening can create — this is frankly dangerous.”

Edited by chuckles07

26 minutes ago, SDSM said:

at least its not me for once getting the telling off for downvoting... theres been a few comments today which I think deserve a good downvote but ive stopped myself and just scrolled past them!

13 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Here it is...still flashing green, phew!

748E476D-7A48-4803-9216-9332DD354950.jpeg

Does this one work when phone is locked? 

2 hours ago, kaytee... said:

I come on here now and then just to find updates on the situation so I can avoid mindlessly scrolling twitter. So guess how my day went when I found out I'm up for redundancy on the same day new restrictions were put in place. Worst 24 hours of my life. The events industry needs saving sharpish.

Yeesh, sorry to hear that dude :(

2 hours ago, Radiochicken said:

Respectfully I’d disagree with that. I think 100% the goal was not the overwhelm the NHS. You could assume that’s synonymous with saving as many lives as possible, but actually it’s not. Hence why we saw patients discharged back into Care Homes to free up beds. If the actual goal was the save as many lives as possible, the restrictions on our lives at the time, and now, would be much greater.

Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic there tbf. I do see the two as being synonymous, but I can see why you'd argue otherwise. Also, have a bonus point for "respectfully disagree". That normally precedes someone putting the absolute boot in :lol:

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Out of upvotes but @Quark speaking the most sense today.

Christ on a bike. Sign of the end times that.

49 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Current restrictions not doing the required job then ? What’s in place now i? Have they just imposed the 10pm restriction ? 

I think its mostly people back at work and schools being back, I live behind a school myself... I'm seeing high mask wearing and people generally trying to give you space but there are a lot of folk out and about doing all those things the Gov wanted us to in order to get economy back, so this what happens when you do that - I don't think we can't just blame a contingent of people tbh

Speaking to a few of my friends who work in office, some places are basically everyone back in the office as normal cos they are paying loads for an office they are not using (that one is Stockport)

Rules are as follows: 

• Bolton has the biggest restrictions of no mixing of households anywhere, all hospitality to become take out and close by 10pm (That when into effect immediate the other night), try not to use public transport and the usual rest of the country restrictions
  • Oldham (less than Bolton) are no mixing of households at home or in any settings, try not to use public transport and the usual rest of the country restrictions
  • Tameside, Manchester, Trafford, Rochdale, Bury and Salford (Slightly less than Oldham) - no mixing of households in any settings and the usual rest of the country restrictions
  • Wigan and Stockport (lowest) are like the rest of the country as restrictions were lifted
  • Obviously the usual rest of country exemptions apply across all of Greater Manchester

Problem is there is mass transit across the boroughs, Tameside is a main through route into the centre from the East and we have the M60 go through it.

Me personally I go out twice a week to get food or booze, work from home and not been many places at all. Been to a non-food shop twice, had one pedicure and been post office about 6 times since 20th March. No met anyone or visited anyone since that date either (I do live with my other half who has not even left the house in all that time, but he is a germophobe anti-social bugger anyway sooo it suits him :lol:)

also, in Manchester there are 40 schools already who having to quarantine a bubble year and that's in less than a week :huh:

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Rules are as follows: 

•  
  • Oldham (less than Bolton) are no mixing of households at home or in any settings, try not to use public transport and the usual rest of the country restrictions
  •  

Is the Oldham one in law or just guidelines? And assume people there travelling outside of the area is a no-no too?

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Is the Oldham one in law or just guidelines? And assume people there travelling outside of the area is a no-no too?

Not sure might be guideline and you know what I'm not 100% sure on don't travel outside the area as that's impossible for workers, I think it's just don't travel or meet other households but you can work, shop or go to the pub 

Just now, shoptildrop said:

Not sure might be guideline and you know what I'm not 100% sure on don't travel outside the area as that's impossible for workers, I think it's just don't travel or meet other households but you can work, shop or go to the pub 

So say, erm, hypothetically, somebody's parents were to travel to their house outside the area. They're more than happy for these people to go into the pubs near us, but not into our house even though we don't really go anywhere apart from masked up to the supermarket. Logical. 

Probably easier for us to go to Oldham and isolate when back to be honest....