When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

My aunt had the virus in April and didn’t have to go to hospital, she stayed at home.

Its now September she’s still having severe relapses and continual fatigue. She’s not got any underlying health problems.

Im just trying to emphasise the damage this virus really can do to people and their way of living. I personally don’t think any increase in cases is acceptable even if deaths remain low, the health problems associated from this virus could inhibit people’s ability to fight future viruses.

It's a good point. It's not just hospitalisations, another reason why rising cases is important is because of long term health effects that might not be picked up by hospitalisations. In a recent BMA survey, a third of doctors have treated patients with long term covid-19 symptoms, including chronic fatigue and anosmia.

These aspects are a very real part of this virus and should mean people stay as vigilant as possible. Whilst people might not be going to hospital as much at the moment it doesn't mean that there aren't dangers.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Here you go, it's the most recent testing capacity carried out.

Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 17.06.38.png

Thanks, that’s concerning that’s testing appears to have decreased across that period with an increase in cases. Could be some big moves over the next few weeks with schools and unis going back, just hope it’s watched closely and acted on swiftly

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is a stretch but the long covid FB group has 20k members, so if you took them as having long term effects 20k of 347,152 confirmed cases is about 5% of cases. Which doesn't seem to OTT as a percentage of cases to have long term effects.

I took him as meaning all 3000 cases today will have long term health problems

2 minutes ago, Baggins7 said:

Thanks, that’s concerning that’s testing appears to have decreased across that period with an increase in cases. Could be some big moves over the next few weeks with schools and unis going back, just hope it’s watched closely and acted on swiftly

In the same regard does that mean fewer people required the tests at that point? I know there’s been news recently of people having trouble getting tests but you can only test the people who apply or who have been admitted 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

There's got to be something weird going on with the figures, like some added from an earlier date? For a Sunday, that's crazy.

An element of that. But its definitely a big rise

Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s First Minister, has pointed out that context is needed when looking at this data, saying: “Comparisons with earlier in year need a bit of context - back then we were testing far fewer people and mainly those in hospital, so reported case numbers then were likely to have been a much bigger underestimate of true prevalence.”

Edited by zahidf

Yeah I don't think we can make comparisons to March really - as people have said we were testing hardly anyone then, so if numbers exceed the March numbers it definitely doesn't mean we are in a worse position than March. Also we have some treatments now that do seem to lessen severity of the disease and reduce deaths.

That said we definitely do have to be cautious and we don't know much at all about the long-term effects. 

@parsonjack has a handy little graph for showing ratio of tests to cases; hopefully he will update.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s First Minister, has pointed out that context is needed when looking at this data, saying: “Comparisons with earlier in year need a bit of context - back then we were testing far fewer people and mainly those in hospital, so reported case numbers then were likely to have been a much bigger underestimate of true prevalence.”

Completely agree here, they estimate 100,000 people were being infected a day and now that stands at around 2000

I watched this video the other day and found some of the statistic reassuring when considering the full context of things happening now 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't think that's accurate. Not everyone who has died from this was "close to death". Some were certainly leading fully functional lives managing health conditions. 

My mates dad was pretty healthy. Shocked a lot of us when it happened. 

My uncle was one of those already suffering from a terminal disease. 

Are UK hospitalisations being accurately updated? Seems to be at 124 per day most of the time (I haven’t been looking too closely, but whenever it’s posted here, it seems to be 124)...case numbers rising here too, hospitalisations increasing in line with that (doubling every week or so...sounds familiar!)...still at a low level at the moment, but probably risky to assume that cases can keep rising and not end up resulting in more hospitalisations (at least) and more deaths (though hopefully improved treatment will help here)... but, you never know...

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't think that's accurate. Not everyone who has died from this was "close to death". Some were certainly leading fully functional lives managing health conditions. 

Yeah maybe I was overegging it slightly. Point is though that most of us are not at risk from this.

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Are UK hospitalisations being accurately updated? Seems to be at 124 per day most of the time (I haven’t been looking too closely, but whenever it’s posted here, it seems to be 124)...case numbers rising here too, hospitalisations increasing in line with that (doubling every week or so...sounds familiar!)...still at a low level at the moment, but probably risky to assume that cases can keep rising and not end up resulting in more hospitalisations (at least) and more deaths (though hopefully improved treatment will help here)... but, you never know...

That figure is updating, it's not easy to measure though as the different home nations report at a different time to each other and Wales report all people in hospital with suspected COVID. 124 hospital admissions is for 26th August as well. 

15 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Completely agree here, they estimate 100,000 people were being infected a day and now that stands at around 2000

I watched this video the other day and found some of the statistic reassuring when considering the full context of things happening now 

very useful for context ..... I also use this tracker on the bbc as im in a low risk  area .....fortunately at 1 case per 100,000 at the moment https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

very useful for context ..... I also use this tracker on the bbc as im in a low risk  area .....fortunately at 1 case per 100,000 at the moment https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

We’re at 50+ per 100,000 in Dublin at the mo...Eeek! There’s a head cold circulating the schools too, so testing centres were swamped this weekend!

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That figure is updating, it's not easy to measure though as the different home nations report at a different time to each other and Wales report all people in hospital with suspected COVID. 124 hospital admissions is for 26th August as well. 

Ah, I see...we’ve less to count, so it’s updated daily at the same time as the test results (though I’m still amazed our health service is managing this!)...

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

We’re at 50+ per 100,000 in Dublin at the mo...Eeek! There’s a head cold circulating the schools too, so testing centres were swamped this weekend!

Unfortunately it only helps in areas with low cases but it sometimes provides me with reassurance .... how often do you test yourself ?